• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The $399 "safe" thread

Ok I'm dumb is there a battery that needs to be replaced in a Sentry electronic keypad?
Also can't locate my emergency 'skeleton key'
can I contact Sentry to get a replacement?

If it matches the photo, its probably a lever tumbler lock (good) rather than a skeleton key (bad). The former are generally keyed individually, so it depends on how much info Sentry keeps on file.

Ok I'm dumb is there a battery that needs to be replaced in a Sentry electronic keypad?
Also can't locate my emergency 'skeleton key'
can I contact Sentry to get a replacement?

It you have a digital keypad, like on my Liberty, there is a small plastic piece that slides / pops out on the bottom of the keypad assembly, and you change a small square 9V battery. If you've had the safe a while, eventually you will hear multiple beeps instead of one when you open it. That means it's near time to change out battery. If you wait too long, it may just do multi beeps and not open at all, which means you need to change the battery as in NOW. Use Duracell (I don't work for them) , but they do seem to have the longest life. It takes a while for the battery to die with a good battery.

I don't bother with safes for a number of reasons. A few are unless you really spend a lot for both fire protection and security, then they are not, even in a smash and grab. Even then, you're sort of advertising there may be something valuable to be had at a later point or to anyone who notices it. I've always approached it with an out of sight mentality. I also like to build things so scattered about are wall panels and such that most would just walk by. The locking mechanisms are also hidden and are actually part of the builds. As for state compliance, each has a trigger lock or cable if push comes to shove. I can configure and reconfigure as I wish as the structures are wooden.

Here's one opened up. There's more in it that's showing on the right wall.

cropped wall panel 1.jpg

Here's another. There's a few pump shotguns on the left, various barrels for them above and more mags up the right wall.

rebuilt_zpsvwouaynt.JPG

As for other accruements like holsters and such, I just use them as wall hangers in my game room/bar. I also have many replica air-guns of my actuals that are also wall hangers so I guess it's like hiding the fact in plain sight.

walls.jpg

There is a model and serial number sticker on the back I may contact them. Thanks for all the relies!!

Bro, are you new to NES?
You get as many personal loans as possible, you take all the money out, buy gold and hide it.
You then sell the house, take the money and hide it. Declare bankruptcy. She gets nothing.

I learned that in the Economic Doom thread and every divorce thread on NES. it's on the internet, it must be good advice.

Joking aside ...

I read almost the entire thread, I like the idea of multiple small safes. I know it might not work for the OP due to his wife controlling him (JK), but that is what I was planning to do for several reasons, easy to move, easier to organize, I dont need to have everything in one safe... I understand their fire rating might bot be great, and their steel might not be the thickest, but this is the way I think about it ... if someone breaks into your house with an angle grinder, they already know what you have and any safe can be opened, I dont have any crazy expensive one of a kind guns, insurance can cover the cost. Also, Install a wifi camera in the room.
Not new, I was alway a "Cheaper to keep her" or you go the SSS route..........

When I replace the batteries will it retain the keypad password ? Have not replaced the batteries since purchasing about 12 years ago.

Glad you found something that works but you gotta change the thread title to "The Don't Get Married If You Enjoy Your Autonomy Safe Thread". Come on my man.....you gotta get permission from the wife on what safe to get? Unless you can't afford it or it's unreasonably big for the space you have.

Growing up, I remember hearing my mom tell my dad no to something he wanted to get maybe once....he laughed as he wheeled it into the house lol took her 48 hours max to get over it.

Man, I don't think I'm ever getting married....

Glad you found something that works but you gotta change the thread title to "The Don't Get Married If You Enjoy Your Autonomy Safe Thread". Come on my man.....you gotta get permission from the wife on what safe to get? Unless you can't afford it or it's unreasonably big for the space you have.

Growing up, I remember hearing my mom tell my dad no to something he wanted to get maybe once....he laughed as he wheeled it into the house lol took her 48 hours max to get over it.

Man, I'm married 20 years this year, I pick my battles wisely. I've gotten away with a ton of shit, and she's a saint.

Anyways, the safe works.

Man, I'm married 20 years this year, I pick my battles wisely. I've gotten away with a ton of shit, and she's a saint.

Anyways, the safe works.

Congrats, that's getting less common to find nowadays.

Maybe my day will come but as a single dude who never sees anything I do as getting away with something and kinda does as I please, it's always interesting hearing married people's take on things. Has made for some interesting convos with my few married friends....

On the safe side, good idea with the LEDs, it makes a huge difference. It looks like God himself is beaming out of the thing when I open mine up. Still wish I wired more in lol

Just a recommendation... after Christmas, hit up a Store when they clearance all the lights. I got a 10ft LED rope light for a couple of bucks and that’s what lights up my safe. It’s tied in to a motion sensor outlet adapte... which they also usually put on clearance

Just a recommendation... after Christmas, hit up a Store when they clearance all the lights. I got a 10ft LED rope light for a couple of bucks and that’s what lights up my safe. It’s tied in to a motion sensor outlet adapte... which they also usually put on clearance

I bought all the stuff you mentioned off Amazon after watching a YouTube video. Was about $30 and took less than 2 hours for me to finish. Probably would have been only 1 hour but I am pretty OCD when it comes to certain things/projects.

Meh, been with my wife for 15 years married for 12. If I want to buy something, as long as I have the money and my bills are paid she doesn't really care what I get(although she hates clutter). In fact she wanted protection in the house which is why I had originally gotten my LTC(long story that some people know but I'm also not posting it publicly)

I love looking at these photos of neatly organized safes wtih gun rods and such.

It seems every gun nut I know at some point rips the inside out and sticks the guns in gun socks, then stacks the up against each other. You can fit 2x as many guns that way.

Even more if you put guns with brakes or flash hiders in muzzle end down to stagger things.

I love looking at these photos of neatly organized safes wtih gun rods and such.

It seems every gun nut I know at some point rips the inside out and sticks the guns in gun socks, then stacks the up against each other. You can fit 2x as many guns that way.

Even more if you put guns with brakes or flash hiders in muzzle end down to stagger things.
No social distancing inside a gun safe

Back
Top Bottom