Tell me about your problems with new Ruger revolvers

I had a Ruger Single ten .22 whose cylinder wouldn't spin after 20 rds through it. A little residue over burrs, I believe. Poor QC.

I had a LCR in 9mm that was out of time, ruger sent a new one to the shop of my choice. The sight pin issue is easily fixed, drive it out slightly and bend a bit with a ball peen hammer, drive back in and the problem is fixed.

I can't tell you about any problems with Ruger revolvers because I have not had any. I own 3 of them and shoot them alot. All have been purchased in the last 4 years.

Edit.....my single 10......I had to add blue loctite to the pin on the rear sight because it backed out a tiny bit. Never has backed out since. Guess I don't consider that much of a problem.

I see a lot of posts about Ruger issues. I'm not a big fan of most of their lineup. Kinda lame an nothing special. I do LOVE my older 10/22 and the Mark series guns. I did also consider a Precision rifle. but held one and the Bolt was so loose and sloppy I decided to look at other manufactures.

They are popular Esp. with new shooters because of the price point. But I'd rather pay up for something I feel is better.

I have a Single Six, and the transfer bar broke about 30 years ago. Never another problem with that or any other Ruger I've owned. Can't say the same on the pricier guns I've got.

I've never been a big fan of their DA revolvers, they're just too heavy and bulky for what they are.
However, I have a Speed Six with fixed sights that actually shoots perfectly to point-of-aim.
I'm actually shocked at how accurate it is with my reloads.
BTW, Hogue grips make a HUGE difference, the stock wood grips (as depicted) are way too skinny and slippery.

411547727.jpg

I have owned a Security Six and Mini-30. Both never had any issues. The Mini has only eaten Tiger 7.62's and never F's up. Too bad Ruger has gone downhill, as the bird was my first tattoo...

Well, I got some bad news. After almost 4 months, I'll get the redhawk back on Monday. I was really hoping they would have sent me a new gun (which I could sell immediately, with plausible deniability about operability) or a check. I hate to be sour, and I really hope they fixed it this time, but I am not holding my breath.

Well, I'm not getting it back. Ruger sent it to my house, which I will not be at, because I am working, and Fedex won't hold it, and told me to pound sand via web robot. I called Ruger, and they also told me to pound sand. "that's between you and them" they told me. So F**k Ruger, fedex, the horses they rode in on, and even the farmer who grew the oats the horses ate.

Well, I'm not getting it back. Ruger sent it to my house, which I will not be at, because I am working, and Fedex won't hold it, and told me to pound sand via web robot. I called Ruger, and they also told me to pound sand. "that's between you and them" they told me. So F**k Ruger, fedex, the horses they rode in on, and even the farmer who grew the oats the horses ate.
Why would fedex not leave you the note that the package is at their dist center? I've picked up many packages at the FedEx dist center when I was not home to sign for it. They leave a slip on the door that you take to the dist center to claim the package ....swing by after work they are open till 7pm. Odd that FedEx said they won't "hold it". What did FedEx actually tell you?

Last edited:
These threads seem the same for any brand now. The other day I was reading one about how S&W sucks so bad you should only buy Ruger. Also, when companies offer printed warranties it also requires them to adhere to a whole bunch of rules that may or may not benefit the customer. It's not unusual to see makers of expensive whatevers to do the same thing Ruger does. Don't offer a warranty but unofficially take care of everything.

I don't have any new Rugers, but I have had good luck with their CS on older guns. Bought a 25-year-old Mark II off NES that turned out to have a crack in the lower frame. Called Ruger up, the lady on the phone said "oh, that must be a manufacturing issue," and about a week later I got the gun back with a new frame and new FCG. No charge. While I had them on the phone I mentioned the sights on my 1982 Redhawk were dinged up and they mailed me a set of sights and some other spare parts, also no charge.

Last time I dealt with Sig on a 3-year-old P320 they said it would only be covered by a prorated warranty and I had to pay something like 30% of the repair costs. Or with Seecamp they sent me a bunch of out-of-spec parts and then stopped returning my phone calls.

Why would fedex not leave you the note that the package is at their dist center? I've picked up many packages at the FedEx dist center when I was not home to sign for it. They leave a slip on the door that you take to the dist center to claim the package ....swing by after work they are open till 7pm. Odd that FedEx said they won't "hold it". What did FedEx actually tell you?

Yeah I’m surprised you couldn’t hold it. I’ve had numerous pistols and rifles held at FedEx with no issues. And this is in MA. Surprised you had so many issues with FedEx in NH....

Ruger, the only gun maker on the planet that proudly offers no warranty at all and will suddenly decide not to support (parts and factory service) guns made fairly recently, 20 years or so.

My brother bought a new ruger 45 auto about 7 years ago. Kept falling apart after the first shot. Ruger looked at it and sent it back after doing nothing to fix it. Won't be selling him another ruger.
I have a single six that I've had for years and a recent Ruger Alaskan .454. No issues with my two rugers.

Ruger sucks. Period. No one wants to admit it, and some Ruger owners never have a problem, but every Ruger thread seems to talk about how great their customer service is because they always fix their brand new broken guns.
I would never trust a Ruger as a carry gun. Sure, as a range toy, have at it. But when I buy a firearm, I always think "if I had to grab it to defend my life, or put it in a loved one's hands during the zombie apocalypse, could I trust it?" Ruger and Taurus = garbage

The difference is at least when ruger sends the gun back, its usually fixed, lol. Taurus CS isnt quite so stellar.

I've had a ruger LCR and an LCP, neither had any problem.

Let's put it this way, IMHO they're no better or worse than smith these days, who also turns out a lot of quality control turds. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one if I had one and I had an opportunity to examine and test it. Not any different than I'd treat pretty much anything else.

The days of the vaunted "generally flawless, but still mass produced commodity gun" are pretty much gone. (this is a result of the new post sandy hook gun owners dropping the collective median gun owner IQ by like 10 or 20 points) but I digress...

Now, I think some of rugers designs (and design decisions) are completely f***ing stupid (eg, like all the junk on the SR pistols, and their overweight nature) but thats wholly independent of their QC (or lack thereof).

-Mike

This is why I work gun repairs through FFLs if I can have them do it. Sig will not do this with the P320 recall and I am
pissed.... (because I want to avoid exactly the same problem... )

-Mike

There is not much in terms of large firearm manufacturers that gets me excited at this point. Things have been over produced from the previous 8 years that most large companies that knew how to produce a quality product have long forgotten.

Ruger doesn't make a product I want to own
S&W idea of a new product is the M&P 380
Remington is dead
Colt was dead 20 years ago
Sig had me interested with the 365, but I wonder if they have actually produced something ready to be used or just a marketing tool.

I keep my cash for a few select ideas instead of having safes full of poorly made garbage

There is not much in terms of large firearm manufacturers that gets me excited at this point. Things have been over produced from the previous 8 years that most large companies that knew how to produce a quality product have long forgotten.

Ruger doesn't make a product I want to own
S&W idea of a new product is the M&P 380
Remington is dead
Colt was dead 20 years ago
Sig had me interested with the 365, but I wonder if they have actually produced something ready to be used or just a marketing tool.

I keep my cash for a few select ideas instead of having safes full of poorly made garbage

Remington is the McDonalds of the gun manufacturer's, I think total junk most of the time. The only thing I've bought from them recently is a 1911 which was OK, when I put a new spring in it. Friends that have bought Remington have been burnt. I bought a Remlin Cowboy 1895 because it was on special at KTP, and it was satisfactory...not perfect or as good as older models made in New Haven. But better than the 2012 stuff for sure. I would not buy a new Marlin online without looking at it....too many turds in the punchbowl.

Smith, Sig, and Ruger are the Ford, Chevy, Dodge of the gun producers and try the newest things to get products sold, usually lacking in design or quality to do it. Although, I've had very little issue with Ruger or Smith 1911's, recently bought in the last few years. And no issues with Ruger or Smith plastic semi auto's either. Friends have Sigs and have had no issues. I can't comment on revolvers, have old ones. I do think a lot of issues are overblown on the internet with these makers....most of their products are good from what I've experienced.

There are makers that make a quality product though, usually you have to pay a bit more for it.

Browning, Dan Wesson, Winchester, Beretta, Glock, etc...are a step up in quality, and I think produce products just as good as the old days.

Then there's some Turkish made products like the Canik's, etc...finish quality isn't the best...but the guns run like mad, and cost half of what others do. I like what Ruger does to try and breach into this market, with their ugly but American made products.
I'm willing to try and support it.....when I need a truck gun or tackle box gun that doesn't need to be pretty or fancy, it just needs to work.

Last edited:
I bought a new SP101 in .22 a couple of years ago. Fit and finish are excellent. DA trigger pull is impossible, but that's the nature of the beast. I enjoy shooting it SA. Fiber optic front sight really nice. I do wonder if I should have spent more and bought an S&W 617, but all-in-all I'm satisfied with it. On the other hand, an LCRx in .38 I bought about the same time was problematic, shaking its own parts loose, and I ended up selling it at a loss. My takeaway was to stick to the heavier steel wheel guns from Ruger and avoid the lightweight models. YMMV.

I bought a new SP101 in .22 a couple of years ago. Fit and finish are excellent. DA trigger pull is impossible, but that's the nature of the beast. I enjoy shooting it SA. Fiber optic front sight really nice. I do wonder if I should have spent more and bought an S&W 617, but all-in-all I'm satisfied with it. On the other hand, an LCRx in .38 I bought about the same time was problematic, shaking its own parts loose, and I ended up selling it at a loss. My takeaway was to stick to the heavier steel wheel guns from Ruger and avoid the lightweight models. YMMV.

What parts were “shooting themselves loose” on the LCR?

The crane screw can loosen up but other than that Im not familiar w such issue.

That screw had to be tightened every couple of range trips or it would fall out. And the pin holding in the rear sight worked itself loose, causing it and the rear sight to fall on the floor.

My SP101, manufactured in 2014, binds up in the same spot when firing. I can't replicate the problem while dry firing; it only happens with rounds in the cylinder. Going back to Ruger for repair.

I know this is a revolver thread but I've also had issues with the SR9C. It fed most ball ammo reasonably well but choked on popular brands of JHP.

That said, I also own a P89 and P90, and both pistols have been trouble free and rock solid reliable; will feed any ammo I throw at them.

Quality control is at an all time low. Why ? Because it's all about speed and money. Companies have to cut corner in order to save money. You can't expect to buy any stock gun and compare it to guns that were made just 20 years ago. My first revolver was a S&W model 10, I bought it back in 1977 and that trigger was better than any S&W trigger available today, even from the performance center. My friend and I have spent lots of time in gun shops and we have seen some real crap. Sharp edges on latches, poorly polished feed ramps. gritty triggers and blemishes and scratches of finishes. And I couldn't believe what the inside of an SR9 looked like. It looked like molded clay covered by silver paint. The truth is good quality control costs money. Now I can't speak for anyone else but I would rather pay more money and get a better product.

You can't expect to buy any stock gun and compare it to guns that were made just 20 years ago.

I think it's company dependent. Take Winchester for example.....20 years ago or maybe more, like late 80's,early 90's I wouldn't have bought a Winchester rifle ever, they were bordering on shit Remington quality. Now, they have been taken over by Browning, and they turn out some real nice stuff...unfortunately made in Portugal, but it's good quality. Super Grade Model 70 for example. Pretty nice rifle....sure...its around 1K...but quality, fit, wood grade, and finish is there. I've really yet to see a bad one or one poorly made. Same thing with the Featherweight rifle....800 bucks, but it's quality piece. Truth is, most people aren't willing to spend that kind of money. I'm glad companies like that are still out there though....because that's what I want to buy, and I don't expect that for 300 dollars.

Most guys want a 300 dollar or less plastic stocked piece of crap...and that's what they get. Along with that the QC on those pieces is what it's worth. So isn't the parts, they are going to be made as cheaply as possible, with as much cost cutting as possible. Dump the parts out of the CNC, put together and box it up. If they don't fit, throw the parts out til it does.......The quality of the gun is being sacrificed to fit a price point. Don't bxtch later about it though.

That is why older guns are still better than some of these newer price point guns they are turning out. Can't make them like they used to. Hand fitting anything costs money. Triggers, poor polishing, and bad finishing...are basically steps to save hand work, that people being hired are probably not as trained and skilled as they should be, and employees don't stay as long as they used to either. I will say CNC has revolutionized what can be made again...but wherever there is hand tuning or fitting...cost goes up exponentially.

Last edited:

There are makers that make a quality product though, usually you have to pay a bit more for it.

I can 100% say I am firmly in this category. I have zero interest in just another poorly made, poorly designed gun to throw in the safe. From what I've seen, many gun buyer buy the new and shiny, shoot it once, and throw it in the safe to only one day be traded at a loss for the next new and shiny.

Even some of the more expensive firearms will still cost less than the ammo put through them if they are used as intended

I sent my SP101 to Ruger last week, just got it back today. The note in the box said they adjusted the cylinder gap and headspace. I took it to the range and put a couple of boxes through it--problem is resolved! No jams and ran like a top!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom