• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tell me about hunting and land purchase in Upper State New York.

Surfing the net I come across these parcels of land for sale for 20-30k for 5+acres and mention of a 7 week hunting period including Sundays. What is the catch? Tug hill region? ATV and Snowmobile trails throughout some of these properties. What gives?

Is it because its in no mans land? Hunting is not what it portrayed? Crime?

I've seen the same thing, looked at "landandcamps.com" many times. Been so tempted but it is a long drive to use as much as I would like.

Land is cheap. Taxes may not be. Plus its in new york. Anti freedom state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Syracuse area is very depressed. If you dont work for the university or the medicwl profession there is no jobs for you. No jobs equals no buyers for realestate equals wicked low prices.

I have been looking at a possible camp in NY for some time. Sunday hunting and early rifle season in the northern zone.
Down side is Safe Act and no legal ability to bring in handgun as nonresident.
But there is a lot of potentially good hunting land on the market and if you can find something that abuts or is near state land that's obviously a bonus.

For God's sake don't buy land in New York! My whole extended family has fled the place over the last 20 years. Corruption, high taxes on everything you can imagine and oppressive government. Do yourself a favor. There are better places to hunt, vacation and generally spend your money.

There's a reason all that land is for sale.

Surfing the net I come across these parcels of land for sale for 20-30k for 5+acres and mention of a 7 week hunting period including Sundays. What is the catch? Tug hill region? ATV and Snowmobile trails throughout some of these properties. What gives?

Is it because its in no mans land? Hunting is not what it portrayed? Crime?

Where in NY?... "upper state" really tells us absolutely nothing. Especially since many people seem to define "upstate NY" as anything north of NY city with the inclusion of what I would consider "western NY".

Syracuse area is very depressed. If you dont work for the university or the medicwl profession there is no jobs for you. No jobs equals no buyers for realestate equals wicked low prices.

There is a lot more area in "upstate NY" than Syracuse. That is kind of like saying don't go to MA because Springfield sucks.

Last edited:
Where in NY?... "upper state" really tells us absolutely nothing. Especially since many people seem to define "upstate NY" as anything north of NY city with the inclusion of what I would consider "western NY".

There is a lot more area in "upstate NY" than Syracuse. That is kind of like saying don't go to MA because Springfield sucks.

you are right but most of the cheap hunting land on those wesites are in close proximity to the syracuse area. My buddy lives 20 mins south of Syracuse and you can find 100 acres with a farmhouse for under 200 grand.

you are right but most of the cheap hunting land on those wesites are in close proximity to the syracuse area. My buddy lives 20 mins south of Syracuse and you can find 100 acres with a farmhouse for under 200 grand.

If you're trying to hunt the Syracuse area this week,bring your snowplow.You don't have to go beyond the Taconic Parkway,all you need there is a good front bumper.

There is plenty of good hunting and land this side of the Hudson River.If you go to the north corner of Ma it's close to NY and Vt. If you go to the southern corner of Ma., you have Ct and NY. This gives you the option of hunting three states.

Back
Top Bottom