The Atlantic: Why Can’t Democrats Pass Gun Control?

Goliathan

NES Member
Piece written by Stepehn Gutowski, founder of The Reload.

President Joe Biden was dealt a significant setback this month when he was forced to abandon David Chipman, his nominee to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. The nomination was only the second he was forced to withdraw, and it was a blow to the gun-control groups who had backed Biden’s pick.

What went wrong?

To sum the article up, the NRA still has some teeth!
Or the NRA has been a paper tiger for years, mostly useful for groups like Brady to fundraise against?

TA said:
In the 2020 election cycle, the NRA contributed less than $1 million directly to candidates. That made it the 996th-largest donor for the cycle, according to OpenSecrets. The group spent about $5.4 million on lobbying in that same time frame, which put it a bit higher, at 169th. Since 2012, the NRA’s highest contribution ranking has been 294th, and its highest lobbying ranking has been 85th
"What i’m going to say is not earth-shattering: Our country is deeply divided on every issue,” a former aide to Republican Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania told me. “People who have deeply held beliefs on things, they organize and they represent themselves. On the left, there’s always this narrative against anything right of center, that the group that the people use to actually represent themselves in Washington is evil. And the only reason that people do it is not because they have deeply held values; it’s because they’re paid to do it, right? It’s just not true on, really, any issue.”

Over 100 people were shot in Chicago over the 4th of July weekend. That's a city which has some of the most strict gun laws in the country. Im guessing that none of the shooters were legal gun owners, so passing more gun laws would simply mean additional laws that the criminal shooters would ignore.
Gun control is simple. Just properly punish people who illegally use guns. For example, if you break into a home unarmed and steal a TV let's say you get 3 years in prison. But if you break into a home and steal a TV while carrying a gun you get 25 years in prison. I'm guessing the average criminal would consignor carrying a gun.
But the real problem is gang on gang shootings over the drug trade. Same logic should apply. Shoot another gang banger and go to prison for life, period. No plea bargains, no parole, no earned good-time. Just a life sentence.

Over 100 people were shot in Chicago over the 4th of July weekend. That's a city which has some of the most strict gun laws in the country. Im guessing that none of the shooters were legal gun owners, so passing more gun laws would simply mean additional laws that the criminal shooters would ignore.
Gun control is simple. Just properly punish people who illegally use guns. For example, if you break into a home unarmed and steal a TV let's say you get 3 years in prison. But if you break into a home and steal a TV while carrying a gun you get 25 years in prison. I'm guessing the average criminal would consignor carrying a gun.
But the real problem is gang on gang shootings over the drug trade. Same logic should apply. Shoot another gang banger and go to prison for life, period. No plea bargains, no parole, no earned good-time. Just a life sentence.
Chicago is black on black crime. Nobody cares.

To sum the article up, the NRA still has some teeth!

Looks like all you read was the first paragraph.

The article shows and gives data that it isn't the NRA at all. It is the people who are passionate about 2A. Their efforts outweigh the lobbyists and paid antis and are why politicians are afraid to pass something, for fear of losing their jobs.

Gangbanger shoots gangbanger= 1 less gangbanger.

Gangbanger shoots gangbanger= 1 less gangbanger.
Usually only after multiple attempts on their life.

There was a Chicago rapper shot dead a few months back, but it had taken three attempts on his life to get it to stick. You'd think a dude might retire after hospitalization #2.

Problem is that most of them are just wounded and the taxpayer picks up the tab to patch them up. That's what the $$ should go to. Soros? Jack.
Doesn't help that most 'bangers have no concept of caliber selection, marksmanship (thus the "innocent bystander" problem), or ammo selection -- consider all the photos showing street guns loaded with a random selection of ammo, mostly the cheapest FMJ rounds they can obtain.

Usually only after multiple attempts on their life.

There was a Chicago rapper shot dead a few months back, but it had taken three attempts on his life to get it to stick. You'd think a dude might retire after hospitalization #2.

Doesn't help that most 'bangers have no concept of caliber selection, marksmanship (thus the "innocent bystander" problem), or ammo selection -- consider all the photos showing street guns loaded with a random selection of ammo, mostly the cheapest FMJ rounds they can obtain.
Well that and good shot placement while holding your pants up with one hand is a bitch.

Piece written by Stepehn Gutowski, founder of The Reload.

I noticed now - for a last couple of days at least - when you try to play random YouTube news links a same bitch pops up and starts talking about bad guns.

I noticed now - for a last couple of days at least - when you try to play random YouTube news links a same bitch pops up and starts talking about bad guns.
Click on the circled lower-case "i": (i),
and select "Don't show this ad to me again: Inappropriate".

The more an ad is reported as some kind of sexual innuendo,
the more likely it is to waste some woke drone's time at YoutUbe,
and the more likely they are to just withdraw it as not worth the hassle.

ETA: It's especially fun with Donk political ads.

They tried this years ago in Richmond, it was called Project Exile.
They set up special "Gun Courts" and gun crimes were prosecuted under federal law, which carried much harsher penalties and no parole. It was too successful because criminals soon got the message and gun crime rates dropped like a rock. But, the lefties said it disproportionately affected African-Americans and got the program shut down.

They tried this years ago in Richmond, it was called Project Exile.
They set up special "Gun Courts" and gun crimes were prosecuted under federal law, which carried much harsher penalties and no parole. It was too successful because criminals soon got the message and gun crime rates dropped like a rock. But, the lefties said it disproportionately affected African-Americans and got the program shut down.
In Chicago it wouldn't work because there are few, if any, arrests. Jack.

It’s because regular pro-gun people call, write and visit their congresscritters over the gun issue. This makes the NRA seem influential but it’s really a true grass roots self-driven effort that the astroturf Mad Moms and other Bloombergonians can only dream of.

I'm super pumped to piss off the coastal metropolitan elitists, that lament that the biggest obstacle in their pursuit gun confiscation are voters who exercise thier 2nd amendment rights.

I switched my browser to Brave and havent seen an ad in forever

1. NRA still has power.

2. Most congresscritters understand that gun control is the legislation that will send them packing. (Which is why things like term limits will have massive unintended consequences.)

3. Ergo - meaningful gun control was finished during the Clinton administration. That was the pinnacle and the likely highest point. It is likely that the current bend of federal judicial decisions will continue in the pro-gun direction. It will take years, but we will look back on 2A in 50-75 years like we do for civil rights. It was inevitable. Even if the somewhat-popular-consensus swung away, the votes are not there to overturn 2A by Constitutional Convention. It'll look like RvW for a long long time.

Or just defund the police, that might work. [laugh]

Chicago is black on black crime. Nobody cares.
They ought to care. A lot of the victims are innocent people -- just kids in the neighborhood killed by gangbangers spraying bullets. Or accused (wrongly) of being in some rival gang and then getting popped in the head.

Here are some interesting statistics about the power structure in Chicago:
1. 2,240 Shootings, 440 Homicides from January thru July 2020. Almost every shooter and homicide were BLACK - 97.7%, but BLM and Chicago‘s Democratic Politicians blame “police and systemic racism.”
2. The Chicago mayor is black.
3. The Superintendent of Police is black.
4. The Cook County States’ Attorney is black.
5. The Chief Judge of Cook County Circuit Courts is black.
6 The Illinois Attorney General is black.
7. The Chicago Fire Department Commissioner is black.
8. The Cook County Board President is black.
9. The State Senate Majority Leader is black.
10. The Illinois Lieutenant Governor is black.
11. The Illinois Secretary of State is black.
12. The Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County is black.
13. The Cook County Clerk is black.
14. The Chicago Treasurer is black.
15. The Chicago Police Board President is black.
16. The Chicago Transit Authority President is black.
17. The CEO of Chicago Public Schools is black.
18. The Commissioner of the Department of Water Management is black.
19. 40% of the City Council belong to the Black Caucus. Their average pay is $122,304 annually each, PLUS $122,000 per year in expenses. Their pension for life is 80% of last pay. Republican head count in the City Council is ZERO. William Hale Thompson was the last Republican Mayor of Chicago in 1931. For 89 years Democrats have controlled the Chicago Mayor’s Office. At the end of fiscal 2019 the Chicago deficit was $838,200,000

Back
Top Bottom