The $399 "safe" thread

I've outgrown my GSA 4 drawer safe, and need something exclusively for rifles. I have (right now) 6 rifles, and all of them have some sort of optic on them. Now I know everyone is going to say "buy bigger"!!!! But truthfully, it's an optics issue with the wife. If I buy a 16 gun safe and she sees the box she's gonna be like OMFG YOURE NOT GETTING 16 GUNS..... That happened once upon a time when she was more liberal than she is now.

Little does she know.

Anyway, it will be for the rifles and their magazines only, as I have a drawer dedicated to ammo (and a second and maybe third drawer if I get a dedicated rifle safe) as well as a drawer dedicated to pistols.

I'm looking at the liberty centurion 12 right now, because space is a factor. Any other suggestions are welcome. I am locksmith savy (but not a locksmith lol)....

And if you are upsizing and are selling, let's talk

I bought a BJs special $399 Wasatch 24 safe.

Last edited:
Buy the safe you want. Place wife in empty box. Return box to store. Enjoy the safe.

BJs or Costco (can’t remember which) usually run decent sales on safes. They aren’t top notch but they are decent enough. I got 2 of them and they generally run like $500 per. I have 8 or so long guns stored in there and a bunch of accessories on top. They come with those cheap holsters one the door for pistols I ripped them off and installed magnet strips and store my magazines on them.

I never heard anyone say I wish I had a smaller safe.

Talk to her and get the biggest safe you can afford and have the room for. Eastern is a good company at least they were years ago.

I bought a display at a gun show. Actually two of us worked a deal at the end of the weekend they dropped them at our houses on their way back to their shop. We went with Liberty they have held up well.

I'm a man with my own job and buy what I want. She is a woman with her job and buys what she wants.
As long as the bills are paid (I pay all the bills minus her credit card) she doesn't bitch about what I buy and I don't bitch about her Custom Maine made $500-$600 French leather handbags.

RC

I have a Centurion 12, and couldn’t fit 12 golf clubs in there, never mind rifles. The interior of the door protrudes into the safe, making storage along the side walls virtually impossible. I have 4 rifles in mine (two with optics) and worry about scratching.

Last edited:
I'm a man with my own job and buy what I want. She is a woman with her job and buys what she wants.
As long as the bills are paid (I pay all the bills minus her credit card) she doesn't bitch about what I buy and I don't bitch about her Custom Maine made $500-$600 French leather handbags.

Wow that is cheap for custom handbags these days. Methinks you are getting the same treatment we give the females when they ask how much the gun cost :p

What do you want? Fireproof? Heavy Security? Deter small children? Just a lockable box?

What do you want? Fireproof? Heavy Security? Deter small children? Just a lockable box?
Great questions. If I had my way, I would have this:

Class-5-Weapons-Container_Gray_right-194x300.jpg
Class-5-Weapons-Container_Gray_Inside_right-300x297.jpg

But unfortunately, I can't have my way. I'm looking for fireproof, and we'll say "medium" security - keep rifles out of teenager hands.

I've got one of these I'd make you a deal on. Holds 6 rifles, plus I've got some bins and a pistol rack.

I've got one of these I'd make you a deal on. Holds 6 rifles, plus I've got some bins and a pistol rack.
I'll keep this data point in mind. It's the right size for where it needs to go.....

I'll keep this data point in mind. It's the right size for where it needs to go.....
I bought it for the bedroom. After assembly and setup, the wife was not pleased with my idea. Her and I have different ideas for interior decorating sometimes. Now it sits unused in the basement. Never even programmed the lock.

Shop your local Tractor Supply, and maybe even check what the prices will be during the next sale (usually $50 to $100 off depending on size). They aren't top of the line, but they do the job and offer a decent amount of space for the price.

Check out what they have at Dependable Lock in Nashua. Dependable Lock Service Inc - Home Page At a minimum, delivery will be cheaper than Eastern. Take the advertised size and divide by 3 for a reality check on how many scoped guns you can put in there. Offer to keep the Wife's jewelry in it as well as important papers so you don't have to pay for a safe deposit box, etc.

Check out what they have at Dependable Lock in Nashua. Dependable Lock Service Inc - Home Page At a minimum, delivery will be cheaper than Eastern. Take the advertised size and divide by 3 for a reality check on how many scoped guns you can put in there. Offer to keep the Wife's jewelry in it as well as important papers so you don't have to pay for a safe deposit box, etc.
"Keep the wife's jewelry in it". What are you crazy??? Then she'll spot a new gun!!!!

Dependable is about a mile from the house and are closed right now (I'm friends with Gayle), but the last quote I got was for the Liberty Centurian 12, at MSRP of $549.

Also, we have a safe for that stuff already, and the real important stuff is in the GSA container.

That Agile Ulralight cabinet seems awfully light (105 lbs) for its size, I can't really tell what the locking mechanism is, and it seems expensive for what it is. If you were going to spend that much, I think you could do a lot better security wise. Of course, if it's going on a second floor and has to go up a tight stairway and lots of corners, and you're moving it yourself, perhaps something light is what you need. Also, if you have a dog(s) and/or a good security system, maybe you don't need the most secure cabinet/safe. Good luck!

That Agile Ulralight cabinet seems awfully light (105 lbs) for its size, I can't really tell what the locking mechanism is, and it seems expensive for what it is. If you were going to spend that much, I think you could do a lot better security wise. Of course, if it's going on a second floor and has to go up a tight stairway and lots of corners, and you're moving it yourself, perhaps something light is what you need. Also, if you have a dog(s) and/or a good security system, maybe you don't need the most secure cabinet/safe. Good luck!
Anything from Liberty or other cheap safes can be opened up in a couple minutes with an angle grinder. They are made of sheet metal and drywall. Any of them are fine for keeping kids out or keeping honest people honest. If you are going to spend the coin for a TL rated safe, you are talking 10× the price, at least.

"Keep the wife's jewelry in it". What are you crazy??? Then she'll spot a new gun!!!!
I don't hide things from my Wife. She has both MA and NH licenses and owns a few guns.

Anything from Liberty or other cheap safes can be opened up in a couple minutes with an angle grinder. They are made of sheet metal and drywall. Any of them are fine for keeping kids out or keeping honest people honest. If you are going to spend the coin for a TL rated safe, you are talking 10× the price, at least.
Yes, every thief carries a crowbar and angle grinder! Safes need to be part of a layered system. Locked doors/windows, alarms, dog, safe, etc. TL safes also weigh too much for the floor in many homes, so basement or garage is the only option for them.

Back
Top Bottom