• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Test Record

CORRECTED DATA JUST ADDED:
I was hoping I could get some input on this test record I just did. It was my first Reloads. [banana] Here is the info:

Powder/Weight--Unique/4.5-4.6
Bullet-- Missouri Bullet Co 9mm Lead RN 124 GRAIN
High Velocity--1015
Low Velocity--901
Average Velocity--974
Average Deviation--23

I guess I am asking if this is good or bad. If it is not good then what can be done to improve?? Any suggestions...........

Thank you very much.........................

Last edited:
I do have a question however. How many shots were fired? 114 ES and only 23 SD? That sure doesn't sound right. I'd have guessed SD to be in the 40's. Any chance you could give us the velocities of all shots so we can calculate?

I do have a question however. How many shots were fired? 114 ES and only 23 SD? That sure doesn't sound right. I'd have guessed SD to be in the 40's. Any chance you could give us the velocities of all shots so we can calculate?

I noticed that too. He says "average deviation". I'm guessing that most of the shots were very close in velocity, with either one or two flyers or bad velocity readings.

I noticed that too. He says "average deviation". I'm guessing that most of the shots were very close in velocity, with either one or two flyers or bad velocity readings.
I actually took 25 shots with one an error read on chrono, so that left 24. However for the data above I only took the first 10 shoots. All were very close with the exception of the one that read 1015. It was the only one out of 24 that read 1000 or above. Please keep in mind that I am very new to all this but when I get home I will locate the data and post it all. I appreciate your help.

thanks........................

and yes Jim..........they shoot very well.

I come up with slightly different results, i.e. 26.98 SD and 965.58 average. I never chronographed that many rounds in a string, that's probably why the SD looked suspiciously low. Oops. Cancel that thought. I think EC's thought on that was closer to the mark- that a lot were similar with an unusual high and lows. It has been some time since I chronographed a lot. So I just went and dug up some of my 9MM results. 9 samples, 10 shots each ranged from 10 to 48 SD.

I come up with slightly different results, i.e. 26.98 SD and 965.58 average. I never chronographed that many rounds in a string, that's probably why the SD looked suspiciously low. Oops. Cancel that thought. I think EC's thought on that was closer to the mark- that a lot were similar with an unusual high and lows. It has been some time since I chronographed a lot. So I just went and dug up some of my 9MM results. 9 samples, 10 shots each ranged from 10 to 48 SD.

Thank you for taking the time to take a look. Keep in mind that all I did was use the first 10 shots to get my results. I chronographed them all because hey..............it was there.

I once read an interview with barrel maker Bo Clerke. His opinion was that SD was irrelevant and that extreme spread was the only valid statistic.

Back
Top Bottom