Terrorist Threat

Lynne said:
I couldn't live in New York City with poop like this going on, and not be able to carry for protection. I know, I know - it wouldn't help with a bomb, but I'd still feel a bit better than being completely defenseless.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/06/newyork.subways/index.html
Chances are that you'd survive the bomb, you'd need the gun for the mayhem afterwards.

I would love to see how much money is spent every time "someone" makes a terrorist threat. Lets see her hmmm, lets keep making threats so they have to have police logging thousands of man hours trying to protect the city and then after millions are spent and "budget commitees" come together and say, "We are spending millions and there has been no such attacks, so most likely there won't be", they start cutting back. Laying off cops or cutting budgets back, especially to places that these idiots who sit behind desks NEVER see, (I.E. cut backs so criminalists can't log in enough hours, or certain outdated machines get "repaired" instead of replaced) So eventually the police force is a joke and THEN I bet the attacks will come, when we are at our weakest.

Sorry, just ranting and venting. Some people make my job so much harder.

Cross-X said:
A question--if you lived in the NYC area, and commuted to work on the subway, would you ride the subway today?

You've never been to NYC, have you Darius?

For most folks, there is no choice. I got graphically reminded about the traffic in NYC last weekend when Kathy & I went down to Sodom-On-The-Hudson to see Spamalot.

Think gridlock, folks. Lots and lots of gridlock. Even on the subway, going from 42nd St to the Cloisters at 190th St, it took the better part of a half hour for just that leg.

The buses are a joke in rush hour, because they move so slow... and also because they may not go where you need to go! the bus routes and subway lines are different. they're also computerized; the New York City Subway Token is extinct. Instead, they use Metro cards, with a mag stripe that you can "load" at various machines located in the subway stations. And they have two hour transfers built into them, so you can go from subway to bus to get to your destination with one fare.

And taxis, although cheaper than Boston's taxis, are also subject to the whim of the traffic and gridlock.

So, if I was dumb enough to live in NYC, yes, I'd be taking the subway. I'd probably have no choice.

And Lynne, I know what you mean. Hobbling down the streets of Manhattan with only my Kershaw in my pocket, I felt just a wee bit underarmed. [cry]

+1 on Ross's comments. I've never lived in NYC (been there, though), but, I have lived in Frankfurt, Germany, and though it's not near as bad as NYC, you MUST take the Subway/Streetcar to get anywhere.

That Kershaw is probably illegal in NYC. They have very strict knife laws.

I found that out accidentally after I was there in the Fall of 2003. [wink] Someone asked about knife laws in one of the gun forums and someone else posted a pointer to an excellent website on the topic (think Packing.org for pointy things).

Nickle said:
+1 on Ross's comments. I've never lived in NYC (been there, though), but, I have lived in Frankfurt, Germany, and though it's not near as bad as NYC, you MUST take the Subway/Streetcar to get anywhere.

The Frankfurt subway/street car system was fun ! I enjoyed them. But that was 35 years ago when I was there.

LenS said:
That Kershaw is probably illegal in NYC. They have very strict knife laws.

I found that out accidentally after I was there in the Fall of 2003. [wink] Someone asked about knife laws in one of the gun forums and someone else posted a pointer to an excellent website on the topic (think Packing.org for pointy things).

Well... in a word: Too F*cking Bad for NYC. The darn thing is considerably shorter than steak knife that Outback gave me last Friday night, so if they have a problem with a 2.5" blade, F*** 'em.

Besides... I doubt I'll be back there any time soon, anyway. Thanks for the warning, but I flat out refuse to not carry it.

I went to NYC for a weekend about 20 years ago. That was enough for me. BTW - I didn't have any hand guns then, but I had my mace, and I most certainly had it with me.

Ross, I have no problem with you carrying a knife! It's the least and most that we can do to defend ourselves when visiting that cesspool called NYC! :D

I was in NYC for a Microsoft conference (I had safely avoided NYC from 1978 until 2003), so I drove down to SW CT and stayed overnight, taking the commuter rail into NYC. I carry a Kershaw as well and was wearing it (visible, clipped to pocket). Lots of police in Grand Central Station. Even hooked up with a friend who is NYPD since he was on duty in that area and volunteered to give me a lift to the hotel where the conference was held. Nobody said anything!

Knowing what I now know about their knife laws, if (heaven forbid) I have to ever return to NYC I'd probably carry it a lot less visibly.

I was at a conference in Boston earlier this year and someone comes up to me and says "you must be local" . . . I looked at him and said "what?" He points to my Kershaw on my pocket and says "well, you didn't fly here with that thing!" I laughed.

LenS said:
I was at a conference in Boston earlier this year and someone comes up to me and says "you must be local" . . . I looked at him and said "what?" He points to my Kershaw on my pocket and says "well, you didn't fly here with that thing!" I laughed.

He's never heard of checked luggage?

My Kershaw, my Super Leatherman & my Case Hobo Trapper ALWAYS accompany me. Even on travel. If I'm flying, they're the last thing in my suitcase and the first things that come out when I get to my destination.

dwarven1 said:
He's never heard of checked luggage?

My Kershaw, my Super Leatherman & my Case Hobo Trapper ALWAYS accompany me. Even on travel. If I'm flying, they're the last thing in my suitcase and the first things that come out when I get to my destination.

I'd be concerned that they would be the first thing out of my luggage by the light-fingered TSA goons! e.g. stolen

When I travel, I carry a $3 gunshow special knife. Not real good, but better to lose that than a $50 knife.

A lot of folks on short business trips do only carry-on. I know that is what I used to do for the 1-2 day business trip years ago (which was rare for me anyway).

Hobo trapper? That wouldn't happen to be a giant cage with something for bait like some cheap wine of a few bucks in it would it? My next question would be, why do you bring it with you where you go, I would assume you would keep it outside your house to make sure the hobos don't get in. That is unless you like collecting hobo's from across the country and have a hobo collection. I've found that hobo collections are hard to take care of, they die real easy if you don't remember to feed em.

Now my real question is," What the hell is a hobo trapper?"

Subway

When did they do away with the tokens? I know it has been a while since I took a subway but I didn't think it was that long...Have they raised the price from 35 cents??????

I always used the ferry when I went into the city from NJ....You can't afford a car in the city. $3000 a year for insurance and $1000 a month for a parking space. So it is either bus or subway unless you are Bloomburg and have a driver and car assigned to you. Along with the helecopter he probably has stashed away for those overnight trips...

Re: Subway

rscalzo said:
When did they do away with the tokens? I know it has been a while since I took a subway but I didn't think it was that long...Have they raised the price from 35 cents??????

No idea on when... but it costs TWO DOLLARS to ride the New York City subway now. And I thought $1.25 was high!!!

Re: Subway

dwarven1 said:
rscalzo said:

No idea on when... but it costs TWO DOLLARS to ride the New York City subway now. And I thought $1.25 was high!!!

Gee, Ross, I am surprised you would know this. I thought every time you were in NYC, you travelled by limo! [wink]

NYC Travel

I haven't travelled into the city in a while since I moved to NH two years ago. The last time I took the NY Waterways ferry over round trip for two and parking must have been $35.00 plus. That was for the car show way back in 2003. I don't miss it much....

Grifter said:
Now my real question is," What the hell is a hobo trapper?"

It's a two-bladed knife, made by Case, with a regular cutting blade and a fork blade. It can split apart so you have both a fork and a knife. The particular model I have has the square & compasses (the symbol for the Masons) on one of the scales.

They do not appear to be made by Case anymore, which is a shame.

hobotrapper1.jpg

The working tools of the Belly Mason
hobotrapper2.jpg

Ross, you stole my line! [lol]

I had a hell of a time finding a tie-clip with the fork and knife on it as a gag gift for a Microsoft friend in Redmond who joined the craft. Finally did locate something acceptable and gave it to him on my last trip out there.

LenS said:

I better get my lawyer to defend me... Hay, Darius!! [lol] [lol]

You could look here for a tiebar with the working tools of the Belly Mason or here. Both Luther and Klitzner usually stock those sort of things.

dwarven1 said:
LenS said:

I better get my lawyer to defend me... Hay, Darius!! [lol] [lol]

You could look here for a tiebar with the working tools of the Belly Mason or here. Both Luther and Klitzner usually stock those sort of things.

Ahem, the lawyer-in-residence would like to know what the heck a Belly Mason is.

Ross, if you please?

Cross-X said:
Ahem, the lawyer-in-residence would like to know what the heck a Belly Mason is.

Ross, if you please?

A Mason who can be counted on to show up at meetings whenever there is a meal served. :)

From my membership card:

The Knife & Fork Degree

I do not attend the meetings
for I've not the time to spare.
But every time they have a feast
you will surely find me there.

I cannot help with the degrees
for I do not know the work.
But I can applaud the speakers
and handle a knife and fork.

I'm so rusty in the ritual,
that it seems like Greek to me.
But practice has made me perfect
in the Knife and Fork degree.

Basically, it's us Masons poking fun at ourselves. We like to have fun with the concept of the "belly Mason" - you'll hear that phrase bandied about when we do have meals before our meetings.

Back
Top Bottom