• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TEOTWAWKI, Asteroid hit in 2029

namedpipes

NES Member
OK, how many SciFi (or I suppose SyFy now) movies start with: meteor on a near miss course with Earth, somehow they were wrong and it whacks us.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_asteroid_encounter

They say it's going to miss, but they're going to nudge it away anyhow...

(What could possibly go wrong? [laugh])

So, (assuming we make it past 2012) are you prepared for an asteroid strike?! We have 20 years to prepare, after all.

Prepare what? If that sucker hits, it is all over. I don't care where you are, what you store up, or how many guns and ammo you have, forgetaboutit.

I thought of something, if Russia goes out and "nudges" this thing, maybe the push it wrong way...............

Last edited:
It's 900 feet long. It would suck for whatever continent it hit, but I thought an asteroid had to be more than a mile (and moving PDQ) for it to be a "world-ender". The article makes no mention of the velocity of the asteroid, either.

No need to worry... we'll have universal health care to take care of us... every single last one of us...

[crying][crying][crying]

I'm sure we can shoot the asteroid off course if we gather all the badass NES'ers in a group shoot. [mg]

Great, now I'm going to be a nervous wreck for the next 29 years! Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited:
I'm putting an extra pint of bourbon in my survival stash to chug-a-lug right before impact...That's about all the preps I'll need....[cheers]

Don't forget a cigar and a beach chair. Might as well tilt back and watch it come in. [laugh]

-Mike

It's 900 feet long. It would suck for whatever continent it hit, but I thought an asteroid had to be more than a mile (and moving PDQ) for it to be a "world-ender". The article makes no mention of the velocity of the asteroid, either.

I work with people that deal with this stuff.

Depends on where it hits. If it hits the ocean it will still cause big problems (tidal waves) but probably won't be nearly as bad as if it hit land... if it hits land, start thinking really, really large thermonuclear weapon grade explosion kind of problems.

It may not seem like a lot but think of the mass and physics involved with an object that is 300 yards in size hitting the earth... not exactly a tree
falling in a forest.

Think about this for a minute... this event, was (at least, as far as people
think) a fragment of a comet or a meteor blowing up over the earth... not
even hitting the ground...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

-Mike

Coincidentally, I'm just starting LUCIFER'S HAMMER today - I think it ends poorly for the human race... [crying]

Coincidentally, I'm just starting LUCIFER'S HAMMER today - I think it ends poorly for the human race... [crying]

If you are patient, and familiar with Google Earth / Google Maps, you will find you can follow many of the paths taken, right up to the "valley".

Well, it helps to be bored, too.

Good book, btw. I did find it interesting when a deceased character made a reappearance toward the end. I re-read it a year or so ago and it is still good!

Not much say in the matter. Either it will miss and there will be nothing to worry about, or it will hit and we'll all be f*cked. So either way, I'm not going to worry about it.

+1

I do not fear death. It will come for all of us sooner or later and no one knows when.

So f the meteor/asteroid/space rock. I have made peace with My Savior and going tonight will be the same as going 45 years from now.

http://gawker.com/5026291/meteor

In Meteor (1979) it comes in like a slow rolling terd, and just cuts a rut across New York City.

If that's the case, I don't see a problem.

I wonder if we could maybe get it to hit New York City sooner? Say before Wall St. starts handing themselves big bonuses?

Last edited:
I for one welcome our new asteroidian overlords.

Besides, it will save me from having to worry about if social security will still be viable by then.

Great idea on the cigar Mike - added. May even dig up a bud and rediscover the old days before it hits... If the damned Russians manage to take this pup out of the equation, I may actually lift my ban on Wolf ammo and marry a Russian bride... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom