• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR FAVORITE subcompact AND WHY.

i had thought about buying a g26 for the winter but after carrying a pps m2 i don't think i will go back to my g19 in the winter so i don't think i would carry a g26 either since its about the same width and less comfortable to me...it would probably just sit there in the safe...i also sometimes carry my sr22 once in a while depending on the clothing...light, small, easy to shoot fast and accurately, still be able to hear after shooting, just enough to screw up someone's day if came to it...cause something is better than nothing

Aren't the PPS M2 and SR22 pretty much very similar dimensions though? Just sayin'

Aren't the PPS M2 and SR22 pretty much very similar dimensions though? Just sayin'

yup...maybe a little thinner...i should take a picture of how close in size they are...but 11 vs 7 and lighter...sometimes when i hike in the woods with my dogs i take it in case of any rabid critters...since it's not as loud it might sound like a firecracker instead of a firearm from a distance

Last edited:
Two thoughts pull me away from the striker fired and into the hammer fired.
(1) If there isnt one in the chamber I may be too busy fighting off an attacker to chamber a round.
(2) In a frantic situation where all of the sudden people are running around screaming and I see someone drawing down on me or someone else I dont want to accidentally pull the trigger when drawing or holstering and shoot myself.

If this is really a concern at all you shouldn't be carrying any handgun, regardless of action type. That's why most people train to index their finger on the frame until they're ready to fire. Also, when is there ever a rush to holster a firearm? Never, really. Not to mention carrying an empty chamber is bad regardless of who makes the thing, although you seem to acknowledge that.

You're better off saying ""I just shoot better and am more comfortable with this gun" than making up poor excuses to legitimize the choice. There's a bunch of reasons why I can think of that someone might want to carry one of those guns (eg, like ergonomics, natural point of aim, or a long history of using DA/SA firearms and being proficient, and more comfortable with them- etc.) but "I'm too worried about shooting myself" is kinda mind numbing. If I felt that way about most serviceable handguns I probably wouldn't carry.

I'm intimately familiar with these brain diseases because I was partially infected with them at one time. I carried mostly hammer fired, nearly-all-metal handguns (P239, P226 were frequent carry choices) for the first couple years I carried. I didn't believe in handguns like Glocks, etc, or anything else that had a preloaded striker. Eventually I figured out that I was mentally retarded and added a Glock to the repetoire. The rest is history.

Their P250 is a nice gun, clean, not to busy, no rails. But its striker fired.

The P250 is not striker fired. It's a hammer fired, long-DAO, piece of dog meat that hopefully will get discontinued soon. [laugh]

It also has a rail on it.

-Mike

Last edited:
If this is really a concern at all you shouldn't be carrying any handgun, regardless of action type. That's why most people train to index their finger on the frame until they're ready to fire. Also, when is there ever a rush to holster a firearm? Never, really. Not to mention carrying an empty chamber is bad regardless of who makes the thing, although you seem to acknowledge that.

You're better off saying ""I just shoot better and am more comfortable with this gun" than making up poor excuses to legitimize the choice. There's a bunch of reasons why I can think of that someone might want to carry one of those guns (eg, like ergonomics, natural point of aim, or a long history of using DA/SA firearms and being proficient, and more comfortable with them- etc.) but "I'm too worried about shooting myself" is kinda mind numbing. If I felt that way about most serviceable handguns I probably wouldn't carry.

I'm intimately familiar with these brain diseases because I was partially infected with them at one time. I carried mostly hammer fired, nearly-all-metal handguns (P239, P226 were frequent carry choices) for the first couple years I carried. I didn't believe in handguns like Glocks, etc, or anything else that had a preloaded striker. Eventually I figured out that I was mentally retarded and added a Glock to the repetoire. The rest is history.

The P250 is not striker fired. It's a hammer fired, long-DAO, piece of dog meat that hopefully will get discontinued soon. [laugh]

-Mike

Your wish might have been granted:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...the-lone-modular-pistol-p250-is-discontinued/add

I have a p250 .45c. Long smooth trigger, simple gun, no buttons or gadgets. I paid 400 new with night sites, 2 mags, holster which is a bargain for a shortbus g19!

Last edited:
I have a glock 19 and I like the glock 19 but its striker fired and I grow weary of carrying a striker fired handgun with one in the chamber, especially a glock.
The reason I bought the Sphinx SDP was because its about the same size as a glock 19 but is hammer fired.
Two thoughts pull me away from the striker fired and into the hammer fired.
(1) If there isnt one in the chamber I may be too busy fighting off an attacker to chamber a round.
(2) In a frantic situation where all of the sudden people are running around screaming and I see someone drawing down on me or someone else I dont want to accidentally pull the trigger when drawing or holstering and shoot myself.

So thats why I'm moving into hammer action. That first pull is long and hard, 10 pds on the sphinx. The chance of accidentally pulling the trigger on the way out or in is far less. As long as the decocker is set that is. But once out that 10 pounds will feel like about 2 pounds, I'm thinking.
I am also looking at SUB COMPACT because sometimes, especially in the summer, even the compact is a little large.
So I looked at Sigs although I'm not a Sig guy. They're way too busy for me. Too much stuff and rails and cuts and serrations and funky shapes etc for me. Their P250 is a nice gun, clean, not to busy, no rails. But its striker fired.

Just get a shield with safety

I love SIGs because I love SIGs. They definitely point nicely for me. I do think the DA Hammer is safer than a striker but I am not afraid of a striker. I have carried both. Just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. I also like the fact I can cock the trigger and avoid the long DA pull if I want to. In a draw and fire situation there would probably be no time, for example an attempted mugging. However if you are home and something goes bump in the night, and your nightstand gun is a P220, you could cock the trigger while you make your way downstairs to check things out.

I love SIGs because I love SIGs. They definitely point nicely for me. I do think the DA Hammer is safer than a striker but I am not afraid of a striker. I have carried both. Just keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. I also like the fact I can cock the trigger and avoid the long DA pull if I want to. In a draw and fire situation there would probably be no time, for example an attempted mugging. However if you are home and something goes bump in the night, and your nightstand gun is a P220, you could cock the trigger while you make your way downstairs to check things out.

A hammer DA is safer to draw. Everyone says, "Yea, just put your finger on the side of the gun when drawing." Or, train to put your finger on the side of the gun when drawing."
First off, I dont have much time to train myself for drawing. Second, even if I did I don't have much time to stay proficient at it.
Third, if someone has me by the throat and is getting ready to stick an 8" knife in me iI doubt that I will be thinking about putting my finger along side the gun.

Truth is I think a lot of people think that when it comes time to use a gun everything is going to go so smooth and happen in slow motion. That there just going to have time to think about all that proper technique and stuff.

I doubt it will happen in any way or time they think it will happen. And if it does I dont want to be thinking about anything except getting my gun out any how and any way and pulling the trigger.

A hammer DA is safer to draw. Everyone says, "Yea, just put your finger on the side of the gun when drawing." Or, train to put your finger on the side of the gun when drawing."
First off, I dont have much time to train myself for drawing. Second, even if I did I don't have much time to stay proficient at it.
Third, if someone has me by the throat and is getting ready to stick an 8" knife in me iI doubt that I will be thinking about putting my finger along side the gun.

Truth is I think a lot of people think that when it comes time to use a gun everything is going to go so smooth and happen in slow motion. That there just going to have time to think about all that proper technique and stuff.

I doubt it will happen in any way or time they think it will happen. And if it does I dont want to be thinking about anything except getting my gun out any how and any way and pulling the trigger.

Can't disagree with any of that.

the key is practice.. while i may not shoot a lot.. i unload , make clear , check chamber empty ,. and then work with an empty magazine practicing dry firing, and from holster presentation

Last edited:

-Mike

The P250 is hammer fired? Okay! Where's the hammer then?
251793_10150263188282603_57629597602_8853083_6406698_n-tfb.jpg

What the? I guess it does have a hammer, but after a closer look its nothing that I would want.
Called my gun shop today about a Sphinx SDP SUB COMPACT and he said all his suppliers are out of stock right now.
That tells me they cant keep up with the demand.
I'll have to try again next week.

Can't disagree with any of that.

i agree as well...actually it probably won't ever happen at all but it's better to be prepared...but all this comes down to is what an individual is most comfortable with...everyone has their reasons and whatever you carry is better than nothing...i don't like safeties and i like all the trigger pull weights to be consistent, i like things simple so i'm on the striker fired boat...the percentage is so low of me ever having to use it in self defense but that doesn't mean i don't want to be prepared...what prepared means is different for everyone as well, some train a lot and carry all the time, some don't train and carry once in a while, etc...but if i was really concerned about safety i would get up at the ass crack of dawn and head to work before anyone else is on the road because of the likelihood of being involved in an accident is a lot higher than me being involved in a situation where i have to use my pistol

What the? I guess it does have a hammer, but after a closer look its nothing that I would want.
Called my gun shop today about a Sphinx SDP SUB COMPACT and he said all his suppliers are out of stock right now.
That tells me they cant keep up with the demand.
I'll have to try again next week.

Yea, not that I carry a lot of have incredibly strong opinions on it, but I've never really gotten the DAO thing. Something about it just seems clunky to me.

Probably not really a lot of substance to my opinion, haha, but I would rather do DA/SA or cocked and locked.

Yea, not that I carry a lot of have incredibly strong opinions on it, but I've never really gotten the DAO thing. Something about it just seems clunky to me.

Probably not really a lot of substance to my opinion, haha, but I would rather do DA/SA or cocked and locked.

Right! Like I said. I've been carrying a striker fired handgun since 1985 but usually without a missile in the silo. Carried a M&P shield with a safety for about a year but knew I'd forget the safety in a frantic situation.
Been a avid bird hunter since I was a kid and missed many a pheasant and grouse because I forgot to take off the safety. Started hunting with the safety off and bag my limit every season. (with the help of my two spaniels)

So! The happy medium between shooting myself with a striker fired gun and getting shot because I forgot or didn't have time to take off the safety is a double action hammer with a decocker.
And as an added bonus a metal frame with a full slide rail. If you have never shot one I recommend you try it out.

For those that do carry a da/sa, have you ever racked the slide and forgotten to decock before holstering? Does this possibility make you more/less nervous (ND perspective) than carrying a striker fired?

Last edited:
You don't have even five minutes per week to practice some draws with an empty gun? Really? How about actually shooting, do you have time for that or are you just hoping to magically be able to hit your target under stress? Just something to think about...

You shouldn't be thinking about it at all - the idea is to build the muscle memory to just always do it.

And yet you don't practice drawing the gun or shooting? It's not because you think "everything is going to go so smooth"? Is that why you don't practice?

Some Idpa or uspa or steel matches might help with that

If he doesn't even have the time to practice drawing/ firing for accuracy and speed under pressure, he probably doesn't have the time to get into matches.

And honestly, I don't wanna be standing near a guy trying to draw his loaded gun quickly when he can't even be bothered to learn to do it safely.

Back
Top Bottom