~ The “SHOOTER” DWM Imperial Luger ~ added photos . . .

150DOLLARLUGER-1.jpg

(Sorry folks, I'm only a week or so being late getting something out here for ya!)​
I paid the handsome sum of $150 a few decades ago after shooting it to see that it did function okay, such a deal! My team was competing away from home at the time and this fellow was selling the Luger. There was a lot of interest but no one really went for it. When I showed interest my buddy said don’t buy it, it doesn’t have “all matching numbers”! I told him that if that Luger functioned normally I’m buying it, I had always wanted a Luger ever since playing with cap-guns as a kid and this was my chance to finally own one.​

LUGERLEFT-1.jpg

Not all matching numbers of course. The magazine and the rear pin for the toggle don’t match I believe. The gun is tight and has a good bore and no noticeable major faults at all. The small chip out of the grip, under the safety is my doing.​

LUGERRIGHT-1.jpg

The holster and helmet were acquired in later years after the Luger and at even better prices. The Luger holster was given to me because I wouldn’t except money for doing a friend a favor. He knew I had a Luger so he gave me the holster and wouldn’t except anything for it. The helmet was a gift from dear ol’ Dad.​

LUGERDD-1.jpg

My Luger is double dated and I had wondered how this has come about. I had read or heard that double dates on the Luger were placed there to show that the barrel had been changed from 30 caliber to 9mm in that year (I don‘t believe this to be very correct). I also heard that the double date was placed there to signify that the Luger had gone through a factory refurbishing process on that date (1920). I guess it could have been both of these things in a way but I bumped into an article just recently that explains it in a way I hadn’t heard before:​

DOUBLE DATES:
The new (Weimar) German Government after WWI found itself with an armed citizenry with all the soldiers bringing their weapons home from the war.
On August 1st, 1920 the German authorities issued an order from Berlin that cited the impending disarming of the people required that all weapons of the armed forces were to be marked with the date to prevent people from stealing military supplies and selling them back to the government.
On August 7th, 1920 rewards were begun for the turn-in of weapons to the government paying 100 Marks (then about $23.50) for a small arm until October 10th after which the reward was to be reduced to 50 Marks. Thus began the disarming of the citizenry; a lesson that should not be lost on free people.

DWMLUGER-12.jpg

"DWM" bought Loewe & Co and began producing this type Luger about a year later thanks to the talents of Georg Luger a youthful engineer they acquired in the same deal.​

LUGERTOP-1.jpg

I've seen small letter "m & a" on other barrels and my Luger has the small letter "g" but I still don't have a clue as to what it stands for. I should have bought some chalk to help the lettering & symbols stand out a lot better.​

BARRELSMg-3.jpg
LUGERSMg-2.jpg

Ah, finally found out that the (g) stands for 70 thousand. The small (a) would stand for 10 thousand, (b) would be 20 thousand and so on down the alphabet. (j) must be 100 thousand, I should think? That would make my luger #78,786 for the year 1918. Hey, that makes a decent cribbage hand too! [smile]

LUGERBARRELSYMB-12.jpg
MILPROOF-2.jpg

LUGERSYMBOLS-1.jpg
LUGERTOGGLE-1.jpg

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I hope to be adding more Luger photos of the numbers, etc. to this thread from time to time and also some photos and info about the holster and helmet, eventually.​
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Last edited:
I've only been collecting guns for a little over a decade, so I can only guess that $150 was still a decent price for a mismatched shooter Luger 20something years ago?

Either way, it's certainly worth at least 4 times that now.

How long ago is a 'few decades"? A little inflation research shows that $3 now buys what $1 did in 1979. Even at 3:1, you can't get a Luger for $450 today, so your 'investment' has matured!

MS

Nice pistol and the history to go with it. Who could ask for more?
Thank you. I wont be asking for any more (can't afford it), this purchase soothed my soul on Lugers.

I've only been collecting guns for a little over a decade, so I can only guess that $150 was still a decent price for a mismatched shooter Luger 20something years ago?
Either way, it's certainly worth at least 4 times that now.
I believe you're right. I think it was closer to thirty years than twenty and it wasn't a steal at $150 but I believe it would be considered a pretty good deal.

How long ago is a 'few decades"? A little inflation research shows that $3 now buys what $1 did in 1979. Even at 3:1, you can't get a Luger for $450 today, so your 'investment' has matured!
MS
I believe I purchased the Luger somewhere around twenty-five to thirty years ago. Yup the Luger investment has matured nicely . . . I wish I could say the same for myself! [thinking]

6hold, this was one sweet deal! Did you shine up/polish the holster?
What are are markings on the back?

Our old timers keep on telling, that matching K98k's were around 100 Deutsche Mark
up until the early seventies. I'm too young by 15 years for that hobby[crying]

~ Slow and not too steady getting back to you . . .

Time to turn a profit on it, I'll give you $250.[smile]
Such a deal! [smile]

That is a gorgeous firearm. Nicely done, sir.
Thanks, I'm not sorry for buying it . . . or most any gun I own now that I think of it.

Now the other important questions: Are the helmet and holster legit?
Good question, I was hoping they were and I'm still not sure even checking different forums.

6hold, this was one sweet deal! Did you shine up/polish the holster?
What are are markings on the back?

Our old timers keep on telling, that matching K98k's were around 100 Deutsche Mark
up until the early seventies. I'm too young by 15 years for that hobby[crying]
* No haven't touched the holster. I though it was a good quality knock-off till I started investigating. Now I think it has a good chance of being legit. I'm slow getting around to things but I'll get some photos on here sometime soon, I hope.
* I'll photo the markings the best I can . . . the markings are what gave me hope the holster is original, we'll see for sure once you folks take a gander! [thinking]
* Didn't know what K98k's was so had to Google it. I'm going to put some markings on here from the Luger to see if I can get some idea what they mean and then the holster and helmet photos hopefully.

Dont listen to ray..i will give you $500
It's getting better all the time! [grin]

If were bidding.... I'll go $550!
Enticing it is, I wonder if they show up at the gun shops that often, I don't recall seeing any? They're probably put aside for certain customers perhaps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom