• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Army has Charged Bowe Bergdahl with Desertion,

Bowe Bergdahl found during California pot raid, released by officials http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/24/bowe-bergdahl-found-during-california-pot-raid-released-by-officials/ Bowe Bergdahl, the U.S. soldier who was released in a prisoner exchange in Afghanistan for five Taliban detainees, wound up in the middle of a pot raid earlier this week in northern California. Captian Greg Van Patten with the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office told Fox News Thursday that the county’s marijuana eradication team encountered Bergdahl on Tuesday while serving a search warrant on a home in Redwood City, Calif..... ...An Army spokeswoman, Cynthia O. Smith, confirmed to Fox News that Bergdahl was picked up in California. "U.S. Army North was contacted by the Mendocino County Sheriff's office on July 21 regarding an incident within their jurisdiction in which SGT Bowe Bergdahl was present,” Smith said. “SGT Bergdahl was on authorized leave in California at that time. He was not arrested and has returned to his duty station at Fort Sam Houston He has not been charged with any crime involving his time on leave,” she added. Van Patten said the marijuana eradication team discovered 180 mature plants being grown outdoors,..... Isn't he still on active duty? I have zero military experience but what happens to a soldier found at the scene of a crime?

I think the article explains things. What happens to you when you are at a crime scene and there is no evidence to suggest that you are involved? I'm sure the Army will make further inquiries and something might develop during the course of the investigation but why would the Army be "different " somehow?

Military selects rarely used charge for Bergdahl case

http://news.yahoo.com/military-selects-rarely-used-charge-bergdahl-case-144326544.html

..Observers wondered for months if Bergdahl would be charged with desertion after the deal brokered by the U.S. to bring him home. He was — but he was also charged with misbehavior before the enemy, a much rarer offense that carries a stiffer potential penalty in this case....

...Bergdahl could face a life sentence if convicted of the charge, which accuses him of endangering fellow soldiers when he "left without authority; and wrongfully caused search and recovery operations."

Huffman and others say the misbehavior charge allows authorities to allege that Bergdahl not only left his unit with one less soldier, but that his deliberate action put soldiers who searched for him in harm's way. The Pentagon has said there is no evidence anyone died searching for Bergdahl....

...For Bergdahl, the Article 99 offense allows the prosecutors to seek a stiffer penalty than the desertion charge, which in this case carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison....

5 years max for desertion? How is that nearly enough? And how come he's on active duty and didn't have an accident yet?

5 years max for desertion? How is that nearly enough? And how come he's on active duty and didn't have an accident yet?

He's the POTUS' fair haired child. If he had a spineless, cowardly, traitorous white son, he'd look just like Bergdahl. I'm willing to bet nobody can get close enough to lay a hand on him, let alone get away with it.

Remember, he's nominally a sergeant, and he's now doing some sort of administrative duty, probably far from any maneuver unit. I doubt his fellow EMs in whatever finance, admin, or logistics unit he's in are motivated enough for street justice against an NCO.

As for the penalty, I don't get it either. I'm guessing it has to do with them not being able to show he was deserting in order to "join" the enemy and fight against friendlies, but that seems pretty thin to me.

Last edited:
And he's back in the news...

Ex-Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, court-martialed in 2017 after being accused of abandoning his post in Afghanistan, filed suit in a bid to get his conviction tossed out.

Fox News reported court papers were filed Wednesday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. The suit accuses former President Donald Trump and the late Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., of exerting “unlawful command influence” over the case.

“The scandalous meddling in a specific case by leaders of the political branches — one of whom was commander-in-chief of the armed forces — would never be tolerated if the proceeding had been a criminal prosecution in this or any other federal district court and should not be tolerated in a court-martial,” the court papers say.

Trump had blasted the decision not to incarcerate Bergdahl after a judge had ruled no prison time for the former army sergeant.

And he's back in the news...

Ex-Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, court-martialed in 2017 after being accused of abandoning his post in Afghanistan, filed suit in a bid to get his conviction tossed out.

Fox News reported court papers were filed Wednesday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. The suit accuses former President Donald Trump and the late Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., of exerting “unlawful command influence” over the case.

“The scandalous meddling in a specific case by leaders of the political branches — one of whom was commander-in-chief of the armed forces — would never be tolerated if the proceeding had been a criminal prosecution in this or any other federal district court and should not be tolerated in a court-martial,” the court papers say.

