• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tell me about bear hunting (RESULT in post # 13)

Beretta92FS

NES Member
I'm going on my first black bear hunting in northern NH this coming September; hunting from a tree stand over bait.

Got a big nice gun in .375 H&H that should take care of business, but what else do I need? I'd be grateful for any advise; do's and don't do's, what to look for, other equipment needed and so forth.

original.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going on my first black bear hunting in northern NH this coming September; hunting from a tree stand over bait.

Got a big nice gun in .375 H&H that should take care of business, but what else do I need? I'd be grateful for any advise; do's and don't do's, what to look for, other equipment needed and so forth.

Curious what you plan to use for bait? An acquaintance, distant relative, yourself?

Is this a guided trip? Private land of a friend? If it is guided usually the guide has a website of what you should bring, might like to bring and don't bring.

I know one thing my brother and I both learned, separately, on the back roads of Maine; make sure your vehicle spare and jack is accessible. [laugh] Gravel roads have some sharp rocks.

Have a safe and successful hunt.

First you need an additional permit to hunt over bait. Then, make sure you're not using any bait that contains cocoa or chocolate.

What made you go with 375 H&H? You are getting up near 40lbs of recoil energy. I’ve taken two black bears and I used a .308. You will absolutely get the job done with a 375 but that’s a big recoil that’s not required. I’ve hunted Africa twice and I brought 458 Lott and a 308, I never shot the 458 Lott.

I'd be grateful for any advise; do's and don't do's,

Serious point: Get close to a place where the drag out is not a lengthy thing. A couple hundred pounds on a string is a biatch.

Curious what you plan to use for bait? An acquaintance, distant relative, yourself?

LOL.... Honestly, Twinkies are the bombs for bear.

Well, I got my bear! Had been waiting for a few hours and was sitting screwing around with my phone when I suddenly see the bear coming in to my left. It's truly amazing how such a large beast can be so silent. It took a good 10 minutes for it to come in, it was sniffing in the air, looking around, but in the end the temptation of the bait food was too much. One shot and it dropped on the spot without taking a single step.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Well, I got my bear! Had been waiting for a few hours and was sitting screwing around with my phone when I suddenly see the bear coming in to my left. It's truly amazing how such a large beast can be so silent. It took a good 10 minutes for it to come in, it was sniffing in the air, looking around, but in the end the temptation of the bait food was too much. One shot and it dropped on the spot without taking a single step.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg
Congrats!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom