• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thanks to Norm @ Cape Ann Sportmans Club

I recently bought a National Match Rock River Arms A2 in hopes of learning competition shooting. I had virtually no experience with shooting AR's and had put only 20 rounds through my RRA when I attended the CMP clinic @ Cape Ann Sportmans Club Sunday ( 1 hour 15 minute drive for me).

What a great course! Norm, the instructor, did a fantastic job of teaching the class (about 20 people) both in the class room and out on the 100 yard range. He always managed to find time to answer everyones questions without rushing us, and still kept it a safe environment.

It was a great time! The class was so good, that when we shot like it was a CMP match (100 yards with 100 yard targets and then 300/600 yard equivilent size targets), I scored just a couple shy of 400, on my first time!

One problem, I think I'm addicted now and I'm scambling to find more clinics/casual shooting opportunites (not ready to compete just yet!)

Thanks Norm!

Welcome to the forum. Not sure where you live but Braintree R&P (right off Rte 3) has CMP matches monthly, March thru November on the 3rd Saturday of each month. Check info on www.brp.org

Thanks Derek, I sure will. I'm going to head down to Braintree for thier CMP match on May 20th. I want to gain some practice.

Centermass-that hurts. And to think I was glad to be a part of your field-of-fire thingy. I thought you were watching the line of cars going in and out of our friendly, um, tooo friendly neighbor like the rest of us?

Shadowboxer,

It is required that you introduce yourself to the Range Officer at the CMP Match! [wink]

I'm on duty that morning, but will be leaving before my shift ends to head up to the NES Shoot in Westford.

I look forward to meeting you.

I sure will!

By the way, I need to sight in my AR before the match, but I need help doing it (I'm a totaly newbie). Will that be possible?

Get there a few minutes early. There are some folks there that are experts and can help you sight in. Also check the stickies here . . . one of the forums I posted a link to setting a Battlesight Zero for ARs.

I'm just a plinker and I don't get to the range until 1 hour after the CMP match begins. ROs are on duty from 10AM onward, yet CMP match is run from 9AM onward.

1. set windage on rear aperture to mechanical zero.
2. move your rear sight up five minutes (if it is ½ minute sights that means 10 clicks. If it’s ¼ that’s 20 clicks)
3. fire some shots and zero your front sight for elevation at 200yds. Remember you move the front sight in the opposite direction. (if you want the shots to come up, move the sight down)

(I’m not sure if the RRA NM front sights are windage adjustable, if they are follow step four and five to zero for windage. If they don’t just zero your windage on the rear sight.
4. fire some more shots and zero the front sight base for windage. Loosen the four set screws and move the front sight base (again in the opposite direction) to zero.

5. tighten down on the set screws once you get it zeroed. It’s not a bad thing to put a little wicking locktite on the front sight base. That will hold it down and you don’t need to worry about the screws coming loose. Make sure to keep that locktite out of the gas port (at top dead center of the rear most ring of the front sight base.

If you do it this way you will have plenty of elevation to come down and shoot a 100yd match and you won’t have to worry about running out of windage on one side or another.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom