• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TET/19 Year of the Pig

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year y’all

Any monkey stories ?

We were pretty effing busy during TET 68.....they paid a hard price for breaking that truce

Are you kidding me. That hole year was a shit show in Nam and a darn good piece of 69 too. The U.S. lost more troops in 1968 and 1969 than in all of the other years combined. Sure glad you made it home.

Are you kidding me. That hole year was a shit show in Nam and a darn good piece of 69 too. The U.S. lost more troops in 1968 and 1969 than in all of the other years combined. Sure glad you made it home.

You 'buys' the ticket, you take the ride....lol.

I'm see you made it back to the world....M-60 gunners were not popular back then....Well especially with the northerners
:emoji_flag_vn:

You 'buys' the ticket, you take the ride....lol.

I'm see you made it back to the world....M-60 gunners were not popular back then....Well especially with the northerners
:emoji_flag_vn:

You bought a ticket to ride. I got a free ride. Both ways. Both times. lol.

Last edited:
We were pretty effing busy during TET 68

I guess! We supposedly had a "crew rest" SOP that was never complied with and the whole SOP was thrown out the window during TET '68. We overflew maintenance inspections with what hueys we had. Had to borrow slicks from units to replace our hueys that got shot up or shot down.

Definitely no 'monkey business' during TET '68.

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 3.50.52 PM.png Speaking of which, I used to nab boxes of cigars out of I believe sundry packs. Don't remember ever having to pay for them. Not being a cigarette smoker, what cigs I'd come across I'd give or trade. Can't remember if the cigars came from sundry packs or elsewhere. Anybody remember?

Strangely enough, I don't remember anyone else in my company smoking cigars......lots of cigarettes but no cigars. Used to be able to do a bank shot from my left seat in a huey right into the ash tray at the bottom left corner of the instrument panel. My crewchief "Frenchy" would occasionally get pissed when I missed.......which wasn't often.

Last edited:
View attachment 268633 Speaking of which, I used to nab boxes of cigars out of I believe sundry packs. Don't remember ever having to pay for them. Not being a cigarette smoker, what cigs I'd come across I'd give or trade. Can't remember if the cigars came from sundry packs or elsewhere. Anybody remember?

Strangely enough, I don't remember anyone else in my company smoking cigars......lots of cigarettes but no cigars. Used to be able to do a bank shot from my left seat in a huey right into the ash tray at the bottom left corner of the instrument panel. My crewchief "Frenchy" would occasionally get pissed when I missed.......which wasn't often.

Damn, that's good shootin.

What's a sundry pack ? Musta misses a cubby...lol

If it's what I think it is, we use to call them SP packs. On the hilltops in Northern I Corps., there was no px, so choppers would drop in what we called SP packs. It was a pallet full of all sorts of goodies, like cartons of smokes, gum, toiletries, skivvies, etc.

If it's what I think it is, we use to call them SP packs. On the hilltops in Northern I Corps., there was no px, so choppers would drop in what we called SP packs. It was a pallet full of all sorts of goodies, like cartons of smokes, gum, toiletries, skivvies, etc.

Ah...them

The grunts would also get 2 beers or cokes at least in my AO. Think they did away with the free grog post Vietnam...lol

FIFU:

No matter how thirsty,you are, 100 plus degree flat beer sucks.

Used to have pallet after pallet of beer sitting out in the sun in Long Binh. By the time it was sent anywhere, most cans were almost unrecognizable because of sun bleaching! And what was inside barely resembled beer!

FIFU:

Used to have pallet after pallet of beer sitting out in the sun in Long Binh. By the time it was sent anywhere, most cans were almost unrecognizable because of sun bleaching! And what was inside barely resembled beer!

Yeah. A cool drink of water would have been worth real money. I guess in that place and time, wet was better than nothing. To this day, I only drink about half of the can. The cold half. Lol.

Funny how that works! Likewise liking my drinks cold although one thing Vietnam taught me was that if you were hungry enough, cold food would do in a pinch. I guess I learned that cold food wasn't so bad........no longer fussy like I used to be. But the beer.......... and not just the beer.........we used to get cokes and other soft drinks and they, too, were usually flat. Pretty much cured me of drinking sugary soft drinks......not so much the beer though....lol

Funny how that works! Likewise liking my drinks cold although one thing Vietnam taught me was that if you were hungry enough, cold food would do in a pinch. I guess I learned that cold food wasn't so bad........no longer fussy like I used to be. But the beer.......... and not just the beer.........we used to get cokes and other soft drinks and they, too, were usually flat. Pretty much cured me of drinking sugary soft drinks......not so much the beer though....lol

Yup. It surprises me to see how fussy kids get away with being today. My youngest brothers wife bends over backwards to satisfy her sons food wishes be it good for him or not..

Last edited:
Hmmmmm me thinks I've got my "y" and "ie" backwards. Oh, but he did. We were never without C-4. It was just more convenient sometimes to open a can and chow down. That is if it wasn't heating in the exhaust stack or engine compartment.

Back
Top Bottom