• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thank you Jesse Cohen!

Hey everybody...some of you may remember my aggravation from months ago when my issuing town (Carlisle) was refusing to "expire" my current LTC so I could apply for a new ALP license here in my new green town and get rid of my target and hunting restriction. I just want to let you all know that out of the 7 lawyers I contacted, Attorney Jesse Cohen was the only one who was confident enough to take on the task for me. After about 3 months and many phone calls the Chief admitted he was "unaware" that this policy to not expire licenses existed within his department and that he would be speaking with the licensing officer. Upon receiving a letter confirming things from Jesse the Chief forwarded a letter onto the FRB on my behalf to expire my license.

I am calling my local PD tomorrow to schedule an appointment to apply for my new license. The Chief already put in writing to me in an e-mail that he will issue for ALP as long as he is satisfied with my background check. I am very happy about this and just wanted to let you all know that Jesse was a pleasure to deal with and I recommend him to any of you who may have a similar issue.

Yes it's expire. I'm just praying the Chief got the terminology right when he sent his letter off to the FRB...because if for some reason he stated "void" or something else of that nature I'm nervous that may make it more difficult for me to obtain a new license. Yes or no?

Either which way I called the FRB and the woman there was not helpful at all and refused to even release information regarding the status of my license (whether they had expired it yet or not). It seemed the primary reason is because there is no way I can prove over the phone I am who I say I am, and I'm not law enforcement. I found it asinine that they couldn't release that small bit of information to me though.

I will be having the licensing officer in my new town place a quick call for me to assure everything was done properly before finalizing my application. Will keep you all posted

because if for some reason he stated "void" or something else of that nature I'm nervous that may make it more difficult for me to obtain a new license. Yes or no?
Not if the new chief understands the situation.

Save ALL paperwork showing why this license was voided. Your risk is not the new issuance with a friendly chief you have already corresponded with, but an application or renewal years or even decades down the road when a licensing officer notices a "voided" permit, thinks it's a rejection, and starts down the "you haven't exactly been truthful with us" path.

Not if the new chief understands the situation.

Save ALL paperwork showing why this license was voided. Your risk is not the new issuance with a friendly chief you have already corresponded with, but an application or renewal years or even decades down the road when a licensing officer notices a "voided" permit, thinks it's a rejection, and starts down the "you haven't exactly been truthful with us" path.

No paperwork to speak of, but I do have a lot of e-mails saved showing my correspondence with my new Chief, who appears to be very pro-2A. He was aware even as far as 5-6 months back that I was working on having this license "expired," but during my new application process I will make him aware that I am unsure if it went through as a void or expiration and see if he will make a quick call to find out for me. That way at least he and I will both know what's going on. Thanks!

"Void" is currently being used for people that notify that they have moved (escaped) out of MA!

There is NO STIGMA attached to "void"!

If someone who was voided due to escaping MA was dumb enough to return to MA and re-apply for his/her LTC, there would be no impediment in this person doing so . . . <sarcasm> at least if they passed a 30-day mental evaluation to ascertain that they weren't mentally ill for returning to MA! </sarcasm>

Good to know there is no stigma attached to void! Just in case things got worded differently than I had planned. Either which way...I obviously haven't moved out of Mass, though like most of us there certainly are times where I want to! But I have to finish my engineering degree first before I do that [smile]

I am contacting my local Chief as I type this just to make sure we're in the clear. Doesn't hurt to be too safe

Awesome! I remember your story..what a nightmare...hope everything goes well!!!

Thanks buddy! Furthermore...Jesse just contacted me and informed me that my case was the topic of discussion between the MA Chief's Association and the AG's office...both whom agreed that my licensing officer was wrong. Hopefully this is a small step forward in helping to prevent others from enduring what I had to go through

Thanks buddy! Furthermore...Jesse just contacted me and informed me that my case was the topic of discussion between the MA Chief's Association and the AG's office...both whom agreed that my licensing officer was wrong. Hopefully this is a small step forward in helping to prevent others from enduring what I had to go through

That is amazing. It's like a new dawn. Thanks to you for getting Jesse involved and thanks to Jesse for his great job handling your problem.

So the desk clerk (an older woman) seemed a little weirded out that I was renewing my license early. She said "you know it doesn't expire until 2014, correct?" I had to assure her the Chief was aware of the situation and that if she checked with the FRB they would have the license marked as "ready for renewal." The Chief had checked with them for me on my behalf.

Either which way the computer used for the licensing was down today and the state was sending somebody out to fix it. I'm due to stop back in tomorrow morning (if the computer is fixed by then).

New development...and I'm EXTREMELY agitated. Went into the Westfield PD to renew my license early. The woman was extremely helpful and processed the application. After processing she offered to call the FRB for me to make sure everything was in order, so I had her make the phone call. Low and behold it turns out ALL licenses are marked for renewal because they're all marked that way unless they've been suspended, revoked, or expired early. Mine needs to be expired early for the renewal to work...so it turns out Carlisle NEVER sent the required letter even after Jesse and the Mass Chief's Association were on their case about it. I am now out another $100, and until Carlisle does their part my renewal won't mean jack! [angry]

Can't you start making this cost them by suing them for negligence of something of the sort?

Believe me I wish this was possible, but I don't think it's very feasible. Sure the licensing officer was wrong, and we shouldn't need to pay for a constitutional right; but this is the state we live in. Unless things change I don't see myself remaining a resident of Massachusetts within 4 years. Oh well...one less taxpayer for them

jcohen said:
Just talked to Chief and he said he will find out what's going on with the licensing officer and will straighten things out by Monday.

My thanks for a job well done sir!

I'm probably pushing my 12th MA LTC renewal but it's not a hassle for me. I've got a nice kid (30ish) that I shoot with at the club. He's a Reading resident. Seems that the Reading PD Chief issues only For Target and Hunting Licenses on the first time around. Renewals are for FALP.

All requirements were met in spades.

Any ideas? That guy needs a serious kick in the back side.

I'm forever grateful that Jesse has been so responsive and easy to reach in regards to this matter. I will fill you all in Monday or Tuesday once I know what's up. My new PD told me once things are taken care of with my original licensing PD and the FRB that my new license will be mailed to my home. Hopefully it will be waiting here for me without issue when I return from a week trip to Puerto Rico [smile]

Chief is supposed to make a decision Wednesday. Jesse and I are hopeful that he makes the right decision. I'm awaiting a response from Jesse to see how everything unfolded. Supposedly the Chief needed time to make sure he was being "legally correct"

Last edited:
Jesse just contacted me and says the Chief called. He faxed the letter to the FRB this morning! This was awesome news to wake up to :) Can't wait for my new license to arrive in the mail...hopefully in the next 3 weeks!

Thank you again Jesse!

Back
Top Bottom