• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

That's Real NATO - my R1 FAL clone

As some of you may have seen or recalled, back in the spring I posted a thread on 7.62 NATO / 308 rifle opinions and options. At that time I was pretty set on a FAL, and was basically looking for a "talk me out of it" type discussion.

As a result of that thread, I had the opportunity to try @C. Stockwell 's FAL and at that point, I knew it was the right choice for me. I've shot M1As and AR-10s, but for me, the FAL is where it's at for 7.62 NATO.

I decided on an R1 clone, to copy the FALs seen in Rhodesia during the Bush War. Through FAL Files and GunBroker, I was able to source a good amount of original Rhodesian parts. DSA, as it so happened, had a waitlist/pre-registration for R1 clone receivers. I basically bolted out of a work meeting to place my order when the notification went out--I believe the batch sold out in about 35 minutes. While cobbling the parts together I delved into the history, reading Ian Smith's memoir Bitter Harvest: The Great Betrayal among other material to gain a better understanding of the period.

I ended up sending my parts off to Arizona Response Systems / gunplumber - for those in the FAL and AK community, you are likely familiar with his name and the reputation of his work. I received mine last week--about 4 months after I sent in my parts. I am very pleased with the results. So, without further delay, here's the pics:
20191215_150427.jpg

That is an original Rhodesian magazine.

20191215_150421.jpg

Here you can see the reproduction South African proof (M over U). The other side of the upper features a faux SA crest sanitation mark as well. The trigger housing / lower receiver is an original Rhodesian "A series" receiver.

20191215_150217.jpg
20191215_150252.jpg

The Rhodesians added an "RA" prefix and numbers to their parts typically, in addition to the numbers from the original manufacturer.

Here's a picture of the bolt carrier. Both the bolt, carrier, and top cover in this photo are original Rhodesian:

20191215_150257.jpg

If you look closely on the magazine, you can see "31874" scratched into the paint among some other numbers:

20191215_150450.jpg

With its "buddy" - an FN-made Browning Hi-Power I recently acquired.

20191215_150209.jpg 20191215_150315.jpg

Another facet of the R1 rifles are the combination gas plug/grenade launcher sight, as seen here:
20191215_150351.jpg

And also the combo muzzle device:
20191215_150442.jpg

I was pleased with how many original Rhodesian parts I was able to source. I think it really helps make it feel more authentic.
You may have also noticed the cut carry handle in some photos. The story I have heard is that a soldier had a case ricochet off his, with the case hitting him in the eye and blinding him. After that, many R1s had their handles cut off, leaving only the stem.

Here's the sight-in target provided from ARS (2 shots, 2 shots, 3 shots on the bottom):
1576452475289.png

It was pretty effective against my water jug ZANLA terrs this afternoon:

20191215_154849.jpg

Thanks for reading, now crank up the Troopiesongs, and break out the short shorts!
1576452703689.png 1576452760037.png

Excellent. Just excellent.

2 questions:

is the R1 grip aluminum? And

I wasn’t aware FN made GPs with lanyard rings. Interesting! When was it made?

Excellent. Just excellent.

2 questions:

is the R1 grip aluminum? And

I wasn’t aware FN made GPs with lanyard rings. Interesting! When was it made?
1.) No, just glare. The pistol grip, handguards (these actually have foil underneath which I've been told implies they were originally on an Inch pattern, for whatever reason) and stock (long South African stock, a bit longer LOP) are all Rhodesian and had paint on them when acquired. Mark @ ARS added his.

2.) As a lefty I was worried about the lanyard loop but it hasn't bothered me so far. If I can decipher Browning's website, the serial implies 1985 made but it looks a bit more worn that that.
It has "PV" in the middle, which I assumed meant 1985...but since this has Fabrique Nationale on the slide, I don't know how interchangeable Browning's dates are. The High Power Collector's forum implies they are the same, for what it's worth.
1576454160326.png

Interesting. I almost got a Israeli Mauser in .308 back in the day, but decided to stick with 8mm.

t
I've been pretty content with 30-06 (and 8mm, among others). I received 308 reloading dies and brass from someone who had me do some loading for his M1A in the past, and decided I didn't have any real post-war battle rifles. I debated a G3-clone, among others, but I had already kind of given heavy consideration to a FAL before I left MA, and the move made it a lot more feasible.

I know a few people have the 308 Israeli Mausers and enjoy them.

Nice , good job . I like FALs but when I liked them $500 was way to expensive !
Price was always a stumbling block for me, but I like projects. I started part gathering in April and didn't have everything until mid-August. It was the receiver being available that finally got me to speed things up. I was worried I was going to miss out on getting one since DSA is really the only ones making receivers now. Once I secured that (I had expected an autumn date, but they released them in July) I had achieved the "hard part."

As you might guess, the original Rhodesian parts were a good deal more expensive than their Imbel or other manufacturer equivalent due to low supply and high demand. As a result of heavy use in war, they can be a bit beat up as well. Character!

I've been pretty content with 30-06 (and 8mm, among others). I received 308 reloading dies and brass from someone who had me do some loading for his M1A in the past, and decided I didn't have any real post-war battle rifles. I debated a G3-clone, among others, but I had already kind of given heavy consideration to a FAL before I left MA, and the move made it a lot more feasible.

I know a few people have the 308 Israeli Mausers and enjoy them.

On milsurp .308 bolt guns, I’ve given thought to tracking down an Ishy 2A1 to combine my 7.62 NATO love with my SMLE love, but I never have gotten around to it.

On milsurp .308 bolt guns, I’ve given thought to tracking down an Ishy 2A1 to combine my 7.62 NATO love with my SMLE love, but I never have gotten around to it.
Rhodesia had Lee-Enfields as well, of course! I really enjoy my Long Branch No 4 Mk I* but an Irish used or England-made Lee-Enfield would be cool someday. An Ishapore in 308 would help for ammo availability. Do you know if their chambers are also cut generously?

Rhodesia had Lee-Enfields as well, of course! I really enjoy my Long Branch No 4 Mk I* but an Irish used or England-made Lee-Enfield would be cool someday. An Ishapore in 308 would help for ammo availability. Do you know if their chambers are also cut generously?

Chambers are loose and headspace is... “liberal” might be the right word. They were designed to accurately fire any ammo that might possibly be encountered.

I missed the boat on those; back around 2000, they didn’t even cost a hundred dollars and were available everywhere.

Chambers are loose and headspace is... “liberal” might be the right word. They were designed to accurately fire any ammo that might possibly be encountered.

I missed the boat on those; back around 2000, they didn’t even cost a hundred dollars and were available everywhere.
That's what I figured. In terms of their 303 counterparts, brass life is known to be brief. I did finally have some cases kick the bucket in the last batch of Herter's brass I loaded. 3/20 had case head separation. The batch went into the salvage recycling bag after that. The PPU brass has still be going strong with necksizing.

Very nice. Who did the BFPU paint job?

FAL looks like it operates like the Russian SVT and the German G43.

PISTONM16.gif

The FAL is verboten south of the border while the other two are "guut".

Very nice. Who did the BFPU paint job?

FAL looks like it operates like the Russian SVT and the German G43.

PISTONM16.gif

The FAL is verboten south of the border while the other two are "guut".
ARS did the paint job; the furniture, top cover and lower receiver/trigger housing all had some amount of original paint on them.

The paint style is another hallmark of Rhodesian rifles. Large black sticks tend not to blend in at all within the bush--so many Rhodesian rifles were painted:
1576504647389.png 1576504705075.png 1576504775018.png

Post a pic with all that shit over in AllahSnackbar’s battle rattle thread.

Dare ya.

I got the short shorts in on Monday. Tried them on for a quick bit and they're very comfortable but they won't work for shooting matches because there's no belt loops. I could use them in situations where everything fits on my combat vest or if I get and wear a plate carrier. They won't work for what I usually shoot, 3-gun, because the shotshell caddy has to go on a belt. But in a rifle + pistol only match, I'd be good to go.

Anyways, I've been curious about what optics were available to Rhodesian troops in the 70s and found out the following, thanks to FALFiles and a FAL Facebook group:

*Starlights, if you want to add 6lbs of Vietnam-era night vision joy to your rifle
*SUITs, which are low-light British DM sights, aka "L2A2 Sight"
*ARs with flat top uppers and Leatherwood scopes
*Commercial 3-9s and the like, similar to how our guys in Vietnam would buy scopes
*Theoretically, the ZF24 Hensold Wetzlar because Rhodesia bought HK G3s, although from what I've read, the troopies disliked the G3s and thought them inferior

The rifle @daekken has is pretty much fine the way it is (I had the pleasure of being there and sending some rounds down range when he first shot it), but it'd be good to see a Rhodesian gun with an optic. There was precisely one Rhodesian sniper, a BSAP guy who had a scoped Lee Enfield. I have to get around to reading "Blue and Old Gold", the unit history of the BSAP, which hopefully may shed some light as to what he had, like No. 4 versus No. I MkIII, what optic, anything. Per the 'Files, he was a guy who liked getting behind enemy lines until his habit caught up with him.

I might do a Rhodesian build myself with a 70s-era 3-9 on a FAL or maybe find a beat-to-shit, commercialized Enfield or 2A1 and use that. A beat up Enfield/2A1 actually might be a good idea...

Question for @daekken and @Picton

Are you guys using grease on your FAL's bolt carrier tracks? I'm debating whipping out the Yamalube and running some along the tracks, similar to a M1 operating rod track.

Im in the middle of building a FAL Para. The conversion is not exactly 100%, so its taking time to complete. But holy crap the finished product is going to be FAL on steroids!

I also have a Para FAL in progress in addition to the one I already own.

Are you guys using grease on your FAL's bolt carrier tracks? I'm debating whipping out the Yamalube and running some along the tracks, similar to a M1 operating rod track.

I’ve used nothing but CLP. The usual amount. More than an AK, less than an AR. My bolt carrier has the sand cuts, if it matters.

Mark @ ARS didn't put any on, just an oil. I added a bit more before I shot it. When I bought the Rhodie bolt and carrier, it had a bit of grease on it. I was planning to do a light coat of Mobil 1 synthetic (same grease I use on my M1s and sometimes on my AKs) since it's metal on metal sliding. The Brownell's video on lubrication interestingly only mentioned oil and implied it should be run fairly dry, which was somewhat contrary to my original expectations.

Im in the middle of building a FAL Para. The conversion is not exactly 100%, so its taking time to complete. But holy crap the finished product is going to be FAL on steroids!
I just bought a second FAL receiver this week, already prepared to start the next project. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom