Tell me about .41 Magnum.

roccoracer

NES Member
I have seen a couple of revolvers chambered in .41 mag at a local gun store. I imagine the ammo is more difficult to find than most others revolver calibers so is it worth it?
I also ask because I was handed a box of .41 mag ammo for free last week.

Attachments

• 20210124_110004.jpg
    20210124_110004.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 5
The story behind .41 Magnum is similar to 10mm Auto. The .41 Magnum was a brainchild intended to fill a perceived performance gap between .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum for police in the 1960s and 70s. The .41 Magnum was developed by Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, and Skeeter Skelton.

If you're really into 1960s-era gun writing, the .41 Magnum might have some appeal from a "why not?" and nostalgic point of view. From a practical point of view, 10mm Auto is available in more guns these days and is still going relatively strong.

Buy what makes you happy.

I'm kind of a neewbie to this caliber but I have a newer Model 57 and a Henry Big Boy in .41 Mag. Would like to find 657 to add to the stable. I'm well stocked on components for it too. I' have only loaded a few small batches with the 210gr JHP. This is just another caliber that I didn't need but wanted..LOL

Eh,
I LOVE the .41 magnum to the exclusion of all other revolver calibers. Have two Blackhawks and a Model 57 and 58 S&W's. Before things went mental, I was buying HSM semi-wadcutters and Magtech and Black hills cowboy loads for around $35 a box of fifty. There really are a variety of loads available for it.
Reloading is fun too, if they ever make primers for the secondary market again.

Enbloc,
You know if you ever have a quarrel with that M57, and want someone to pay to take the trouble-maker off your hands...........
I wish. Not mine. Stock photo

Stockwell hit the nail on the head, if you're not a reloader the 10mm is the better choice for cheaper ammo and also lower recoil with .40. Even tho 10mm & 40 aren't 9mm or .357, it's much more popular than .41 Magnum and it's a good thing that the 10/40 aren't 9/357 because that means you may likely find some of the ammo at normal prices.

One benefit that I think would make the 10mm revolver an even better choice than .41 Magnum is you can ream the chambers in the cylinder deeper for the 10mm Magnum, which is a legit magnum equal to .41 Mag in power, but would still retain the ability to shoot 10mm Auto and .40 S&W. Would be much more powerful than .357, but not quite .44 Mag in power, however IDK how often full power .44 Mag is needed, probably almost never for most people.

If you're down my way, I've got a partial box of R-P 210 gr JSP and some .410"cast bullets. Dies on hand, too, but no brass..
Live-fire onsite.

Attachments

• IMG_1316.JPG
    IMG_1316.JPG
    442.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom