The art of handgun dynamics

Medic-554

NES Member
Morning everyone. Has anyone bought and watched:

Magpul Dynamics: art of the dynamic handgun with Chris Costa and Travis Haley? If so what are your thoughts? The preview looks awesome.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

Last edited:
Its got some good stuff.

Like any other video of this kind, you watch it, think about it, try some things, and keep what works for you.

You might get more responses if your thread title was a bit more descriptive. You can changed it under Advanced.

Subbing in for more info as I've wondered about these videos myself. Obviously one on one instruction is preferable, but not always possible, so my thoughts were similar to what Don said about picking up even a few useful things.

Meh. I think it was both fun and interesting to watch. Haley and Costa are freakin' machines running their pistols.

But the video is, to me, more like a reality TV show than an actual class. And they move through the material very fast. If you already don't know what they're talking about, I don't think they explain or demonstrate anything slowly enough or in enough detail to actually learn the skill.

I would say its good as an entertaining brush-up for already accomplished shooters. I would not recommend it for people ho are trying to learn fundamentals initially.

I have a friend that raves about the videos and is currently saving $$ so he can take a class with Chris Costa in Wyoming. Unfortunately he lost his videos to a jealouse ex girlfriend, so borrowing his isn't an option

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

How to maximize my kinetic delivery system in a critical dynamic situation while servicing the target to full potentiality , then look right and left like a mofo ... ?

How to maximize my kinetic delivery system in a critical dynamic situation while servicing the target to full potentiality , then look right and left like a mofo ... ?

Then this is the perfect instructional video.

Good video quality. Solid drills to practice. Some "real-life" scenarios they play out with critiques is neat.
Would buy again.

What makes a respected instructor? Word of mouth? Experience? Years of gun ownership? Fathers? Grandfathers?

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

If you're serious about shooting defensively... take classes, watch videos, compete in different types of defensive shooting groups.

Take all that data and file it in one of 3 types: useful, not currently useful, or useless.

Costa/Haley stuff is worth watching. Maybe learn one new thing.

What makes a respected instructor? Word of mouth? Experience? Years of gun ownership? Fathers? Grandfathers? Ma LTC-A GOAL Member

Word of mouth. Who do you know who has taken a class with them.

If it is a competition shooting class, what is their classification? In other words, you really don't want to take a USPSA class from a C/D class shooter like me. But you do from a grandmaster like Mike Seeklander.

I agree word of mouth is a solid choice, to a point tho. There are some ppl that are really good at what they do but can't teach worth crap. Anyways. Lots of great advise once again on this forum and I'm so glad I became green. Thanks to everyone! I will invest in the videos, take what I see and place it in 3 categories and practice what I see then possibly refine those skills with other ppl's input and class experience. After being a paramedic for 14 years I have learned that you can never learn enough and practice practice practice and then do it again. I owe it to myself and to my family to safely handle, operate and understand the responsibility of being a gun owner for defensive purposes.

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

If you're serious about shooting defensively... take classes, watch videos, compete in different types of defensive shooting groups.

Take all that data and file it in one of 3 types: useful, not currently useful, or useless.

Exactly. I had always used the standard "Tap, Rack, Bang" protocol because .. . well, I'm not sure why.

One thing I got from the video is to tilt the muzzle slightly up and actually LOOK at the gun to see what kind of malfunction you have.

Then of course i swivel my head around like Linda Blair on crack.

Don

For those of you too young for the reference

[video=youtube_share;bSxuXQCEC7M]http://youtu.be/bSxuXQCEC7M[/video]

Exactly. I had always used the standard "Tap, Rack, Bang" protocol because .. . well, I'm not sure why.

One thing I got from the video is to tilt the muzzle slightly up and actually LOOK at the gun to see what kind of malfunction you have.

Then of course i swivel my head around like Linda Blair on crack.

Don

For those of you too young for the reference

[video=youtube_share;bSxuXQCEC7M]http://youtu.be/bSxuXQCEC7M[/video]

Lol nice

Ma LTC-A
GOAL Member

I agree word of mouth is a solid choice, to a point tho. There are some ppl that are really good at what they do but can't teach worth crap. Anyways. Lots of great advise once again on this forum and I'm so glad I became green. Thanks to everyone! I will invest in the videos, take what I see and place it in 3 categories and practice what I see then possibly refine those skills with other ppl's input and class experience. After being a paramedic for 14 years I have learned that you can never learn enough and practice practice practice and then do it again. I owe it to myself and to my family to safely handle, operate and understand the responsibility of being a gun owner for defensive purposes.

I've purchased some videos, even from very good instructors. But they didn't do nearly as much for me as taking a class from them.

The reality is that most "respected" instructors techniques have not ever really been tested. And if they have been, the data set is exceedingly small.

So could you explain what you mean by results.

I bought the first Dynamic Carbine dvd at a gun show while in VA for work because I was board. I watched it and enjoyed it enough to buy the other ones as they came out. I don't consider watching videos "training", but they do point out a few things that make you think about what you do at the range. If you have a few hours to waste on a rainy day, they are pretty long, I say go for it. The out takes are pretty funny, too.

This sums it up pretty well.

I think videos are an easy way to learn about new/different techniques. But without feedback on whether you are doing the technique correctly, they are of limited value. They are good to review before taking a class

I gave a NRA basic pistol class to a 22 year old kid who had never shot a real gun before in his entire life.

He had watched all these videos. He was a Travis Hailey fanboy of the highest order.

But here's the funny thing. He asked me if we were going to be practicing holster draw and mag changes. I explained to him that that was outside the scope of the class, then asked why he was asking.

He then explained that he had watched the magpul videos and purchased an airsoft glock, extra mags, a holster and mag carriers.
With the airsoft gun he demonstrated a nice smooth, safe draw and faster reloads than i am capable of. I was astonished.

He said that he was able (to supermoto's point) monitor his efforts by video taping himself with his phone and critiquing his techniques, then he adjusted and continued.

I was astonished.

Don

p.s. He did swivel his head left and right and kindof pout while doing it. Just like Chris Costas.

I just grabbed Haleys Adaptive Pistol DVD, as well as McNamaras TAPS. Ive heard decent stuff about both, and McNamara seems to favor IPSC (sp?) style drill in his book.

Back
Top Bottom