• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The aggravation of building a FDE rifle

Man, NOTHING effing matches. Even when ordered from the same manufacturer, colors are not the same. 3 Geissele parts (charging handle, rail, scope mount), 3 different colors. The LPK from WMD and the BCM Stock and grip don't match either. Add the FDE Pmags, and I'm up to 6 different shades of tan. FML. I'm not cerakoating all this shit, so don't even suggest that. I'm not going nuts with a rattle can on a $2600 rifle either, screw that. I guess I'll never get it to match my purse and shoes.

Man, NOTHING effing matches. Even when ordered from the same manufacturer, colors are not the same. 3 Geissele parts (charging handle, rail, scope mount), 3 different colors. The LPK from WMD and the BCM Stock and grip don't match either. Add the FDE Pmags, and I'm up to 6 different shades of tan. FML. I'm not cerakoating all this shit, so don't even suggest that. I'm not going nuts with a rattle can on a $2600 rifle either, screw that. I guess I'll never get it to match my purse and shoes.
Sucks you cant get a match from the same manufacturer. Even in black they often dont really match 100%. Such is life...

SCAR_17S_L.jpg

TURN DOWN FOR WHAT

Haven't you heard diversity is where it's at. ;)

If they're not all colored at the same time, then there could be slight variations in color from batch to batch. So either suck it up [buttercup], or have all the parts you want to match Cerakoted at the same time (PM me if you want to do that). With the same batch/mixed volume you'll get them to match. Or be so damn close it won't matter. I also see two different FDE colors for Cerakote, so you would need to pick with one (Magpul or not).

If the parts are anodized, then the amount of time in the dye batch can give you slight changes in the actual color. Pull it out sooner, or later, than the other batch and it can be a bit different. Probably still within the color range.

glad i'm not the only one that's anal about this stuff. the only thing I've got that truly matches is a magpul crt stock and moe pistol grip. the rest of the stuff is mismatched. and metal parts seem to take color a few shades off from plastic when they're done at the manufacturer. I went the rattlecan route on one build then didn't care after that.

I’m still sitting here trying to figure out what I would pay $2600 for and have it in FDE?
Any finish is not going to match if done at different times. Even cure time can effect end color, temp, humidity and so on.
I say just go shoot it, get it dirty and worn out. Maybe you will spark the next trend of mis match colors?

Just thinking about this a bit. So now you know if you want it to match gou need to order everything in the "white" and have it finished in the color you like.

Famous army Fashion consultant Mr. leo says “This whole camouflage thing for me doesn’t work very well, whys that? Because I can’t see you, it’s like wearing stripes and plaid, if your going to fight make a statement...”

Last edited:
I so don't care what something looks like as long as it's hunk is together and it runs.

Having a white balance difference of like 20% between my eyes helps. Doninanr eye sees white as dull drab brown. Off eye sees white as white. w3c color scale is just neh to me.

I have found that OD green is easier to match .I know anodizing FDE is a crapshoot. Temp tolerance is so short.

Back
Top Bottom