Tell me about the Tavor

I've been considering what I was going to get for as close to "all purpose" rifle as I can get. I hear a lot of great things about IWI's Tavor and think it could fit many roles, the best of which being a HD rifle due to its relatively small size. I have heard the trigger sucks but have seen many a video on fixing that.

Any impressions? is it as good as they say? How are the iron sites? Would this fit a role as a competition gun?

I've been considering what I was going to get for as close to "all purpose" rifle as I can get. I hear a lot of great things about IWI's Tavor and think it could fit many roles, the best of which being a HD rifle due to its relatively small size. I have heard the trigger sucks but have seen many a video on fixing that.

Any impressions? is it as good as they say? How are the iron sites? Would this fit a role as a competition gun?

It's a rifle, with enough training, you can make it do what ever you need it to do.

I shot my buddy's, it was pretty cool, but my wing span is longer then I am tall so the whole bull pup thing doesn't really work to well for me.

excellent rifle. i am very pleased.
would run an optic. the stock irons are essentially backup...wouldnt use as primary. prices on tavor are coming down which is good. the tavor trigger is perfectly fine for 100 yard targets. beyond 100 yards maybe not so much by why use a tavor for 300 yards thats not my purpose.

personally for HD I still prefer a 12g but thats a different matter.

honestly there are so many awesome .223 semi auto rifle options...the tavor is a good choice if u want a bullpup.

the beretta ARX looks cool too with its modularity but mag compatibility looks like possible issue.

I think that's what Im after. I dig the bullpup and have dug it since I saw an AUG in some action movie a long time ago. Then I shot the AUG and thought it sucked, jam o matic. I dig the Tavor's looks and that its service life in the IDF has earned it high marks....

excellent rifle. i am very pleased.
would run an optic. the stock irons are essentially backup...wouldnt use as primary. prices on tavor are coming down which is good. the tavor trigger is perfectly fine for 100 yard targets. beyond 100 yards maybe not so much by why use a tavor for 300 yards thats not my purpose.

personally for HD I still prefer a 12g but thats a different matter.

honestly there are so many awesome .223 semi auto rifle options...the tavor is a good choice if u want a bullpup.

the beretta ARX looks cool too with its modularity but mag compatibility looks like possible issue.

I think that's what Im after. I dig the bullpup and have dug it since I saw an AUG in some action movie a long time ago. Then I shot the AUG and thought it sucked, jam o matic. I dig the Tavor's looks and that its service life in the IDF has earned it high marks....

The AUG certainly doesn't have a reputation for being unreliable. Are you sure it was an AUG and not an MSR?

The ARX is probably a no-go in MA due to the way it field strips (the folding stock is integral to field stripping).

Finally, do a search. There's a bunch of Tavor threads already.

I shot one. Hated it. Trigger was complete crap, and the sight axis is nearly 4" over the bore axis, which makes the holdovers a lot different than the AR platform (if you're used to that). It didn't feel very comfortable to me overall, maybe my arms are too long (I draw 30" on my bow, so this might be the case)

You could check the 25 other Tavor threads and find out.
[laugh]

The TAR-21 design was created by Zalmen Shebs, with the express purpose of creating a weapon more suited to urban combat than the M16/M4 carbine. It is based on advanced ergonomics and composite materials in order to produce a more comfortable and reliable rifle. The TAR-21 is waterproof and lightweight. The weapon has a built in laser and MARS red dot sight, but the TAR-21 can also be mounted with an array of different sights such as a holographic weapon sights, night vision systems and other electronic devices.

The rifle uses a long-stroke piston system to redirect high pressure gases from rounds being fired to eject spent shells and reload new ones.[SUP][3][/SUP] The TAR-21 has ejection ports on both sides of the rifle so it can easily be reconfigured for right or left-handed shooters. However, this process requires partial disassembly, so it cannot be quickly reconfigured while the rifle is in use.[SUP][4][/SUP] The barrel features 6 grooves in a 178 mm (1 in 7 inch) or 32 calibers right hand twist rate. The IDF uses both 55-grain M193 and 62-grain M855 5.56×45mm rounds. M193 rounds will be used by regular infantrymen for better terminal effects at shorter distances, while the heavier M855 will be used by sharpshooters. The barrel has a flash suppressor similar to the one on the M16A2.[SUP][3]
[/SUP]

The TAR-21 accepts standard STANAG magazines. It can also be mounted with the M203 grenade launcher. Its ambidextrous fire mode selector above the pistol grip has a semi-automatic mode and a fully automatic mode.[SUP][5] (not for civilians)[/SUP]

I played with a Tavor, never got to fire it though. I was looking into a Tavor vs AUG/MSAR and ended up stepping towards the MSAR E4 for the way it field strips and I liked it's shape better.

Shot a few hundred rounds through it with an acog and am pretty pleased with it so far. It's awkward for me to hold since I got used to shooting an AR15 but I'm sure all bullpups would feel like that. The triggers are definitely weird but you can get used to that after a few mags.

Mine came in the other day do the first thing you can't help but notice is how really small it is! The shop mine is being purchased from has a few factory SBR's and a pistol AR ( with the sig brace ) and it was the same size or small than all of them.

It will be a few more weeks before I can take it home but I decided on 16" Tavor FDE, primary arms fcs556 brake and a eotech xps2 for an optic.

or you can by 7 hipoint carbines and have one for every day of the week... still spits out rounds every time you pull the trigger but its a lot cheaper to feed... (only negative is the small mags)

or you can by 7 hipoint carbines and have one for every day of the week... still spits out rounds every time you pull the trigger but its a lot cheaper to feed... (only negative is the small mags)

Only problem is if you order them through the one distributor on the planet that doesnt have them in stock for over a year.

I have nothing against the hi point, but its really not at all in the same conversation with the Tavor ( or any of the other bullpups for that matter ) The 9mm conversion will be added to my tavor setup by the end of the year as well, as Im heavily vested in 9mm.

But, it certainly isnt a cheap setup

I own one. Trigger's not too terrible - heavy yes, but not a lot of take up and breaks cleanly. One thing to note is if you're mounting optics, the rail is super high but it's on level with the cheek weld so if you're running optics, it'll have to be a high mount to have a good view. The co-witness is weird - you'll get absolute cowitness if you're running an equivalent of an AR15 lower third setup. I traded in my Aimpoint Pro for an Eotech 516 just for that reason.

I've owned one.

Its a nice rifle. If you are left handed, it is not ambidextrous like they say. It is switchable. The gun is completely unusable on the "off" side.
Mine ran 100%
The trigger is not great, but there are now solutions for that.

I got rid of mine because I have been shooting ARs for decades. I have a lot of muscle memory. I can change mags, drop the bolt, etc, without even thinking about it. The Tavor was completely foreign. I decided I didn't want to relearn another rifle.

One other thing. You might want to consider the 18" gun. Its only 1 1/2" longer and steps up the ballistics just a bit. The 18" gun does come with the worlds most stupid bayonet lug, but the smith who affixes your brake can remove that very easily.

Don

Yeah and you end up with 7 hipoints. Having 7 of them doesn't make them any less crappy.

Back
Top Bottom