• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Testing reloads for service rifle

mac1911

NES Member
Am I wasteing time testing 75grain .223/5.56 reloads @ 100 yards ? should I wait until I get a chance @ longer yardage?
Up until now been loading 55grain for plink'n and 69 grains FMJBT hornady bullets.
I am planning on a few service rifle matches @ reading next year.

Also does reading have any days for sighting in ?

There are some that will say you are wasting time at 100yds. I'm not one of them. I do all my initial load testing (which really means testing the new barrel to see how it shoots my proven handloads) at 100yds. If it won't shoot under an inch, somethings wrong.

I have been developing my loads on my 16" stag with crappy cheap A2 detachable sights... I went from sofball size groups with factory fodder to 2.25" with my 55 grainers and just under 2" with the 69 grainers. Off a bench and rest.

Now that I have my RRA NM rifle I was happy to see my 69 loads

There are some that will say you are wasting time at 100yds. I'm not one of them. I do all my initial load testing (which really means testing the new barrel to see how it shoots my proven handloads) at 100yds. If it won't shoot under an inch, somethings wrong.

Sounds like your throwing darts. How do you shoot such tight groups? Bench shooting?
Thanks, Mike

My computer puked earlier and did not finish.

Now that I have my RRA NM rifle I was happy to see my 1st ten 69grain rounds off a rest where very tight 2" group. These are just reloads cranked out rather quickly. I do believe with a little more care I can produce 1" MOA ammo........now if only I can shoot that well. I was just wondering if the 75 grain Hornady match bullets I scored are worth trying out @ 100 yards.

Actually, for load testing, I mount a scope on the carry handle and put it on a bag. I try to take as much of "me" out of the equation as I can.

I just want to expand on what I said earlier.
What we are doing is really testing the barrel, not the loads. The loads are pretty much a given. 24 grains (more or less) of RE15 under a SMK 77 is a known, excellent, mag-length load. It's just a matter of whether your barrel will shoot it or not.

Last edited:
up date, I tested my my 75grain hornady loads. prone, sitting and standing. Only time recently for me to shoot is at cmp clinics. Mind you results are Great for me.
@ 100 yards
slowfire prone kept all shots with in the 8 ring, sun in my eyes didnt help
rapid prone all in the black
rapid sitting all in the score rings
standing slow fire(absolute worst thing for me. Yet to find a comfortable stance/hold but) kept all shots with in the score rings with 7 out of 10 in the black.

Back
Top Bottom