• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Texas Goes Permitless on Guns, and Police Face an Armed Public

It’s something I was taught a long time ago.

It kinda stuck in my head.
One of the things my Father and I used to try and impress on people taking our class was there is no do over once you pull that trigger.
If I read it right the guy was fleeing at the moment ., which in Texas is legit I believe.
I would hope I could control myself if I was in a populated area and not opened up , but not being there it's hard to say.
I'm sure the guy will question the wisdom of it the rest of his life.

Would having a license have made the outcome any less tragic?
I think part of it is that having the license shows that you have demonstrated basic proficiency with a handgun.

1. What type of class/training is required to obtain an LTC?​

An applicant may attend LTC classroom training and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor, or
An applicant may receive LTC online training (classroom only) through an Approved Online Course Provider. After, successfully passing the online classroom portion, an applicant must attend 1-2 hours of range instruction class and demonstrate handgun proficiency (shooting) with a Texas Qualified LTC Instructor.
Note: The range instruction and handgun proficiency demonstration (shooting) can be completed prior to the online classroom portion.

The robber should be charged with the murder not the shooter . It’s not like the movies.. The scumbag created the situation. He was trying to defend himself, just didn’t do as well as he hoped,it wasn’t intentional. That being said it’s an awful Situation That never would’ve occurred if it wasn’t for someone being a piece of shit

Would having a license have made the outcome any less tragic?

Sure. If the government can dissuade you from your rights, you can't protect yourself and then you rely on them more.

Situation sucks. Has nothing to do with permitted/permitless carry. I still believe the USSC is headed towards a "you people can't be trusted" Con-Carry decision.

"We rightfully attack police who can't make the shot and hose some person not involved. And ill do the same for this guy. If you can't take the shot without hitting someone else dont take it."

"Pretty sure shooting someone by accident is illegal."

"You have the right to defend yourself. You don't have the right to harm people who don't need to be harmed."

Shooter was irresponsible, he killed a 9 yr old while shooting at a fleeing suspect according to the story. If it was my kid I would have returned fire and shot him

We rightfully attack police who can't make the shot and hose some person not involved. And ill do the same for this guy. If you can't take the shot without hitting someone else dont take it.
I get where you are coming from but, he hit someone in a moving vehicle. How fast was it moving? Was it even visible to him when he fired? His backdrop could have been perfectly clear when he pulled the trigger. Then a truck doing 40-50 mph completely changed that in less than a second. We have no idea. That doesn't mean that the grand jury didn't see some vid from the ATM or traffic cam., etc... that showed them a situation similar to the one I described.

Personally, I'm with @Asaltweapon, I would likely eat one of my own if I killed a 9 yr old.

I get where you are coming from but, he hit someone in a moving vehicle. How fast was it moving? Was it even visible to him when he fired? His backdrop could have been perfectly clear when he pulled the trigger. Then a truck doing 40-50 mph completely changed that in less than a second. We have no idea. That doesn't mean that the grand jury didn't see some vid from the ATM or traffic cam., etc... that showed them a situation similar to the one I described.

All this stuff is highly circumstantial, for sure.

I'm not saying this guy should be tried for murder. Or something similar. I'm just saying having zero done is silly or at least seems silly. He's already killed an innocent while trying to defend himself and his family. Provided he's not a sociopath he's going to feel that pain. And the family of the kid he smoked would probably love to murder him and that's also not something that's easy to live with.

It's hard for me to sit back and think of ways I could just kill someone by accident (short of someone running straight into the road and me running them down before I could stop) which would result in zero punishment. They're probably out there but not common enough to pop into my mind from memory.

I'm no fan of putting people in jail for reasons. And I don't think this guy should be in jail for it. As others have stated he's probably going to have a tough time in civil court and he 100% deserves that.

Permitless carry is great. Having grown up in MA in a family that doesn't like guns, it always felt like the right to own guns was for certain special classes of people, not for people like me.

Less than a month after getting my LTC I found out my sister and her boyfriend (also from anti-gun NY/NJ family) are looking into getting their LTC's. Real sign of the times, attitudes are changing. The movement towards concealed carry is enormous.

No, The criminal. If it was not for the criminal, nothing would happen. Criminal should hang for the 9 year old.

Sorry, that is ridiculous and doesn't even make sense. So if you are the victim of a crime, then you are indemnified against any responsibility for everything you do after that crime? And the perp takes the responsibility? It so, for how long does that apply, 2 minutes or an hour or how about a day?

Hopefully you see the fallacy in what you say.

Sorry, that is ridiculous and doesn't even make sense. So if you are the victim of a crime, then you are indemnified against any responsibility for everything you do after that crime? And the perp takes the responsibility? It so, for how long does that apply, 2 minutes or an hour or how about a day?

Hopefully you see the fallacy in what you say.
OK, I missed this part...."while shooting at a fleeing suspect". If he is running away from you, do not shot.

Last edited:
The robber should be charged with the murder not the shooter . It’s not like the movies.. The scumbag created the situation. He was trying to defend himself, just didn’t do as well as he hoped,it wasn’t intentional. That being said it’s an awful Situation That never would’ve occurred if it wasn’t for someone being a piece of shit
Agree, however the criminal was fleeing away from the victim.

"An armed society is a polite society" amirite boys? How come that statement doesn't apply to Chiraq where everybody carries Glocks with machine gun switches and happy sticks?
Are you trying to compare the U.S to a country that was bombed for over a decade, where thousands, if not millions, of jobs were lost, where hundreds of thousands of people were forced fired from their jobs and there are huge levels of poverty... to the U.S?

tenor.gif
tenor (1).gif
tenor (2).gif

Agree, however the criminal was fleeing away from the victim.
It’s just a shame he missed. If he didn’t miss then be one less criminal in the world..

I know this is northeast shooters but that’s not how it’s handled in the rest of the country. You’re allowed to shoot a fleeing assailant so they don’t come back..

Just don’t miss..

"An armed society is a polite society" amirite boys? How come that statement doesn't apply to Chiraq where everybody carries Glocks with machine gun switches and happy sticks?

Are you trying to compare the U.S to a country that was bombed for over a decade, where thousands, if not millions, of jobs were lost, where hundreds of thousands of people were forced fired from their jobs and there are huge levels of poverty... to the U.S?

View attachment 679504
View attachment 679503
View attachment 679502

Sure sounds like it, except that he is using the lawless "country" of Chicago to try to make a rational point.

And fails mightily.

Qualified Immunity only protects police from civil liability, not criminal.
No, but "just following orders" sometimes does. Look at the federal courts squashing the state indictment of FBI agent Horiuchi in which the court ruled a state cannot prosecute a federal LEO who kills while acting under orders from their agency.

Sure sounds like it, except that he is using the lawless "country" of Chicago to try to make a rational point.

And fails mightily.
Read that early in the morning and saw Iraq, not Chiraq.

He fails to see that criminals will commit crimes. Take some of the countries with the strictest gun laws and peoppe still commit crimes.

Back
Top Bottom