Trump had blasted the decision not to incarcerate Bergdahl after a judge had ruled no prison time for the former army sergeant.
I miss the good old days when deserters were executed.

It’s shameful for him to be referred to as a Sgt or NCO. He was a private when he turned traitor and only promoted by some f***ed up policy per TIS v captivity if I remember correctly. He should be referred to as the US Traitor formally ranked as Private. Even that is an insult to all the good Privates out there.

Bergdahl must have finally figured out that losing all VA benefits such as free health care was was an unanticipated consequence of his desertion.
So now he has found a publicity seeking atty to file an appeal at no cost. No chance of prevailing normally but with Biden in charge????

They probably had this in their pocket hoping Trump would be out of office. Can he be pardoned? Look for Biden to do that on a Friday evening before a long weekend. We'll never hear about it.

They probably had this in their pocket hoping Trump would be out of office. Can he be pardoned? Look for Biden to do that on a Friday evening before a long weekend. We'll never hear about it.

Obama refused a pardon, so I don't think it's likely.

This guy is a fantastic example of a mega shit ton of people talking out of both sides of their mouths. It was pretty well known that he just walked off his base and was picked up. And I can remember here on NES forever ago members still believing that he was captured in the more traditional sense of the word. The Army knew he walked off. Yet the Army and it's 100% fail leadership still went off hunting for him. And people died over it. Soldiers died trying to fish out a guy who said f*** it and walked off into hell. That's insane. It's about as dumb as walking off the base in the 1st place. One thing happens to officers after they get that 1st star, they lose portions of their brain. Add additional stars and more brain mater is removed.

Then we have the US government negotiating a prisoner swap. Keep in mind, this is for the guy who walked off his base on his own free will.

The US .gov gets what it "wants." He's freed and some great and friendly Taliban assets are set free. And for what? So the US .gov can throw this moron in jail?

Here's the break down.

Guy who walks off base traded for:
-Deputy Chief of Taliban Intelligence
-Senior military commander, a known war criminal who is also now back in the fight
-Chief of Staff for the Taliban and another known war criminal
-Taliban Interior minister who openly supported attacks on West post release
-Taliban chief of communications

The people who need to be in jail the most are the ones who organized this deal. Bergdahl is a moron. And morons are everywhere. The people who pulled this scam off are dangerous, as they intentionally freed 5 whackjobs who are for sure going to stir up some major trouble for a complete moron.

Obama refused a pardon, so I don't think it's likely.

This guy is a fantastic example of a mega shit ton of people talking out of both sides of their mouths. It was pretty well known that he just walked off his base and was picked up. And I can remember here on NES forever ago members still believing that he was captured in the more traditional sense of the word. The Army knew he walked off. Yet the Army and it's 100% fail leadership still went off hunting for him. And people died over it. Soldiers died trying to fish out a guy who said f*** it and walked off into hell. That's insane. It's about as dumb as walking off the base in the 1st place. One thing happens to officers after they get that 1st star, they lose portions of their brain. Add additional stars and more brain mater is removed.

Then we have the US government negotiating a prisoner swap. Keep in mind, this is for the guy who walked off his base on his own free will.

The US .gov gets what it "wants." He's freed and some great and friendly Taliban assets are set free. And for what? So the US .gov can throw this moron in jail?

Here's the break down.

Guy who walks off base traded for:
-Deputy Chief of Taliban Intelligence
-Senior military commander, a known war criminal who is also now back in the fight
-Chief of Staff for the Taliban and another known war criminal
-Taliban Interior minister who openly supported attacks on West post release
-Taliban chief of communications

The people who need to be in jail the most are the ones who organized this deal. Bergdahl is a moron. And morons are everywhere. The people who pulled this scam off are dangerous, as they intentionally freed 5 whackjobs who are for sure going to stir up some major trouble for a complete moron.
My great uncle was in the navy 36? years. Forced to retire because of age. The Navy hired him as a private employee after he retired and put in another few years.
He served in WW2, Korea, Vietnam. Was a Master Chief for most of it. He told me that they tried to make him an officer many times, every time he refused, not that he couldn't handle the responsibility, it was because he said... if I remember right, this was 20+ years ago he told me.. too much politics, too many dumb orders from the top, and he didn't want to lose the respect of the guys below deck.
I'm sure the decision to go find the guy wasn't well received by a lot of guys, almost like Saving Private Ryan. None of them wanted to do it, and some didn't come back.
Sucks. Those families must have been pissed when they found out the truth..

Back
Top Bottom