• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The aggravation of building a FDE rifle

I think that for 2600 bucks you should expect some reach around. I don't know why it's so f***ing difficult to consistently paint the same f***ing parts in one color. You'd figure that in this day and age we could at least manage that. f***ing Home Depot will match their color far better than that, shit backyard counterfitters who misspell Chenel could match better than these "advanced manufacturers" ... there is probably some dude in a garage drinking Coors light and painting these with a paintbrush. We send spaceships to moon, mars, uranus ... but humanity can't match a f***ing color.

If people like to shell out 2600 and be grateful that they were f***ed in ass, they will absolutely should expect more f***ing in ass. It's like poor people worshiping HK.

I too know this struggle JL... I can't get anything to match my OD G43

WHITE OPERATOR PROBLEMS. I shall weep with you.

Famous army Fashion consultant Mr. leo says “This whole camouflage thing for me doesn’t work very well, whys that? Because I can’t see you, it’s like wearing stripes and plaid, if your going to fight make a statement...”

…. if you're going to fight, clash!

Great movie. Maybe the older guys will pick it up. I did.

OP: Are you trying to build an effective firearm, or are you trying to build yourself yet another gay clothing outfit?

OP, I have a solution. Transfer the rifle to me, then you won't have a mismatched rifle anymore. Problem solved [smile]

I run into this trying to match up wood on garands and other rifles that have several pieces.
Matching paint is a PITA also. Try a color match with any paint then go home and paint half your wall.

Assembling a FDE rifle with parts from different manufacturers is a fool's errand. No chance it'll match. Keeping the receiver set black would help break it up a bit, but the different shades will still annoy some people.

Zu0Hrwj.jpg

Where does one get the multi-colored bullertz at the bottom-center there???? I'd need the small one b/c I don't have a 308 caliber rifle.

FDE color matching drives me crazy too!!! I'm having a hellavu time getting my Barbies to match! Ugh, those shoes...

3a20dbe5692c02855584ed6fa29e133b3c4cefaa.jpg

On a serious note, components from the same manufacturer should match perfectly- at least to the layman's eyes. If the stuff from a single source doesn't match, that manufacturer is doing a piss poor job of sourcing and/or QC. My wife works in a color lab and they have a steady stream of firearm related components coming through for matching. Skilled techs do their best but it still takes many attempts to get a match. This stuff is evaluated in all types of light including natural. Of course once the hard work is done in a US or European lab, often the manufacturers send the formulas to China where the parts are molded and come back looking like shit.

Even if the components come from different manufacturers, there are still color standards to follow. If they cared to pay attention to their job, FDE could be consistent enough from one source to another that you could not notice a difference.

Yes, it's fun to pick on you for your 'fashion sense', but you make a valid point. A little attention to detail from the manufacturers would have those components matching. The only reason they don't match is because the manufacturers are too cheap to bother.

I don't know why expecting something this simple get this much pushback, especially on a fairly expensive rifle. How many people drop 2600 on regular basis buying guns? It's like you are shopping at HF and expecting your hammer to only last one afternoon of work.

If manufacturer can't paint in consistent color, they should sell stripped parts and let someone to else do the job. Plenty of companies do this. Do you ever see different shades of brown UPS or Red-Yellow dunking donuts shades? It could be done if manufacturer cares.

If this tells me anything, the "manufacturer" outsources parts somewhere and sells them at healthy mark up or they suck so hard that they can't get a consistent paint on volume production. Either way, sounds like France has been f***ed yet again. I bet the gun maker is immigrant German, still the hate, new genetic makeup. [laugh]

I remember when the Woodland pattern GORE-TEX bivy sacks were first issued in the USMC.
The scuttlebutt was that they didn't match the color requirement for the Army and were rejected, then handed over.
Looking at them, we couldn't find any difference from our camouflage uniforms, but who knows?

I don't know why expecting something this simple get this much pushback, especially on a fairly expensive rifle. How many people drop 2600 on regular basis buying guns? It's like you are shopping at HF and expecting your hammer to only last one afternoon of work.

If manufacturer can't paint in consistent color, they should sell stripped parts and let someone to else do the job. Plenty of companies do this. Do you ever see different shades of brown UPS or Red-Yellow dunking donuts shades? It could be done if manufacturer cares.

If this tells me anything, the "manufacturer" outsources parts somewhere and sells them at healthy mark up or they suck so hard that they can't get a consistent paint on volume production. Either way, sounds like France has been f***ed yet again. I bet the gun maker is immigrant German, still the hate, new genetic makeup. [laugh]
Go to UPS depot you will see all sorts of brown, odd color bumpers and such.

now thing is you did not buy a $2600 from one manufacture.
Your buying parts from different manufactures and possibly manufactured by some one else for these companies?

good luck and post some pics.

Looking at Geissele web site thier own rifle on the home page does not even match and they call thier color Desert Dirt and it looks more like a bronzy glitter paint to my eyes?
These parts dont match
Upper Parts

Now the more I think about it theres nothing "dark" about FDE?

If its any help , im trying to refinish a stock in a dark red dye. Theres 2 spots that wont take the dye well and its more light strawberry than dark red!

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg Sorry for the pics. iPad and bad lighting. Sue me.
Ballistic advantage 14.5" with YHM flash hider, BCM gas block, Geissele 13" mk8 rail, Fail Zero BCG, wmd LPK, BCM grip and stock, Geissele airborne ch, Super Dynamic Combat trigger and super precision scope mount, Vortex Viper PST 1-6 gen2. Surefire scout 600 dual fuel is on the way here, and goes in an Arisake 45 degree mount. That's all, kids. Back to. Bed.

Last edited:
View attachment 262876 View attachment 262877 Sorry for the pics. iPad and bad lighting. Sue me.
Ballistic advantage 14.5" with YHM flash hider, BCM gas block, Geissele 13" mk8 rail, Fail Zero BCG, wmd LPK, BCM grip and stock, Geissele airborne ch, Super Dynamic Combat trigger and super precision scope mount, Vortex Viper PST 1-6 gen2. Surefire scout 600 dual fuel is on the way here, and goes in an Arisake 45 degree mount. That's all, kids. Back to. Bed.
Now its time to hit all that black with some
https://www.amazon.com/Majic-Paints-8-0855-2-Camouflage-1-Quart/dp/B000Z4ZVHS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546911802&sr=8-2&keywords=desert+tan+paint&th=1&psc=1

Then work on breaking up the hard lines...

maybe a DIY battle worn kit
To Hell and Back Distressing Kit

This way you want have to actually use and put wear on the $2600 rifle.

ok enough i want to see a range report

Last edited:
If they're not all colored at the same time, then there could be slight variations in color from batch to batch. So either suck it up [buttercup], or have all the parts you want to match Cerakoted at the same time (PM me if you want to do that). With the same batch/mixed volume you'll get them to match. Or be so damn close it won't matter. I also see two different FDE colors for Cerakote, so you would need to pick with one (Magpul or not).

If the parts are anodized, then the amount of time in the dye batch can give you slight changes in the actual color. Pull it out sooner, or later, than the other batch and it can be a bit different. Probably still within the color range.
So um, you cerakote?

Back
Top Bottom