The Auction results are IN! 1943 DOU K98 Thanks FRED!!!!

100% of the credit for this purchase goes to 50BMG, thanks Fred! I didnt even know the site this was listed on existed until he sent me the link.

I had been searching a bit for a more original condition than my MM k98. I bid on a local gunshops mismatched 43 K98 up to $800 but I finally had to give in as ( it ended at $838 ) I was ready to just order a particular onlide wholesalers "select" condition RC K98's for over $600 when Fred taked some sense into me. I waited until the last 10 minutes to drop my bid, the auction currently stood at $472, and I put in a "Im going to win this bid" I out bid the previous high bidder and the auction stood at $502.47..... Over an hour later, after finishing up with a customer, I got the email of good news I WON! I was a little frightened at how high the bid might have gone, fearing what my wife was going to say. As it turns out, it was my day. The auction ended with no additional bids at, yes $502.47

The UPS driver showed up today, so here she is! What do you think?

Heres all the parts that match [smile] Barrel,receiver,sight,front and rear barrel bands,magazine,follower,screws,butt plate,triggers parts,bolt release,extractor,firing pin, safety, and the rest of the bolt. Yes, the only 3 parts that dont match are the upper handguard, the stock, and the bayonet lug. No Import markings anywhere.

DSCN0263.jpg

DSCN0240.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0250.jpg

DSCN0249.jpg

DSCN0251.jpg

The only thing that appears to possibly need some help is the stock, as it was stored in what seems like damp or humid conditions..... Im not sure its a lost cause as it has been with this rifle for a long time. either way I dont give a damn, as I havent seen many Non RC'd, non import marked, K98 with that type of bluing at that price very often.

Im pretty sure between this and "speedway"s DOU44 it probably a pretty good week for NES'ers and K98's

Last edited:
This is a nice one!
The stock came from a K98k which was in French service, which is also the reason for the
bayo lug not matching. The French style bayo lug has been replaced by an original type.

This is a nice one!
The stock came from a K98k which was in French service, which is also the reason for the
bayo lug not matching. The French style bayo lug has been replaced by an original type.

May I ask what tells you that? The PH106? The odd sling setup?

I was initially worried when I received the rifle about the lack of waffenampts and serial number at the chamber area, but after Fred calmed me down and and did a buch of research last night it looks exactly like a late 43 Dou (except the stock )

Would the stock have been mismatched due to a feild replacement? I have a pretty strong feeling that the previous owner didn't mess with the rifle, and it was in his possession for a long time

Yep, the sling setup is the typical French style.
That stock has likely not been replaced during WWII, rather later.
The French had a lot of K98k's made at the Mauser Oberndorf plant from 1945 (svw MB code),
which had these modified stocks and the French bayo lug (to fit their MAS bayonets).
I've asked a fellow collector for the meaning and origin of the P.H.106, as I have no idea what it is
and will post the reply here.

ETA: Looks, like the rifle is a mixmaster, refurbed/[STRIKE=undefined]renumbered[/STRIKE] and changed by the French.
The (late, as in 1944 [STRIKE=undefined]or 1945[/STRIKE]) stamped mag box/trigger guard carries WaA 214, which was
assigned to Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabrik until 1944.
ETA2: Just learned, that Berlin-Luebecker actually made trigger guards/floor plates for DOU.
The upper band is also a 1944 or later part (stamped and welded). Both parts are in later specs than the 1943 DOM of the rifle.
No luck on the P.H.106 as yet.

Last edited:
Decent price for a complete matching action in a mismatched stock. Let us know how it shoots.

MS

Curious about the unit marks as well...

Decent price for a complete matching action in a mismatched stock. Let us know how it shoots.

MS

Curious about the unit marks as well...

Decent price for an all matching rifle including capture screws, ( excluding the stock) is that the best you can do[rolleyes]. God it seems unless you own it or buy it its not a good deal.[hmmm]

Great rifle Dan. It's been a long time since I saw a matching numbers rifle like that (with that much original bluing) go for that price. Don't expect to run into another one like that for $500.

Have fun shooting that bad boy. Those wartime 8mm's wear me out.

Yep, the sling setup is the typical French style.
That stock has likely not been replaced during WWII, rather later.
The French had a lot of K98k's made at the Mauser Oberndorf plant from 1945 (svw MB code),
which had these modified stocks and the French bayo lug (to fit their MAS bayonets).
I've asked a fellow collector for the meaning and origin of the P.H.106, as I have no idea what it is
and will post the reply here.

ETA: Looks, like the rifle is a mixmaster, refurbed/[STRIKE=undefined]renumbered[/STRIKE] and changed by the French.
The (late, as in 1944 [STRIKE=undefined]or 1945[/STRIKE]) stamped mag box/trigger guard carries WaA 214, which was
assigned to Berlin-Luebecker Maschinenfabrik until 1944.
ETA2: Just learned, that Berlin-Luebecker actually made trigger guards/floor plates for DOU.
The upper band is also a 1944 or later part (stamped and welded). Both parts are in later specs than the 1943 DOM of the rifle.
No luck on the P.H.106 as yet.

I will post what I read last night later, but if I remember correctly stamped parts were outsourced somewhere around the "s" block of rifles so the 214 would be correct

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/dou.pdf

This thread has a pic of what seems to be a "matching" 43 dou that also has a 214 trigger guard

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ith-Bayonet-and-Scabbard-quot-Bring-Back-quot

Last edited:
Decent price for an all matching rifle including capture screws, ( excluding the stock) is that the best you can do[rolleyes]. God it seems unless you own it or buy it its not a good deal.[hmmm]

I am the master of understatement[kiss]. DRB got a great K98 for a RC price, which goes to show if you look, you can find them.

MS

No luck on the P.H. 106 as yet.
This post http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114590 makes me believe that it's a French unit or arsenal mark,
it's P.H. 275, so pretty close to yours.
These marks are definitely not German. The only marks (beside proof) on the German K98k's stock discs were either O.xxxx
or N.xxxx inventory numbers for rifles issued to the Kriegsmarine (Navy). "O" stands for Ostsee (Baltic Sea) and "N" for Nordsee (North Sea); the xxxx were numeric.

Haven't become a German Mauser K98 man yet. So I must defer to the experienced collectors on price/condition/correctness.

I can say that I'm psyched that you're psyched!

Thank you all for the kinds words and insight into what has turned out to be a unique rifle!

Going to put a few rounds though it sunday.

drb

I had to re organize the safe, as things have gotten crowed recently[smile] I know many of you cannot get all of your firearms in the same picture at once, but heres mine

DSCN0303.jpg

Left Side

"Last Ditch" Type 99 Arisaka with bayonet My grandfathers bring home. came direct from a crate and has never been fired
1917 Gew98
43 Dou K98
refurb 91/30 Izhevsk ( my 1st C&R purchase )
Non refurb M44 Izhevsk

Right Side

43(?) Savage Enfield All savage including the stock, but import marked on the receiver
1918 Remington M1917 "Lend-Lease"
44 SA M1 Garand
43 Underwood M1 carbine

Bottom

43 Tikka M91 on a 1916 Tula receiver with "Deutches Reich" marked stock
40 VKT 4 digit serial M91 on undated Autrian marked Tula receiver
41 VKT M39 built on Chatellerault receiver

Great collection. Next should be a Finn M28 or a 1903/03A3.

Both are very high up on the list, it would be very nice to finish up the US basic collection with a nice 03a3.

While my next purchase is a LONG way off, my heart is already set on mostly correct mostly original M/N sniper. I'm thinking a PE, but we'll see

Back
Top Bottom