• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tennessee Man Accidentally Shoots, Kills Self While Driving

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
WTF ???

A man accidentally shot and killed himself while driving Wednesday afternoon down a Tennessee highway, Chattanooga TV station WTVC reported.

James Anthony McKenzie, 49, shot himself in the thigh with a .45 caliber handgun as he drove, Meigs County Detective Scott Wiggins said. A call came in for deputies to respond to a seizure, he said, but when they arrived McKenzie had apparently bled to death from the wound in his thigh.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tennessee-man-driving-accidentally-shoots-kills-self

Sad. That really sucks.
i especially like how the story mentions 45acp and the photo shows an sp101 revolver.

Sad. That really sucks.
i especially like how the story mentions 45acp and the photo shows an sp101 revolver.

Actually, it only says "45 caliber handgun", it doesn't specifically say "pistol" so technically it could have been a revolver, but not likely.

Colt%20SAA-S1.jpg

Here is a better article than the leftist talking points memo. The talking points memo and all the leftwing sites are having a blast with this guys death, I'm sure the comments there are precious.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/25706284/man-accidentally-shoots-and-kills-himself-while-driving

DECATUR, TN (WRCB) - A Meigs County man is dead after detectives say he accidentally shot himself while driving down the road.

It happened around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday on Highway 58 South of Decatur. The Meigs County Sheriff's Office says 49-year-old James "Tony" McKenzie had a valid carry permit and had a gun on him as he drove alone in his car, heading north. What happened next has rocked the rural community.

Three witnesses reported seeing a car suddenly cross both lanes, stopping abruptly in a gravel pull-off. They called 911 thinking the driver may have had a seizure, but when emergency responders arrived that wasn't the case at all and the man was dead.

"He was shot in the upper thigh area in his left leg and looks like it probably hit his femoral artery and just bled out," Meigs County Lt. Detective Scotty Wiggins said.

Detectives say evidence showed it was clearly an accidental shooting. The family of victim Tony McKenzie says he always carried that gun on him, but what nobody understands is why it unexpectedly fired while he was driving.

"Don't know how it happened," Det. Wiggins said.

What's being considered a freak accident has shaken the tight-knit community where most people knew him personally.

"His family are well known people in the community. It's not easy sometimes having to tell people what's happened," Det. Wiggins said.

"It was a shock," Meigs County resident Paul Erwin said.

Paul Erwin saw the police lights at the scene and was heart-broken to learn what happened to one of his long-time customers from when his grocery store was still open.

"I couldn't believe it after I found out it was him," Erwin said.

He says McKenzie was a social man who always stuck around the store to visit with folks.

"He was a nice, nice, nice fella," Erwin said.

Detective Wiggins hopes to never see an accident like this again.

"If you're around your gun I'd make sure it's not cocked or doesn't have one chambered in the barrel if you have it in your vehicle," Det. Wiggins said.

The Meigs County Sheriff's Office says an autopsy was not necessary and the death investigation is closed.

Maybe he didn't get the bullet in his leg but the explosive pressure near the artery probably shredded the area.

The man was in the car alone, according to WTVC, and deputies were trying to determine how the gun discharged. McKenzie held a valid permit for the firearm.

I know how it happened, he put his finger in the trigger and pulled it. When you pull the trigger, the gun goes bang.
Sorry for the guy and his family.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with COLDDAYINHELL. Pointing my g30 at my cohones gives me creeps. Not the best gun to appendix carry either. I sit all day, and it digs in my balls. I carry at 3:00 with FBI cant- much better IMHO. Although in a vehicle much harder to extract due to belt clip. As for accidental bumping... women at work could be grabby and some firmly placed their hands on the handle. No questions asked... [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom