• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Battle of Trenton

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
The summer and fall of 1776 marked a low time in the American Revolution. The Continental Army suffered a series of defeats at the hands of the British and their Hessian mercenaries, and was pushed out of New York. Enlistments faltered, the Continental Congress was discouraged, Loyalists were emboldened and Patriots on the run.

Washington took a gamble. On the night of December 25th, 1776, he crossed the icy Delaware River with 2,400 men, using Durham boats operated by Glover's 14th Regiment, comprised largely of Marblehead (MA) fishermen and watermen.

Attacking from three directions, the attack was an extraordinary success. They killed, wounded or captured most of the 1,000 man Hessian force, with only two deaths and a few casualties. Reports that the Germans were drunk and asleep were not accurate: but they did not expect attack and had not posted adequate sentries and were making no patrols.

The strategic impact of the battle was far greater than the military significance. It proved Americans could defeat European Regulars; encouraged the Continental Congress, reinvigorated enlistments, and perhaps most importantly, convinced the French that the American cause was worthy of their support.

In Marblehead's Abbott Hall is a copy of the famous painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware - ironically painted by a German, Emanuel Leutze. It's not particularly accurate: the flag shown was not in use at the time, and Durham boats were 60 feet long. I prefer this version. Oh - and Frohe Weihnachten!

Killingyouinyoursleep-L.jpg

Last edited:
It always gave me pride, going back to when I was a little kid reading about the history of the Revolution, that New Englanders spearheaded the Battle of Trenton as the guys operating the boats.

I made the point on another forum that the perspective of that painting is facing south with PA to the right or west and NJ to the left or east.

As a young man I had always thought the painter was facing north until I thought more about it.

Nice thread OP. Thanks.

The summer and fall of 1776 marked a low time in the American Revolution. The Continental Army suffered a series of defeats at the hands of the British and their Hessian mercenaries, and was pushed out of New York. Enlistments faltered, the Continental Congress was discouraged, Loyalists were emboldened and Patriots on the run.

Washington took a gamble. On the night of December 25th, 1776, he crossed the icy Delaware River with 2,400 men, using Durham boats operated by Glover's 14th Regiment, comprised largely of Marblehead (MA) fishermen and watermen.

Attacking from three directions, the attack was an extraordinary success. They killed, wounded or captured most of the 1,000 man Hessian force, with only two deaths and a few casualties. Reports that the Germans were drunk and asleep were not accurate: but they did not expect attack and had not posted adequate sentries and were making no patrols.

The strategic impact of the battle was far greater than the military significance. It proved Americans could defeat European Regulars; encouraged the Continental Congress, reinvigorated enlistments, and perhaps most importantly, convinced the French that the American cause was worthy of their support.

In Marblehead's Abbott Hall is a copy of the famous painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware - ironically painted by a German, Emanuel Leutze. It's not particularly accurate: the flag shown was not in use at the time, and Durham boats were 60 feet long. I prefer this version. Oh - and Frohe Weihnachten!

Killingyouinyoursleep-L.jpg
I don’t post pictures on here but there is a reason why I spent 2k on an exact hand painted replica of this and have it hanging over my fireplace....Because REAL Americans are willing to cross a frozen river in the middle of the night and kill the enemy in thier sleep for our freedom, THATS WHY! Oh, and on Christmas Day too!!!!! Great post and Merry Christmas Patriots!!!!!!

As a side note, the town of Leyden (near Greenfield) has a dedicated Hessian cemetery. I don't know the time span but from my understanding Leyden became a haven during and after the American Revolution. Many sought and were given amnesty ending up with American citizenship, living and dying in that small W. MA town. There remains today a number of kin with German surnames.

I don’t post pictures on here but there is a reason why I spent 2k on an exact hand painted replica of this and have it hanging over my fireplace....Because REAL Americans are willing to cross a frozen river in the middle of the night and kill the enemy in thier sleep for our freedom, THATS WHY! Oh, and on Christmas Day too!!!!! Great post and Merry Christmas Patriots!!!!!!
The painting in Marblehead is huge - maybe 8 or 10’ high.

Glover’s Regiment had gained fame by fighting a rear guard action in New York. It is argued (by Marbleheaders, at least) that Glover is also founder of the U.S. Navy, at the behest of Washington. He owned the Hannah.

Most of them left the Regiment at the end of the year. Many went to sea as Privateers, a much more lucrative undertaking.

washington-crossing-11436ca25cd49ed2.jpg

Howe had been kicking American ass for a year, but Washington made a strategic move - and Howe a strategic blunder - that made the victory possible.

Washington, recognizing that his much-reduced force could not stand and fight in New Jersey, wrote to the governors of NJ and PA, and the PA militia Commander Colonel Richard Hampton on December 1st. He asked that all boats - particularly the Durham boats - be brought to the PA side of the river and secured under guard. This allowed the Americans to escape to Pennsylvania, leaving the British behind.

Howe, convinced the campaign was over for the winter, divided his force into a number of relatively small garrisons. He situated them too far apart to aid another garrison promptly. Another example of the adage “Amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.”

This opened the opportunity for Washington, and the plan and execution showed the nascent but growing ability of the Continental Army for planning, execution, and logistical support.

Above is an example of a Durham boat used in re-enactments. Their history is unclear, but their characteristics included a shallow draft flat bottom, walkways for poling, and metal rings for kedging/winching upstream.

Back
Top Bottom