• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tell me about southern NH

kalash

NES Member
Starting to consider making the move over the border. Can someone provide a general rundown on the towns in the Brookline-Goffstown-Raymond-Salem square? I'm not familiar with that area so any moonbat towns to avoid? Any high-crime dumps? What are the good ranges in the area? Any general comparissons to MA towns? It's easy enough to look up crime and tax rates but I'm looking for an on-the-ground perspective. The rough idea would be to move up there in about a year and rent something small for a while. Chances are I'd be commuting to Boston for at least some time; at the very least I'd like to have the option of doing so.

Raymond is a cool spot, that is where I started looking. They have a great bar/restaurant in town, Tuckaway Tavern, and I have heard rumors they are putting a tap house in around the corner near the bowling alley. I have a buddy that moved to Raymond, so I hang out down there often. I kind of get the feeling that Raymond will be built up in the not so distant future, though, and that is why I settled else where. Southern portions of Deerfield and Nottingham are pretty awesome, I also looked at houses there, and it is not any further from 101 then the outer laying areas of Raymond. I wouldn't worry about moonbats in this area, it is pretty country.

I decided to look further north and started to look at Northwood and Strafford as my go to towns, because I wanted as little suburban sprawl as possible and these two towns share a pretty good high school. I ultimately settled in Strafford, however, I work in Portsmouth and wouldn't dream of commuting to MA from my house, if that is something you need.

I can't speak to the other towns you listed, I commute the other direction.

Last edited:
only moonbats i've spotted are peterborough and keene. but that's just my neck of the woods.

Yep spot on. I'm in Cheshire County and those are the only iffy towns. And at that I don't worry about printing or anything there. Have seen a few people open carrying in downtown Keene on busy Saturdays and no one cared. Only trouble with Rindge is all the spillover from MA. That's the biggest problem with any boarder town in NH. Too much MA spillover. On a Saturday I see more MA plates at the Rindge Walmart than NH plates (probably 2 to 1, MA to NH).

Used Google map go get a rough idea of the commute to Boston: looks like the closest towns are Atkinson, Derry, Hampstead, Pelham, Plastow, Salem, and Windham. Interestingly enough only one of those is in Hillsborough.

I live in Goffstown, close to Manchester side. Takes me 40 minutes to get to Chelmsford, MA without traffic (my travel times are good).

I would suggest you check out closer to Salem for your commute to Boston.

I like where I live but would not want to commute to Boston from there.

It all depends on what you are looking for. The towns around the western and north eastern edge of the area you outlined are nice rural towns, I'd say the towns on the western edge (Hollis, Brookline, Amherst, Bedford) have the better school systems but as long as you stay outside Manchester and Nashua there are no bad schools but I'm not as certain about that.

If you are commuting into the Boston area towns along I93 would be better, although the construction along I93 for the next few years will play havoc with that. Towns along Rt 3 get you to Burlington easier. It's possible to get to Westford and that area of I495 entirely using back roads from Brookline and nearby towns.

Amherst and Bedford are probably the most upscale communities in the area you've outlined. If you can afford to live there (property values tend to be a fair amount higher than neighboring towns) then they may be the towns for you but affordable starter homes are harder to find in those towns.

The towns toward the center (Salem, Merrimack, Pelham, Windham, Londonderry, Derry, Litchfield) are all suburban commuter towns to varying degrees. Look at the local tax rate and other amenities to help you pick. I'm partial to Merrimack, lived here for 13+ years, two kids in the school system but my choices and compromises might not match yours.

Back
Top Bottom