• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tell me about Dan Wesson

Hello NES.

Short and to the point.

I have an opportunity to buy a Dan Wesson .357 from a friend. He says he NEEDS the money and will sell it for $600 if I can do it by the weekend.

Here is what we know about the gun:
Dan Wesson Arms Monson Ma.
It is part of a set with interchangeable barrels.
This example only has the 4"
Friend says he got it in the mid 80s
I've shot it. Nice revolver. Handles recoil nicely. Gritty trigger. Friend says its just in need of a professional cleaning.

So I ask NES for advise.

Is this a quality revolver? I don't know much about wheelguns but it feels good. The cylinder seems tight.
Am I getting a screwed on the price? I wouldn't put it past this dude to be a trickster.
If I buy it, who can I bring it to for a good cleaning.
Again, not a revoler guy.

Thanks for any help.

I think they're great revolvers... I have three of them. It has probably never been taken apart and cleaned contributing to the gritty trigger. Barrels are still available new from CZ and there's EWK Arms who makes high quality barrels and shrouds for them.

If you get it, and you should, join The Dan Wesson Forum and you'll find tutorials on how to disassemble it.

Is it blue or stainless? These are not easy to come by in MA.

If in good condition, go for it- nice revolver. IMO the Monson Dan Wessons rival the Python. Dad used to take a .44 Mag to the Alaska bush for backup. Not a friendly environment, but that revolver still looked beautiful after several seasons of service. Nice shooter too, still in the family.

If you get it, and you should, join The Dan Wesson Forum and you'll find tutorials on how to disassemble it.

Is it blue or stainless? These are not easy to come by in MA.

It is blued. Some light wear on the muzzle and a little swirling. I'm planning on shooting this. How does it handle hot .357 loads?

Rep308: pm me your contact info and I'll forward it if I decide to pass. Located south shore btw

Daniel Baird Wesson II (April 1916 – November 1978) was an inventor and firearms maker and the great-grandson of inventor and firearms maker Daniel Baird Wesson who was co-founder of Smith & Wesson. Wesson worked in Smith & Wesson, the family company, from 1938 until 1963 when it was acquired by the conglomerate Bangor Punta.[SUP][1][/SUP] He left S&W and launched Dan Wesson Arms Inc. in 1968.[SUP][2][/SUP]The first Dan Wesson production revolvers, the Model 11 & 12 (later revolvers were marked as D11 & W12) were shipped in August 1970.
Wesson's firearms are known for a high quality of craftsmanship. Dan Wesson Arms introduced a rare design among revolvers, the design featured the ability to change barrels and grips with simple hand tools, which made these guns popular with shooters.
In 1992, Dan Wesson Arms Co. was renamed Wesson Firearms Co. and run by his son, Seth and wife Carol until 1995.

Daniel Baird Wesson II (April 1916 – November 1978) was an inventor and firearms maker and the great-grandson of inventor and firearms maker Daniel Baird Wesson who was co-founder of Smith & Wesson. Wesson worked in Smith & Wesson, the family company, from 1938 until 1963 when it was acquired by the conglomerate Bangor Punta.[SUP][1][/SUP] He left S&W and launched Dan Wesson Arms Inc. in 1968.[SUP][2][/SUP]The first Dan Wesson production revolvers, the Model 11 & 12 (later revolvers were marked as D11 & W12) were shipped in August 1970.
Wesson's firearms are known for a high quality of craftsmanship. Dan Wesson Arms introduced a rare design among revolvers, the design featured the ability to change barrels and grips with simple hand tools, which made these guns popular with shooters.
In 1992, Dan Wesson Arms Co. was renamed Wesson Firearms Co. and run by his son, Seth and wife Carol until 1995.

Cool! Very interesting. Thanks!

I wouldn't jump too fast at $600 for a 4" stand-alone Monson Dan Wesson blued revolver showing wear/aging and with a gritty trigger, but apparently others would. On the other hand, $400 to $500 and now you've got my full attention. [wink]

Check around a few places for comparative pricing. I know Hunter's Trading Post had a couple used ones in stock last time I was there. Just can't remember what they were asking for them. Also, beware of plum coloring (sign of a bad bluing job) if you care about the gun's resale value.

The real "holy grail" is to find a full blown Dan Wesson Monson pistol pack in excellent condition with no plum discolorations. Now, for that I would pay some serious money. [grin]

Last edited:
I have one with the 4 barrel set. Is it close to my Python? not hardly but it's a quality piece... well it was until the former owner lost a couple of locking rings for the barrels and dinged one up good.

I bought it because it was a great deal and it was helping out a widow who I had bought a bunch of guns from. They were very highly spoke of back in 1981 when I bought my first revolver.

I bought a stainless one a couple years ago for $350 with 5 barrels. I paid exactly what the Blue Book said it was worth. $600 sounds like a lot.

If you buy it, make sure he includes the barrel wrench and feeler gauge for properly spacing the cylinder/barrel gap.

I bought a stainless one a couple years ago for $350 with 5 barrels. I paid exactly what the Blue Book said it was worth. $600 sounds like a lot.

If you buy it, make sure he includes the barrel wrench and feeler gauge for properly spacing the cylinder/barrel gap.

That's a deal.

I sold a stainless Monson one a couple of years ago with 4 barrels (one of which was heavily pitted) for either $900 or $1k, I can't remember.

Fa real?!? $350 for the full set. In stainless?

That sounds like an exceptionally good deal.

I think I'll counter with $500. I don't really need the gun and I REALLY don't need another calaber but... A nice gun is a nice gun.

I met Dan in '78 at an IHMSA match. Bought a 6" model 15H (heavy barrel) in '82 or so for $175 new and a 2-1/2" barrel for another $35. The thing drove tacks!! slick, smooth trigger right out of the box. Sold it to Flotter about 10 years ago, IIRC.

I don't know where it was made. Maybe the Monson one is something special. If I remember I'll look tonight, I know it's stamped on the frame.

It wasn't in fantastic condition but I cleaned it up (I'd love to bead blast it) and it looks much nicer. It's a shooter for sure. The previous owner used it for silhouettes or some kind of competition back in the day.

Let me tell you, with the 10" heavy barrel (I forget what this is called exactly) this thing makes .357 magnum feel like a mouse fart.

I had a Monson pistol pac Model 15 with four barrels, tools, and belt buckle that I sold to fund another project. Looking back I should have kept it.

Mine was mint I bought the whole pack for $600.00 at the time. I know they have gone up but your not buying the whole package.

The price your friend is asking is high in my opinion for a gun with one barrel not in excellent condition.

i also shot dan wesson revolvers in ihmsa competition in the mid 80's to early 90's. both the 44 mag and 357. both were pistol pacs with the 357 having 4 barrels and the 44 with 3. these were tanks, built very well. the cylinder lock up was at the front of the cylinder as opposed to being in the rear. their claim to fame was their accuracy. any review you read of these from 20+ years ago and beyond, the authors raved about the accuracy. part of the reason was the way the barrel was secured. you tightened the front barrel shroud nut down and you were securing the the barrel with opposite pressure, from the muzzle end and it was pulling from the forcing cone rear end. you got with the gun a little envelope with a shim for the cylinder gap measurement and a tool. the tool served as a barrel wrench, sight adjustment tool (hex head wrench), and a tool to remove the nut that secured the grip to the frame. there was a "grip spike" i guess you'd call it, not the traditional frame you would see say on a smith revolver. shooting ihmsa, we would not use the shim but rather just set the barrel right down on the cylinder and back it off just a tiny bit. enough for the cylinder to rotate without binding. we were trying to reduce the cylinder gap to as small as possible. this was great but as the match progressed, it was 40 rounds in stages of 5, the heat expaned the metal and we has a hell of a time rotating the cylinder. you had to thumb back the hammer while with the other hand, help turn the cylinder manually. I remember going to the dan wesson factory twice a year in monson to have the timing repaired. i'd leave woburn at 5 am to get there at 7 and i'd just walk in the employee entrance with the workers. try doing that now. I got to know seth a little. i had known him cause he and his son shot ihmsa at the time so we knew each other in passing. a few times i was asked to his office for coffee and got a plant tour with him. i remember him as being generous meaning a few times i asked to buy some parts, like a 2" barrel and shroud for my 357 and he just went and got them and gave them to me. always came out with misc screws and springs but he did give some hi ticket items away as i said. the monson factory was an old converted school. one thing i remember is the assembly area was in the old science lab and the gun to be assembled was brought to the assembler in a tray that was designed to fit in the old lab sinks. i'm pretty sure i'm remembering that right. back to the guns themselves, i shot primarily the 44 in the matches but near the end, before my buddy and myself stopped shooting it, we were experimenting with the 357 by loading a 35 caliber rifle bullet over a compressed charge in a 38 case. i won't mention the loading but it was a handful. i have saved a couple of rounds i'll try to find and post a pic for your viewing curiosity. these revolvers took a beating and worked very well. I sold both pacs, my 44 was a 2 digit serial number, 00xx. i remember seth asking me where i got it from. actually, i got it used from a mechanic i worked with at the time. the 44 pacs were scarce and he had one. said his father knew someone who worked at the factory. i pestered him untill he sold it to me. paid 350.00 and wish i kept it. sweet guns. somebody mentioned the belt buckle that came in the pac case, i had forgotten that detail. a nice touch. i don't know if i'd pay 600 bucks for a used, no box dan wesson. i would for a full pistol pac with the attache case it came in. but i don't know what they sell for now either. i'd say 450 - 475 would be reasonable offer. at 600 you might get buyers remorse but i've been know to pay way over what somethings worth if i want it badly enough. ok, i'm done, got a little long winded.

I just checked on mine and it was made in Palmer, MA. I don't know what difference that makes in terms of value but it is what it is.
i just saw they moved to palmer in 1993?? under the wesson brand. the monson guns were dan wesson arms i believe. now I know my dates are off. while i was going to the monson factory, i remember being told they had an operation seperate from guns in palmer and they were manufacturing lip stick cases, you know the twisty things lip stick comes in. something happened, maybe a bankruptcy, and they ceased gun manufacturing. im fuzzy on details but they restructured the gun business and moved to palmer calling themselves wesson. maybe someone else can elaborate. sorry for hijacking this, is interesting though, isnt it?

i just saw they moved to palmer in 1993?? under the wesson brand. the monson guns were dan wesson arms i believe. now I know my dates are off. while i was going to the monson factory, i remember being told they had an operation seperate from guns in palmer and they were manufacturing lip stick cases, you know the twisty things lip stick comes in. something happened, maybe a bankruptcy, and they ceased gun manufacturing. im fuzzy on details but they restructured the gun business and moved to palmer calling themselves wesson. maybe someone else can elaborate. sorry for hijacking this, is interesting though, isnt it?

So you're saying even with a 10" barrel I can still carry it as a purse gun?

I'll be damned, it does say "Wesson Firearms Palmer, MASS, USA" on it.

I just checked my Blue Book and the "Dan Wesson Firearms" are more valuable than what I have. I'm trying to keep up with the name changes and mfg location in the Blue Book, but it's hard to follow. Then again some aren't as valuable. Man, this is confusing.

OP, if you have good info on this gun and would like me to look it up in the Blue Book, let me know.

Last edited:
Here is my 4 digit serial number Monson, MA .44 heavy vented shroud. Has the "plum" blue frame that some exhibit.

Dont know exact history on mine but someone did an amazing trigger job on it at some point. Its SA trigger is the nicest trigger i've ever felt.

I have a ported and non-ported barrel for it and I've been looking for a shorter shroud/barrel for it for some time but have never found one. I've found lots of 8-10" barrels but nothing less than 6.

Insanely accurate and built like a tank. My understanding is the revolvers are stronger than almost any stock revolvers being made in the same caliber.

danwesson.jpg

i also shot dan wesson revolvers in ihmsa competition in the mid 80's to early 90's. both the 44 mag and 357. both were pistol pacs with the 357 having 4 barrels and the 44 with 3. these were tanks, built very well. the cylinder lock up was at the front of the cylinder as opposed to being in the rear. their claim to fame was their accuracy. any review you read of these from 20+ years ago and beyond, the authors raved about the accuracy. part of the reason was the way the barrel was secured. you tightened the front barrel shroud nut down and you were securing the the barrel with opposite pressure, from the muzzle end and it was pulling from the forcing cone rear end. you got with the gun a little envelope with a shim for the cylinder gap measurement and a tool. the tool served as a barrel wrench, sight adjustment tool (hex head wrench), and a tool to remove the nut that secured the grip to the frame. there was a "grip spike" i guess you'd call it, not the traditional frame you would see say on a smith revolver. shooting ihmsa, we would not use the shim but rather just set the barrel right down on the cylinder and back it off just a tiny bit. enough for the cylinder to rotate without binding. we were trying to reduce the cylinder gap to as small as possible. this was great but as the match progressed, it was 40 rounds in stages of 5, the heat expaned the metal and we has a hell of a time rotating the cylinder. you had to thumb back the hammer while with the other hand, help turn the cylinder manually. I remember going to the dan wesson factory twice a year in monson to have the timing repaired. i'd leave woburn at 5 am to get there at 7 and i'd just walk in the employee entrance with the workers. try doing that now. I got to know seth a little. i had known him cause he and his son shot ihmsa at the time so we knew each other in passing. a few times i was asked to his office for coffee and got a plant tour with him. i remember him as being generous meaning a few times i asked to buy some parts, like a 2" barrel and shroud for my 357 and he just went and got them and gave them to me. always came out with misc screws and springs but he did give some hi ticket items away as i said. the monson factory was an old converted school. one thing i remember is the assembly area was in the old science lab and the gun to be assembled was brought to the assembler in a tray that was designed to fit in the old lab sinks. i'm pretty sure i'm remembering that right. back to the guns themselves, i shot primarily the 44 in the matches but near the end, before my buddy and myself stopped shooting it, we were experimenting with the 357 by loading a 35 caliber rifle bullet over a compressed charge in a 38 case. i won't mention the loading but it was a handful. i have saved a couple of rounds i'll try to find and post a pic for your viewing curiosity. these revolvers took a beating and worked very well. I sold both pacs, my 44 was a 2 digit serial number, 00xx. i remember seth asking me where i got it from. actually, i got it used from a mechanic i worked with at the time. the 44 pacs were scarce and he had one. said his father knew someone who worked at the factory. i pestered him untill he sold it to me. paid 350.00 and wish i kept it. sweet guns. somebody mentioned the belt buckle that came in the pac case, i had forgotten that detail. a nice touch. i don't know if i'd pay 600 bucks for a used, no box dan wesson. i would for a full pistol pac with the attache case it came in. but i don't know what they sell for now either. i'd say 450 - 475 would be reasonable offer. at 600 you might get buyers remorse but i've been know to pay way over what somethings worth if i want it badly enough. ok, i'm done, got a little long winded.

That was a BITCH read that I couldn't make it thru.

Maybe the next time you reply you could hit the return/enter key so that a few people interested in the topic might learn some valuable insight to a local company.

Sorry to sound like a bitch but..........

That was a BITCH read that I couldn't make it thru.

Maybe the next time you reply you could hit the return/enter key so that a few people interested in the topic might learn some valuable insight to a local company.

Sorry to sound like a bitch but..........

Just spend a little more time trying to read it and a little less time bitching about it and you'll be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom