• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tennessee Makes Proprietors of Gun-Free Zones Responsible For Injury While Disarmed

Now THAT is commonsense gun control. Its about time these morons pay dearly for their idiocy's...

Tennessee Makes Proprietors of Gun-Free Zones Responsible For Injury While Di...

Usually I'm for less laws, but this is something that places equal responsibility on people who want to take your responsibility/right away.

ETA: Less regulation, rather. This is a good one.

Last edited:
Usually I'm for less laws, but this is something that places equal responsibility on people who want to take your responsibility/right away.

They SHOULD be held accountable. The pols are creating a situation where one is defenseless.

It's great but note that it is only on "private" property. So whatever laws they have wrt GFZ on public property still remain with no legal recourse. Probably the only way they could get this passed as it doesn't change gov't restrictions (sacred turf).

It's great but note that it is only on "private" property. So whatever laws they have wrt GFZ on public property still remain with no legal recourse. Probably the only way they could get this passed as it doesn't change gov't restrictions (sacred turf).

Len, isn't that generally true of government property, that it's tough to sue for any reason, like if say, you slip on the ice?

Len, isn't that generally true of government property, that it's tough to sue for any reason, like if say, you slip on the ice?

So true. Some 50 yrs ago my late Father slipped on the ice going into/out of the USPO. They paid nothing wrt his broken arm, all medical bills were out of my Father's pocket. He did try to file a claim for the medical bills and the gov't denied it.

When I used to work at a local mall, I asked a security officer what they say to the people making a scene that say "Hey, you can't kick me out, this is public property!" The security guy told me "I get tired of telling these kids that it's 'private property with public access."

These Simon malls might be changing their tune in TN.

Nothing in that law prevents you from making the rules. It just makes you responsible for them.

which is dumb. The responsibility belongs to the person making a choice. Don't like my no guns rule then don't come in my store. If you choose to come in unarmed then it's your own fault if shit goes south. Don't like it? Boycott the stupid store.

Even though MA has non binding signage, I try to avoid shopping anywhere with no guns signs on principle....eg Jared jewelry will never see a dime from me.

which is dumb. The responsibility belongs to the person making a choice. Don't like my no guns rule then don't come in my store. If you choose to come in unarmed then it's your own fault if shit goes south. Don't like it? Boycott the stupid store.

Even though MA has non binding signage, I try to avoid shopping anywhere with no guns signs on principle....eg Jared jewelry will never see a dime from me.
I'm with you on this. We're pissed when people suggest gun manufacturers should be sued for mass shootings but we're cool with suing private business owners if their customers are injured while disarmed. Bit of hypocrisy if you ask me.

But it is not okay for employees to get fired for wanting the company owner to change his rules??
You are so good at twisting my words.

They were wrong to ask? I guess we can agree to disagree. I think it's alright for the lowest of the low in a company (even if they're interns, I don't wanna argue semantics) to ask for change in policy. I think it's perfectly fine for them to be fired for asking. Meh

As someone who now lives in TN I'm happy to see that this law passed, because unlike in MA carrying in a prohibited place is a criminal offence. The legislature here has been doing a pretty good job with gun rights. They passed constitutional carry (was vetoed), that you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol (just can't drink), and you have the right to carry in all public parks. It used to be criminal to carry anyplace that serves alcohol even if you weren't drinking, and each town/city could designate if you could carry guns in that particular park. A lot of the state parks still have their no firearms allowed signs up. I think now that Beretta has moved a big part of their production out of MD and into TN the state is really trying to become one of the better gun rights states in the country which is a great thing.

I've been living here for almost two years and my observations on guns down here hasn't changed much. It is nice to be able to buy anything you want on the open market and not have any magazine/storage/NFA restrictions but the gun culture here doesn't seem to be any better or worse than MA. More people own guns and have been shooting before, but there seems to be a lower percentage of enthusiasts among gun owners. Maybe since it is so easy to own a gun down here they take it for granted, I don't know. The ranges here are horrible. I live in the Nashville area and the best range I've shot at so far is about on par with an average sportsman's club and it is supposed to be the best one in the area. That means a 250 yard rifle range, a few covered pistol ranges, a few uncovered misc ranges, and no steel on any of them. The good thing is you only pay a $5 usage fee and don't need to be a member. I wouldn't be surprised if Hickok45 has the best range in the entire state. I knew Harvard was great, but it makes me appreciate it a lot more. One of the nice things is that people are a lot more comfortable with guns since they are more common so there isn't a stigma associated with them like there is in MA. I don't think I could ever move back to MA after living in a free state, but if you want to move out of MA I think NH/VT would be the better option if you could afford it.

Was just having a discussion about this idea a couple days ago. If you decide the disarm people then you should be responsible for their safety with regard to attack from others. If you do not then you should not be liable for the attack itself.

As someone who now lives in TN I'm happy to see that this law passed, because unlike in MA carrying in a prohibited place is a criminal offence. The legislature here has been doing a pretty good job with gun rights. They passed constitutional carry (was vetoed), that you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol (just can't drink), and you have the right to carry in all public parks. It used to be criminal to carry anyplace that serves alcohol even if you weren't drinking, and each town/city could designate if you could carry guns in that particular park. A lot of the state parks still have their no firearms allowed signs up. I think now that Beretta has moved a big part of their production out of MD and into TN the state is really trying to become one of the better gun rights states in the country which is a great thing.

I've been living here for almost two years and my observations on guns down here hasn't changed much. It is nice to be able to buy anything you want on the open market and not have any magazine/storage/NFA restrictions but the gun culture here doesn't seem to be any better or worse than MA. More people own guns and have been shooting before, but there seems to be a lower percentage of enthusiasts among gun owners. Maybe since it is so easy to own a gun down here they take it for granted, I don't know. The ranges here are horrible. I live in the Nashville area and the best range I've shot at so far is about on par with an average sportsman's club and it is supposed to be the best one in the area. That means a 250 yard rifle range, a few covered pistol ranges, a few uncovered misc ranges, and no steel on any of them. The good thing is you only pay a $5 usage fee and don't need to be a member. I wouldn't be surprised if Hickok45 has the best range in the entire state. I knew Harvard was great, but it makes me appreciate it a lot more. One of the nice things is that people are a lot more comfortable with guns since they are more common so there isn't a stigma associated with them like there is in MA. I don't think I could ever move back to MA after living in a free state, but if you want to move out of MA I think NH/VT would be the better option if you could afford it.

I'm from Tennessee and can tell you that there are a ton of gun enthusiasts down there. You've just got to get to the right areas to meet them. Gun shows and the pay membership ranges are the places to go. Gun ownership is extremely pervasive down there. The only people I know who don't have at least one gun are prohibited persons. Usually folks will own several.

It has been legal to carry in bars in Tennessee for years now. At least 6-7 years that I'm aware of. You neglected to mention that Tennessee also recently passed a law that requires CLEO's to sign off on all NFA paperwork.

The ranges definitely aren't great. The best outdoor one in the area is the Charlie Haffner memorial range down in Franklin and it is mediocre. 100, 50 and 25 yards with a pistol pit and a skeet thrower. The reason that there aren't great ranges in the area is that everyone just shoots on their own land. Make some friends and they'll invite you along.

The thing about moving to NH/VT instead is that you're still dealing with super unfriendly people and the cost of living is still insane. You're looking at thousands of dollars in property tax per year in NH for an average sized house. My folks live in a four bedroom house in Tennessee and paid about $700 in property tax last year.

I disagree. If you're open to the public your right to property does not trump someones right to life. The founders didn't put any qualifiers in when they said shall not be infringed.

I disagree. I believe in property rights. My shop, my rules or go somewhere else.

You made the choice to make it a gun free zone.

When I used to work at a local mall, I asked a security officer what they say to the people making a scene that say "Hey, you can't kick me out, this is public property!" The security guy told me "I get tired of telling these kids that it's 'private property with public access."

These Simon malls might be changing their tune in TN.

Here in MA (not sure elsewhere) the legal application is "Private property on which the public is allowed access as invitee or licensee."

It is this legal standing that allows the police to patrol for drunk driving and other such public law violations.

No, don't violate the rights of others to protect and defend their lives and the lives of their loved ones. What if that store is the only one for miles around? What if the store is the only one that carries what they need? What if all the business's in the state say you can't come in armed? They've effectively denied the RKBA to people who've done nothing wrong. As I said before the founders did not put any qualifiers after shall not be infringed.

They made the choice to come in. Nobody forced them into the gun free zone. Deal with the consequences of your own actions.

They made the choice to come in. Nobody forced them into the gun free zone. Deal with the consequences of your own actions.

this. really. not. hard. to. understand.

- - - Updated - - -

No, don't violate the rights of others to protect and defend their lives and the lives of their loved ones. What if that store is the only one for miles around? What if the store is the only one that carries what they need? What if all the business's in the state say you can't come in armed? They've effectively denied the RKBA to people who've done nothing wrong. As I said before the founders did not put any qualifiers after shall not be infringed.

how are they violating any such right? No one is forcing you to go into the establishment. YOU are CHOOSING to. So YOU should assume responsibility for YOUR choices. Instead, go to the 2A friendly shop down the road to spend your money and carry your gun.

Then the answer is not to sue the store owner for something they didn't have any control over. They didn't hire a gunman to come in and shoot up the store. Their house their rules. The RKBA shall not be infringed by the government, private businesses can do whatever they want if you ask me. Kind of like private businesses can restrict your 1st amendment rights by silencing you if you come into their store yelling about how God hates gays.

You can buy anything online, yes even groceries. If it's an extreme case like this where it's the only store in town you can either go in concealed and take your chances or buy online.

Back
Top Bottom