Textbook home invasion ...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/8287436/detail.html

CRAIG, Colo. -- A 60-year-old Moffat County man was killed during a home invasion shootout in Craig -- except he was the one who was doing the breaking in with a gun.

Police were dispatched to a home in the 800 block of Washington Street at about 5:40 p.m. on Sunday on a report of a home invasion. The 911 dispatcher told officers that shots could be heard from inside the home.

Officers found Mario Vigil lying on a floor outside a bedroom. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The officers then found the homeowner, 33-year-old Josh Jackson, and his 9-year-old son hiding in a bedroom.

An investigation revealed that Jackson saw Vigil trying to break into the front door with the butt end of a rifle. Jackson grabbed a .410 shotgun and shot the intruder in the chest as he entered the home, but the shot did not stop him, police said.

Jackson and his son ran into a back bedroom and locked the door. Jackson told his son to hide under a bed and then grabbed a 30-06 rifle and started loading it. Police said the intruder then fired two rounds from a 30.30 rifle through the closed bedroom door.

Jackson yelled at him to leave and fired one round from his weapon through the bedroom door into the hallway. The intruder fired two more rounds and then began busting open the bedroom door, police said.

At that point Jackson fired another round, which apparently struck the intruder in the right hip area. The door remained closed and Jackson and his son stayed in the bedroom until officers arrived.

Police determined that earlier in the evening, Vigil was involved in a domestic violence case with Jackson's mother. Vigil had fired one round at the girlfriend and made threats to hurt her family, including killing her son and her 9-year-old grandson.

An initial investigation revealed the shooting was justifiable and was in self defense, police said.

Homeowner shot the man as he breached the house (with a .410). Then retreated to the bedroom and retrieved a rifle. He bedded down and verbally warned the BG. When bad guy shot and tried to break down the door, the homeowner fired and killed him. Then he correctly stayed put with his child until the authorities arrived. Good man.

Only thing I can say about it is, if it would have been .00 buck from a 12 gauge (instead of using a .410) it would have probably ended much quicker.

Probably didn't have buck in the .410, but good on him for doing the right thing, and protecting his boy!

Adam

TonyD said:
It was loaded with that man-stopping birdshot he's heard so much about. [wink]

[rofl] In typical liberal fashion the facts are not being properly represented. There is a huge difference in a .410 and a 12 guage. Just for the record...

derek said:
[rofl] In typical liberal fashion the facts are not being properly represented. There is a huge difference in a .410 and a 12 guage. Just for the record...

I think the difference works out to about .30 caliber, last time I checked. Which is close to the functional difference as well.

Tony, I've got a challenge for you and Derek. If birdshot is so safe, will you let him shoot you with it? You can wear my USGI Flak Vest. I'm sure we can arrange face protection for you.

Nickle said:
Tony, I've got a challenge for you and Derek. If birdshot is so safe, will you let him shoot you with it? You can wear my USGI Flak Vest. I'm sure we can arrange face protection for you.

I have to warn you I'm not very accurate with a long gun. I may miss the chest and Tony will finally be able to play in that womens basketball league he's been braggin on for the past year.

Nickle said:

You know, I get really tired at this lame challenge every time there is a discussion on the lethality of one round vs. the other.

Let's just agree that both Birdshot and Buckshot (and slugs) can be lethal at close ranges and be done with it, then.

And you might want to recognize a ribbing, for that's all it is.

derek said:
I think I would rather be hit in the chest or gut rather than the hip area.

I don't want to get hit anywhere but the hip can be a very good alternative if the chest is covered with armor, for istance. It's not an instant stopper like a CNS shot but it's damn sure an immobilizer b y destroying the hip joint structure and the iliac artery can cause a bleed-out in about a minute.

Cross-X said:
Sling your magnum down your leg before the gunfight begins, and you'll be less concerned about a hip shot. [smile]

I'm more worried about being able to run from the popo after a gun fight. [rofl]

So much for the "Just call 911" tactic being promoted by the "progressive" gun "safety" movement. The only function the police are going to serve in a case like this is to fill out a report and coordinate corpse removal with the coroner's office. The only question left to debate is - whose corpse?

Had this story played out in Massachusetts (or Chicago, Washington DC, New Jersey, Great Britain, etc.), it would most likely have been the 9-year-old boy and his father being scraped up off the floor and tagged as evidence (with the blood-stained trigger lock keys bagged separately).

Based on the words and deeds of our elected officials here in Boston, and in the Massachusetts State Legislature, I can only discern that they deem that the more favorable of the two scenarios on the table here.

Remember...gun control, it's FOR THE CHILDREN!

TonyD said:
I don't want to get hit anywhere but the hip can be a very good alternative if the chest is covered with armor, for istance. It's not an instant stopper like a CNS shot but it's damn sure an immobilizer b y destroying the hip joint structure and the iliac artery can cause a bleed-out in about a minute.

And, on a serious note, likely a better choice than a head shot. Heads tend to move more and faster than hips. And, seeing that if you hit high, you still might luck out.

Edited for atrocious spelling. Almost didn't get even that right.

Last edited:
Nickle said:
And, on a derious note, likely a better choice than a head shot. Heads tend to move more and faster than hips. And, seeing that if you hit high, you still might luck out.

Yes, that's another reason it makes a good alternative. It's a much more stationary target while individual is moving than the head.

I have one thing on my civilan record in the US.

Public Intoxication, in Albany, NY in Mar 1972 (I swore into Delayed Entry the same day as the court case). Not a bad charge, since it was dropped from Assault and Battery of a Police Officer (2 hit fight, I'm told).

Moral - City cops should be very careful when arresting Farm Boys for being Drunk. You might take a fall.

Back
Top Bottom