The Atlantic: "Democrats’ Unprecedented Embrace of Gun Control"

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Democrats’ Unprecedented Embrace of Gun Control: The party is betting that support for restrictions is more likely to attract moderate voters than turn them off.
This is the new normal in the Democratic Party: Moderate voters not only support gun-control legislation, but have begun to use the issue as a litmus test. In 2010, roughly 20 percent of all federal candidates who received “A” ratings from the National Rifle Association were Democrats; by the 2018 midterms, that number was down to less than 2 percent, according to Everytown for Gun Safety, a nonprofit advocacy organization founded in 2013 and largely funded by Bloomberg. Which means that Democrats in 2020 are embracing gun control in an unprecedented way, betting that their support is more likely to attract voters than turn them away—especially in the suburban districts that are quickly becoming central to the party map.

Nowhere has this shift been clearer than at this year’s Democratic convention, which was expressly designed to appeal to a bipartisan viewership and where gun control has been a central focus. On Tuesday, Representative Veronica Escobar of Texas spoke about the 2019 shooting in El Paso that left 23 people dead. A montage about the nation’s growing gun-violence-prevention movement was narrated by Emma González, who survived the Parkland, Florida, high-school shooting in 2018. Former Representative Gabby Giffords of Arizona, who was shot in the head in 2011 and who spent months relearning how to speak, called for reform in a moving speech last night. Bloomberg is likely to make similar calls when he addresses TV audiences tonight.

Four years ago, Hillary Clinton’s campaign welcomed mothers who had lost children to gun violence to speak at her nominating convention, the first remarks of their kind. But there were no such convention segments or panels on gun control as recently as 2012. “What people are seeing is gun safety not only mobilizes, but it also persuades the all-important independent and suburban voters who will likely decide the 2020 election,” says John Feinblatt, Everytown’s president.

Its a message that could very well fall flat on its face. I am an instructor, but I don't advertise. The main reason I became an instructor was to get my restrictions removed in Boston. I enjoy instructing, I just don't have a lot of time to do it. The only place my name is listed as an LTC instructor is on the MSP web site. This past Summer, I have been getting 1 or 2 calls a week from people in my area wanting to take the training class. Some people are getting scared and realizing that the police may not be there to protect them. That it is up to them to protect their selves and family.

There are so many new gun owners this year I cannot imagine this strategy working. Especially as Ds continue supporting riots in there cities and more people being driven to self defense.
They focus group these things.

It's foolish to equate a rise in firearm ownership among the uninitiated, even a substantial one, with support for the RKBA. My guess is the vast majority of those who have purchased firearms for the first time are more than supportive of the Democrats' proposed firearm prohibition regime.

There are so many new gun owners this year I cannot imagine this strategy working. Especially as Ds continue supporting riots in there cities and more people being driven to self defense.

The Donks are going for broke on every anti wet dream that has been conceived. Biden's gun control points on his website really didn't miss any PITA legislation that has been proposed by whack jobs in California, NYC, and elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't think all the new self defense driven gun owners are going to help us much if at all to defend against the reinvigorated war against 2A.

Pistol- check.
Box of ammo- check.
Safe storage-check.
Shoot a few rounds at a range- check.
Vote D this fall- on the 'to do' list.

There may be some exceptions, but I think that the majority of D's who bought their first gun will continue to vote D. I seriously hope I am wrong.

I'd like to agree with this, but remember that a lot of team D are bigots. The Middlesex Cabal cocktail party country club a**h***s with a $5k shotguns types telling a widowed mom in the ghetto she can't have a gun to protect herself from the gang members that like to use her front porch as a hang out spot when she's coming home from working the late shift.

The left loves bigotry and double standards. Rights for me and not thee, serfs need to know their place, we are enlightened and you mouth breathing hayseed deplorables aren't.

Seems to me that every time a politician puts all of their eggs in the gun control basket, they end up losing.
It's not just the guns, though. The Donks are going full-court-press far-left agenda on EVERYTHING. They're that convinced fraud-by-mail will be a lead-pipe cinch.

It's not just the guns, though. The Donks are going full-court-press far-left agenda on EVERYTHING. They're that convinced fraud-by-mail will be a lead-pipe cinch.
I'm not too worried about the donks these days. I think that Trump has done a lot to expose the media and the dems for what they are. There are lots and lots of new gun owners that felt defenseless when everything started going sideways.
I'm not saying that Trump doesn't have his faults. I think the guy is an ass, but big picture wise, I think that he has been brilliant. I just wish he wouldn't speak off the cuff. He should rely on his experts for the technical stuff. And no more twitter.

I'm not too worried about the donks these days. I think that Trump has done a lot to expose the media and the dems for what they are. There are lots and lots of new gun owners that felt defenseless when everything started going sideways.
I'm not saying that Trump doesn't have his faults. I think the guy is an ass, but big picture wise, I think that he has been brilliant. I just wish he wouldn't speak off the cuff. He should rely on his experts for the technical stuff. And no more twitter.
You should worry about the Donks and fraud-by-mail. Their trial run in the NY27 Congressional special election - where the R was up by 31 points in-person, only to see it evaporate to FIVE points - shows they can, and will, do it. And the media will back it up, pointing out all their polls show the Donks are favored. (Polls are bullshit, of course, but the plan is to use them to buttress the fraud: "See? The polls were RIGHT!")

You should worry about the Donks and fraud-by-mail. Their trial run in the NY27 Congressional special election - where the R was up by 31 points in-person, only to see it evaporate to FIVE points - shows they can, and will, do it. And the media will back it up, pointing out all their polls show the Donks are favored. (Polls are bullshit, of course, but the plan is to use them to buttress the fraud: "See? The polls were RIGHT!")

It's not so much the fact that they did it , it's the fact there wasn't a prison bus full of people being frog walked into a federal courthouse that bothers me.
I expect them to cheat , it's the Dim way.

It's not so much the fact that they did it , it's the fact there wasn't a prison bus full of people being frog walked into a federal courthouse that bothers me.
I expect them to cheat , it's the Dim way.
Shit, in the case of NY27, it wasn't even a, "Hey, that much of a disparity based of means of voting is stinkier than SpaceCritter's mountain bike gear! Mayhaps we should get to the bottom of this!"

At least in Paterson, NJ, people WERE arrested and a new election has been ordered:

Back
Top Bottom