• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Term: broke in the barrel correctly?

I think it is a term that gun manufactures use when they don't want to repair your gun under warranty.

It is a description of what you might look like after buying a Glock from some folks.

man%20in%20barrel.jpg

Well, looks like everyone had their smartypants pills today, LOL.

Manufacturers will often have a break-in process to maintain optimum accuracy from a new barrel. Generally this would be for match rifle barrels. For general purposes and pretty much any pistol you could simply clean any residuals from manufacturing, then go shoot and clean at your normal intervals.

Here's how I break in my match rifle barrels:

http://www.compasslake.com/?main_page=page&id=26

Manufacturers will often have a break-in process to maintain optimum accuracy from a new barrel. Generally this would be for match rifle barrels. For general purposes and pretty much any pistol you could simply clean any residuals from manufacturing, then go shoot and clean at your normal intervals.

Each manufacture has its own method.
Some depending on the level of hand lap they do to the bore need very little.
In a nut shell it's a simple process and most of the old timers I know would say you need a good brush and copper solvent.
1. Shot clean barrel
2 shots clean
3 shots clean
4 shots clean
5 shots clean.
Now at this point if your barrel is decent you should not see much in the ways of copper coming out on your patches.
Proceed through 6- 10 shots and call it done.

I have done my dad's method.
1 shot clean 2 shots clean 3 shots clean...see any excessive copper do a few more 3 shot groups clean

This is the method someone much older snd smarter than I told me to do. I never do it with small arms, only rifles.

Probably does nothing but use more cleaning solvent and patches (Maybe the theory was started by CLP??)

But it's kind of like having a good luck charm. I'm gonna keep doing it til it doesn't work.

In a nut shell it's a simple process and most of the old timers I know would say you need a good brush and copper solvent.
1. Shot clean barrel
2 shots clean
3 shots clean
4 shots clean
5 shots clean.
Now at this point if your barrel is decent you should not see much in the ways of copper coming out on your patches.

1 shot clean 2 shots clean 3 shots clean...see any excessive copper do a few more 3 shot groups clean

thank you kindly

- - - Updated - - -

1. Shot clean barrel
2 shots clean
3 shots clean
4 shots clean
5 shots clean.

Thank you

It is a description of what you might look like after buying a Glock from some folks.

man%20in%20barrel.jpg

You win the internet today. [rofl]

1. Shot clean barrel
2 shots clean
3 shots clean
4 shots clean
5 shots clean.

Something tells me that if you still need to do that for a "match grade" rifle in 2017, someone needs to be beaten for selling you a match grade rifle that needed it. Gosh. For several thousand dollars, I want it perfect out of the box. Although I recall a legendary thread on "another gun group" where someone went off that Les Baer shipped pistols in a cardboard box instead of a nice case. LOL

Its a way of selling cleaning supplies

Probably. LOL I'm thinking effects of cleaning solvents and significantly softer material (bbl steel vs. copper bullets and bronze brushes - COARSE bronze brushes for that matter) have little effect on the barrel. If it makes a difference, it's due to the hot gasses than anything else. I do know it takes a while of time at the range. Some guys take all day. But I suspect they are the same type that spend all day at the golf club playing a round, getting lunch and playing cards - they selected a less-than-suitable chippy for a wife.

White Oak says to shoot it, clean, then shoot it some more. The less you stick a rod down the barrel the better from [most] accounts.

I followed the instructions with my PTR 91..... 250 rounds and four hours later it shoots great. Would it have shot great without all the BS? Likely yes.

White Oak says to shoot it, clean, then shoot it some more. The less you stick a rod down the barrel the better from [most] accounts.

I called the manufacture of my match barrel.... basically they said the same thing.

I called the manufacture of my match barrel.... basically they said the same thing.

From what I have read, modern manufacturing tolerances and finishing processes have all but done away with breaking in barrels and engines. Of course there are still dissenters of opinion on the topic but I try to clean my barrel as little as possible. Even when I clean it, I take care not to scrub the crap out of it with a wire brush.

Its actually a method where you fire 2 rounds north, 1 east, 3 south, and 5 west. Then fire straight up in the air between 5 to 8 rounds. Spin twice while saying a Hail Mary. Then rub frog lube on your epidermis.

Don't forget the part about lighting up a Kool or a Newport afterwards.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom