Temporary move to a red town...need advice

jkerm3

NES Member
Ok, just sold my house in a green town and buying a house in a different green town. The issue is I close on my current house and have to live in a red town with my in-laws for 6 weeks as the seller's close date on the new house is 6 weeks later.

I will fill out the formal change of address form and file it with two PD's and the state when I move into the new house. But, legally, what should I do with my firearms for the 6 week period that I am in limbo??

Thanks.

Keep them locked up from unauthorized users wherever you can store them.

Red towns being red towns have no bearing on legal firearms. Things might be different if the "red town" you're referring to is Boston wrt to certain long arms.

Last edited:
Either store them wherever you are, correctly locked up. Or find a friend/family member with a LTC that can take them in until you can get set up in the new place and have them hold them for you.

ETA: I would just file the change of address to the new house, the middle step is the same as staying at a motel and not a real move. which seems to be your plan after I re-read it, the red town thing threw me. Sorry.

Do nothing till you're in your new house. It's not like they are going to go to the registry of deeds to check up on when you sold/moved.
This.
Unless YOU create the ruckus/noise/draw attention to yourself/etc, usually the "Big Brother" ain't watching you as constantly as you think he is. Hell, depending on the city or town, they're so inept, so "busy" (hey, let's face it, asking a city or town employee to shuffle a few papers before they've had their third cup of morning coffee can be a challenging task, to say the least) and often so completely effed up with paperwork ("Hmm.. let's see, this folder starts with G...Hey, Boss, does it go before or after H? I forget.. ") is that half of em, as the old saying goes, "can't even piss without accidentally stepping on their own d*ck"...

I will NOT identify the Police Department in MA that I worked for, going back several years (still have good friends there) but I can tell you that they were, and still ARE, considered to be a "good" department, "efficiently run", with "a good team of officers and civilian employees who mesh extremely well and..".. blah blah...
Reality? There was, still is, absolute chaos, disorganization behind the scenes..Totally completely inept, day in day out.. brutal record keeping even more horrendous than it was (especially now that they've hired several newbies to, um, "increase our commitment affirmative action".. wink-wink), infighting, backfighting ("You slept with my wife, muthableepa??!!!"... "Ya, so what? Your wife slept with MY WIFE so eff you too!"...actually happened LOL), backstabbing, even more chaos, new "improved systems" that are as bad or WORSE than the old ones, etc etc ...

Make your quiet move, shut the f*ck up, and then shut the absolute f*ck up and go about your life quietly and peacefully and nobody will notice you've come or gone...Hell, in MA?.. you can probably even rob a few banks and get a security guard job, etc, before anyone even notices any "clerical abnormality" in your records, until you stab and kill some nice folks..(and who know maybe not even then).

"Never speak when you can nod......"

Last edited:
What do your firearms have to do with change of address? Why can't you store/keep them wherever you are, green or red town? What am I missing here?

Do you have an LTC? If so, it doesn't matter if you move from a green town to a red town at all. The LTC allows you to possess the guns; just make sure you are storing them properly. If your LTC won't expire and need renewal during the short time you are in the red town, don't worry about anything.

Just notify, in writing within 30 days by certified mail, the appropriate folks of your change of address forms each time you move and you should be all good. Those appropriate folks are the l licensing authority who issued such license, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the licensee moves and the FRB, as noted in MGL Chapter 140, Section 129B and MGL Chapter 140, Section 131(I).

I was a roaming nomad for two weeks over a decade ago when I was in between renting houses. My guns went to a friend's house during that time, and when I moved into the new place, I sent the appropriate letters out to old town, new town and FRB. Pretty simple. No need to complicate things. The only thing I can see getting you in trouble is if you get into trouble while at the outlaws'. [wink]

Not sure what the issue is unless either a.) the "red town" is Boston with its enhanced AWB (in which case I would get a friend or FFL to hold them) or b.) the license will expire in those weeks (that is a sticky wicket).

The license is "owned" by the issuing town, not the town you move to, so that would still be a green town. Unless I am mistaken, the town you move to can't impose restrictions or pull the license since they didn't issue it. Renewal would be a different story. They could, I guess, ask the originating town to do that but I don't imagine that is likely.

So, what is the concern?

I'm sorry.....did you say you were temporarily moving to a red town or did you say you were on vacation visiting your in-laws for six weeks?

As for your firearms...just put trigger locks on them. What's the big deal? But move them yourself. When i moved the movers took everything not firearms related. i did all that myself.

Last edited:
Change your addy with FRB & PD's when you move into new house. Your in-laws isn't your residence, just somewhere you are staying a few weeks.

I'd get a PO box, rather than have any mail sent to the in-laws, even temporarily.

Welp, I suppose the downside would be that your "collection" would now be classified as a "cache" or an "arsenal" [shocked]

Welp, I suppose the downside would be that your "collection" would now be classified as a "cache" or an "arsenal" [shocked]

That's a pretty low bar these days. Didn't that last guy have 21 total rounds or something. I am sure that there are many people that carry many more than that on a daily basis.

That's a pretty low bar these days. Didn't that last guy have 21 total rounds or something. I am sure that there are many people that carry many more than that on a daily basis.
I found 3 rounds in my jacket pocket this morning. Wonder how many are in the car seats?

This.
Unless YOU create the ruckus/noise/draw attention to yourself/etc, usually the "Big Brother" ain't watching you as constantly as you think he is. Hell, depending on the city or town, they're so inept, so "busy" (hey, let's face it, asking a city or town employee to shuffle a few papers before they've had their third cup of morning coffee can be a challenging task, to say the least) and often so completely effed up with paperwork ("Hmm.. let's see, this folder starts with G...Hey, Boss, does it go before or after H? I forget.. ") is that half of em, as the old saying goes, "can't even piss without accidentally stepping on their own d*ck"...

I will NOT identify the Police Department in MA that I worked for, going back several years (still have good friends there) but I can tell you that they were, and still ARE, considered to be a "good" department, "efficiently run", with "a good team of officers and civilian employees who mesh extremely well and..".. blah blah...
Reality? There was, still is, absolute chaos, disorganization behind the scenes..Totally completely inept, day in day out.. brutal record keeping even more horrendous than it was (especially now that they've hired several newbies to, um, "increase our commitment affirmative action".. wink-wink), infighting, backfighting ("You slept with my wife, muthableepa??!!!"... "Ya, so what? Your wife slept with MY WIFE so eff you too!"...actually happened LOL), backstabbing, even more chaos, new "improved systems" that are as bad or WORSE than the old ones, etc etc ...

Make your quiet move, shut the f*ck up, and then shut the absolute f*ck up and go about your life quietly and peacefully and nobody will notice you've come or gone...Hell, in MA?.. you can probably even rob a few banks and get a security guard job, etc, before anyone even notices any "clerical abnormality" in your records, until you stab and kill some nice folks..(and who know maybe not even then).

"Never speak when you can nod......"

I sent in letters notifying them that I was moving to nc in 2011. I received a renewal notice in 2015. Yes, I am still in NC.

I sent in letters notifying them that I was moving to nc in 2011. I received a renewal notice in 2015. Yes, I am still in NC.

I have heard from more than one person that EOPS is not expiring the licenses on move outs, even though, previously, they said they do this. [rofl] It doesn't seem to be consistent. Like some guys here have moved out and they go in the EFA10 system and their license still logs in, etc, a month after they made the declaration. Maybe they have admitted that their posture of axing the licenses upon surrender of residency was wrong but they don't want to admit it.

-Mike

What does the law say about this? I know there is a notification required, but I'm not sure of the timing. I suppose you could base it on your move in date.

If your license expires while you are in the red town, you might have an issue. Otherwise I would notify during both moves following the required guidelines.

The issuing town controls your license even after you move, so just don't renew while in the red town.

Ok, just sold my house in a green town and buying a house in a different green town. The issue is I close on my current house and have to live in a red town with my in-laws for 6 weeks as the seller's close date on the new house is 6 weeks later.

I will fill out the formal change of address form and file it with two PD's and the state when I move into the new house. But, legally, what should I do with my firearms for the 6 week period that I am in limbo??

Thanks.
When we had to stay with my mother for a month after moving from one place and the new place wasn't going to be ready at time of move out, I just submitted a COA with my new address and totally skipped my mother's address.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

When we had to stay with my mother for a month after moving from one place and the new place wasn't going to be ready at time of move out, I just submitted a COA with my new address and totally skipped my mother's address.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That's the way I would do it. I would consider it foolish to put in a temporary COA for such a short time under the circumstances of the OP.

Back
Top Bottom