• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The 10 Most Overrated Cartridges

mikeyp

NES Member
Much Fuddery in this

1. The .17s—All of Them​

17 caliber ammo cartridge

The .17 Remington. Richard Mann
I shot my first .17 caliber—it was a wildcat called the .17 O’Brien Mach IV—in 1976 on a prairie dog hunt, and noticed two things about it: First, the wind, no matter how light, toyed with its tiny bullets; second, a not-insignificant number of prairie dogs dragged themselves off to die rather than expiring instantly. I next used a .17 30 years later, and saw exactly the same thing. The combination of miniscule bullets and hyper velocity may have some entertainment value for some hunters, but for whatever is being shot, it does not.

Field and Stream is ok for hunting articles. For instance, if I want broad generalities about pheasant hunting or upland hunting guns, Field and Stream is an ok source. But if I want to drill down to a specific, nuanced topic, its not a very good source many times - there are exceptions, like the occasional good article.

As such, I don't really take this article seriously.

Anybody crying about recoil in a rifle below 0.400” is a pussy ass bitch that shouldn’t be writing for a gun magazine.
Lmao not exactly a great measurement. There are lots of belted magnums under .400. Lots.

The author opens the 9mm discussion by saying that it is the most widely used handgun cartridge in the world. Hard to make an argument that it is overrated! As others have said, he is clearly a .45 acp fan. So am I. Both rounds are part of my EDC choices.

I agree and disagree with opinion on 7mm Magnum.On paper out to 300 yards the trajectories are close for it and 270. I bought and quickly sold a 7mm magnum after playing with factory ammo and hand loads one summer. Quickest I ever discarded a rifle. For eastern deer hunting it provided nothing but more recoil and higher cost per shot

That said, if I were after moose or elk or western hunting the 7 mag with heavier bullets would be preferred.

My best friend and his wife are eastern deer hunters and big 7mm mag fans. Between them they maybe shoot a box of shells a year. They would totally disagree with me.

The author opens the 9mm discussion by saying that it is the most widely used handgun cartridge in the world. Hard to make an argument that it is overrated! As others have said, he is clearly a .45 acp fan. So am I. Both rounds are part of my EDC choices.
i get it. the most useless cartridges:
9mm, 10mm, .223, 22lr.

Back
Top Bottom