1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Tesla driver asleep behind the wheel on the Pike

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by fencer, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

If the car has a glitch and kills someone, is it the car's fault or yours?

2. Shire Guy

Shire Guy NES Member

Wonder how well they handle a spin-out from a patch of black ice or hydroplaning.

Coyote33 likes this.
  3. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

I'll go one step farther. I think your phone should be disabled before your car can start. Just drive your fuucking car and leave your fuucking phone alone!

4. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

If the car has a glitch and kills someone, is it the car's fault or yours?

5. Rick1987

Rick1987

Probably better than 90% of the drivers on the road. And I bet it would put the hazards on and call for a tow truck.

6. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Who knows. FWIW I'm not defending the tech at all, and that's an obvious "happy fun ball" question that will have to be answered. It could get mired in red tape and then
    these cars never get regulatory approval, even with the billions of $ behind it. And things are going to "get interesting" legally when someone gets smoked by the first
    self driving car. It'll probably be something like a drunken bum falls into the road at the last second and gets run over because the machine can't stop the car fast
    enough.

I also think that initially there are going to be technical ways to troll the shit out of these cars and various ruffian types are going to go full retard and have a
    blast causing these cars to be intentionally disabled by relatively simplistic sabotage. In order for the car to be safe the system must have integrity, all a miscreant has to do is
    cause an integrity check to fail and its game over and the thing will be on the side of the road with hazard lights on or something, in some failure mode.

-Mike

7. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

man I hope I get hit by one of these. that payout would be awesome.

8. Coyote33

Coyote33

I'm pretty sure that has already happened.

Here you go:
    Death of Elaine Herzberg - Wikipedia

9. Broomcorn

Broomcorn

FIFY

10. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

I mean I don't need it to kill me....a couple broken bones would be fine.

11. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Should be the same for ALL distracted driving: phone, putting on makeup, whatever. If there's an accident. If there's no accident, then nothing happened. If you're able to drive in a given set of conditions, without swapping paint, then you weren't distracted.

One hour ago, as I was slowing to turn into my street, a car was about to enter from my left (T intersection, I was "crossing his T" as the Navy would say). I I flashed my high beams to tell him to go. I did it again, as he might have been being prudent, and looking left. Still sat there. Then I saw he was on this smartphone. I pulled in front of him, and that's when he decided to move.

Idiot? Sure. But not a crime.

12. mibro

mibro NES Member

I'd rather have this guy behind me than some random tailgating a**h***.

13. AllaSnackbah

AllaSnackbah NES Member

"There should be higher fines"

"Your phone should be disabled before your car starts"

-freedom hating cuckolds

Super99Z, NHKevin and drgrant like this.
  14. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

In the inverted “I’m not responsible” we live in today where no one’s responsible for anything it would be the Teslas fault.

Just like:
    Pencils misspell words,
    Spoons and ice cream made me fat,
    Guns kill people... especially the black extra killy ones.

The list goes on.

Bob

15. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

16. TheGreekFreak

TheGreekFreak NES Member

Can't wait for this tech to get good enough where the typical $30K commuter car can basically drive itself. Most humans suck at driving and just get in the way. Traffic would be so much better.

Also, even as someone who likes driving and is resistant to accepting newer car tech, driving can be a major PITA chore for most at hours where they are the most drained. Many peoples' lives would be so much better not being stresses out, fists clenched on the steering wheel, during some 1 hour+ bumper to bumper commute to and from work everyday.

As long as they don't make it some mandatory feature on new cars, it honestly can't come soon enough.

fencer and mibro like this.
  17. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce NES Member

I think that I would rather have venereal disease than a self driving car or have one around me on the highway.

18. Me Have ADD

Me Have ADD

I've been reading a lot of Western history lately. Before the Transcontinental Railroad, it would take you six months to cross the continent. You'd risk bad weather, accidents, disease and vicious Indian attacks. The horror that you have to drive yourself to work five days a week.

19. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

To be fair, I also blame forks and cake. And knives and butter. And muffin pans and Blueberry Muffins. And fryolators and all their wonderful offspring. I'm easy that way. [rofl]

HorizontalHunter likes this.
  20. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

As someone noted above, self-drivers will be a boon to the oldsters that have Mr. Magoo's vision, and the reaction time of a sloth. Also, for those around said group.

21. grey

grey

Well, it's probably an improvement in driving safety:D

Ok ok, I kid I kid

22. Coyote33

Coyote33

I do like the idea of it driving home after skiing all day. Also, coming back from the Cape on a Sunday evening. It would be nice to just conk out for an hour or two while it did the drudgery of getting through traffic, then wake up refreshed as it pulls into your home town to pick up a pizza.

23. fencer

fencer NES Member

I agree with this. For the most part, I enjoy driving, but there are some days that rush hour sucks. Yesterday was one of those days. I slept for shit the night before, had a longer than usual ride in, ten hours at the office and it was all I could do to keep from nodding off driving home. Scary shit.
    It would have been awesome to be able to doze off. And I bet this happens to thousands of people every day.

I am sure they have some bugs to work out, but the tech is almost there. Imagine a rush hour commute that never comes to a full stop. Cars all moving at the same speed, with the same distance between them, safely. You have to wonder how they will deal with mechanical failures and emergencies but I am sure they will figure it out. Like what happens when a big rig blows a tire in the center lane? Or a passenger vehicle breaks down in the high speed lane?
    I think the biggest problem will still be the human factor. People driving on bald tires. People ignoring required maintenance. These will be the biggest hazard, and idiots are impossible to eliminate.
    One of the guys that works for me commutes 30 miles each way in a truck with bald tires that has not had an inspection sticker in six years. I had to move his truck one day and when I started it up, every conceivable warning message you could think of, from airbags, to ABS and change engine oil came on. It's morons like this that will throw a monkey wrench in the best tech. I almost hope he gets pulled over. And he has no excuse. He is a single guy that lives almost rent free and makes about 80k a year. He is just an ass hole.
    Maybe the future will also include iRobot tow trucks and skyhook helicopters. A disabled vehicle automatically emits a distress signal to Skynet, and the vehicle is plucked off the road quickly, eliminating the need for tow truck drivers, most of which are either creepy, drama queens or just incredibly stupid. Except of course, Zappa and NES tow truck drivers. They are all great guys.

TheGreekFreak and strangenh like this.
  24. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Aren't all these lane maintaining features worthless once there is snow or slush obscuring the lines on the road?

richc likes this.
  25. Mother Deuce

Mother Deuce NES Member

It probably has a 6 foot wide plexiglass ice scraper that deploy's from under the bumper to self plow. In case the the sleeping yoho in the drivers seat has slept through the road condition
    change.

26. Coyote33

Coyote33

27. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

Me want.

28. new guy

new guy NES Member

The human existence is already too automated, too detached, and too unaccountable. People need to learn to take control of their own lives and taking the steering wheel out of their hands is a step in the wrong direction. $0.02

29. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Programs and Centers. The humans have WAY too many Programs and Centers.

30. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

So do it yourself.

Beginners Guide to the DIY Self Driving Car

comma.ai – Introducing openpilot

Or even DO it yourself. There's at least one opensource autonomous driving library available. Cameras and GPS modules are DIRT cheap. Radar and Lidar are maybe still on the expensive side.

--

LONG ago (like 30 years or so), I occasionally would slump over while driving on the highway to look asleep, but really my eyes were open enough to see and I had my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, out of sight.