Texas Hog Hunting.. Experiences Anyone?

Yeah I saw that but I think the helibacon trip is pretty expensive. Actually it doesn't even have to be Texas. We can go anywhere. Just want quality and not to be nickle and dimed.

I did one years ago in Granby, Canada. It was with a bow and they are some tough animals. It took 3 arrows to finally slow it down. Had to cut its throat and will never forget that squeal. I wish I used a firearm instead.

Depends what you want to do and how you want to hunt.

I've done one or two fence hunts up north in NY and ME and don't really recommend them. Though they can be fun with a bunch of guys, and generally why I went along. However it's not what I call hunting. You will see and get larger hogs than the feral ones down south.

I think Florida or Texas are the best states and most common. I may be doing one in Florida in March and I'm looking at a number of places, trying to find one that's mostly spot and stalk, and don't really care if I get one or not. Unfortunately Florida public land season isn't til May. Which leaves me looking for some type of outfit.

In general all will be either swamp buggy or bait, or at night on fields with night vision. Maybe spot and stalk here or there, but not that commonplace. South Carolina and Georgia also have places as well, likely feeders and bait.

I saw a place in GA that is dog hunting; which means no guns allowed. Once the Hog is held by the dogs you have to dispatch it with a knife. Sounds cool.

I did one years ago in Granby, Canada. It was with a bow and they are some tough animals. It took 3 arrows to finally slow it down. Had to cut its throat and will never forget that squeal. I wish I used a firearm instead.
Ive shot 2 larger boars with the bow. They are tough. If you hit them right its pretty quick. But unless you study the anatomy its easy to make a mistake. Its different than a deer.

Plus the shield can be tough you have to shoot behind it on large boars. I used a heavy arrow and cutting head and blew right thru the boar at 60 pound pull. If they let out a quick squeal usually youve hit the spot.

Here’s one in Florida panhandle area, reasonable prices I also have gone to Alabama and northern Florida. Texas seems great but when I look it seems their costs are higher plus to get there is a bit more. Two Guys

I did a canned hunt in FL. Wasn't for me. I'd like to have good odds but a fenced in hog being chased by a dog and shooting from what was essentially a pontoon boat monster truck just wasn't hunting.

I have done a Texas hunt and there is no doubt it’s a lot of fun. There are literally dozens of places to go. It was a little but canned, you mostly hunt over feed. I went with a friend on his lease land which was the most fun. We only shot two hogs, one was pregnant, probably within days of birthing. We even cooked up a couple of the little baby pigs. The adult meat was the most gamey meat I have ever eaten.

I think this year we are going to look at South Carolina. Huge hog population and you can hunt over dogs. Everybody thinks Texas and for sure it can be a good time but check out SC.

I have done a Texas hunt and there is no doubt it’s a lot of fun. There are literally dozens of places to go. It was a little but canned, you mostly hunt over feed. I went with a friend on his lease land which was the most fun. We only shot two hogs, one was pregnant, probably within days of birthing. We even cooked up a couple of the little baby pigs. The adult meat was the most gamey meat I have ever eaten.

I think this year we are going to look at South Carolina. Huge hog population and you can hunt over dogs. Everybody thinks Texas and for sure it can be a good time but check out SC.

Yeah
Not looking for a canned hunt.
I believe in fair chase. I’m looking everywhere.
SC, GA, TN etc.
If we can drive in a day or so that would be better than dealing with airlines and shipping guns and meat.

SC is driveable.....about 13-15 hours. My daughter is down there and I think if I go again I will try Black River Plantation. Somewhat affordable and they have cabins.

Also, SC has public land hunts as well in some of the state and national forests, like Francis Marion, etc. if you really want to go on the cheap. There are certain weeks you can hunt hogs on certain WMA's and you only need the license and WMA permit.

Last edited:
I would love to hog hunt with my Garand. I've never hunted hog but I've seen some of the crazy video's where they're flying through the woods and the shooter has to pick them off with some pretty impressive shots on fast moving targets. I've made some pretty sweet shots on running deer so I'd like to see how I do with smaller targets, those crazy wild piggies. LOL

just tried calling Black River Plantation. All numbers I found are out of service. Too bad because it looked promising.

Really? ...crap. I was going to call them for my trip down in May.

I just tried emailing and messaging from the website....will update.

Last edited:
I have not but my son did when he was 13 with his grandfather. Best ribs I've ever had!

Back
Top Bottom