Tell me about .22 Bullseye

Generally speaking if you hold your pinky too tight it actually moves with your trigger finger. Try it sometime. The best thing is to keep your two middle fingers with a good grip and use the pinky either with a very light grip or off the grip.

Inconsistently low. Between jerking and holding to tight when squeezing trigger ( on your chart)

Do you have target grips on your pistol? Sometimes those can help because they tend to fix your hand in one position. I always put the gun into my hand the exact same way so that I have consistency. IMHO, consistency is a key to improvement. If you break down the various steps into pieces and do them all the same way each time, you can then experiment with just changing one thing at a time and see how it affects your score.

Another thought is to spend a practice session concentrating on just one thing, e.g., a smooth trigger pull. Or how you breathe, or how tightly you grip the gun, etc.

That bullseyepistol site I linked above has a lot of really good stuff on it.

Do you have target grips on your pistol? Sometimes those can help because they tend to fix your hand in one position. I always put the gun into my hand the exact same way so that I have consistency. IMHO, consistency is a key to improvement. If you break down the various steps into pieces and do them all the same way each time, you can then experiment with just changing one thing at a time and see how it affects your score.

Another thought is to spend a practice session concentrating on just one thing, e.g., a smooth trigger pull. Or how you breathe, or how tightly you grip the gun, etc.

That bullseyepistol site I linked above has a lot of really good stuff on it.

Yes I do have target grips, but right now I am still using the wife's MarkIII. It has the factory trigger. I have all of the VQ parts but I am waiting for the Sam Lam bushing to come in so I do not have to tear it all down twice. I am going to call S&W to find out when they expect my 41 to be done. I checke out the site you posted and will definetly read up more on that link. Thank you

Slapping at the trigger will get you low left every time. Ask me how I know that [rolleyes]
Over the holiday break I'm going to work on deconstructing some of the problems I've been having. The most challenging part by far has been keeping a clear head throughout the stages. I know I can shoot much better, but the damned nerves have been jacking things up. Practice, practice.

Once I get my LTC I would definitely consider this...is there a place where I can see the rules, etc.? I'd like to get something like a S&W M41 with an Ultradot at some point, but I might see if I can lay myself on something less expensive to start. Does anyone know if Harvard has a bullseye competition?
Harvard doesn't have a bullseye competition that I'm aware of... so why not go the next meeting and ask? And if the answer is no, why not try and get one started? Looking on the Harvard forum, it seems that someone was interested enough to post about a Wednesday night league that used to exist - get in touch with him and see if you can get one started again!

I somehow missed this thread when it was active the first time through. This is something that I would really like to try but at this point the only .22 pistol I have is a Ruger SR22. Is that even worthwhile to try to use since it is considered to be more of a plinker than a target gun?
What's the absolute worst that can happen if you show up with an SR22 to a bullseye match? You "waste" a box of ammo? More likely, a bunch of guys will probably offer you the use of their much more expensive target guns. If it's what you have, bring it and shoot it. At the very least, you'll discover if you're going to be interested enough to pursue the sport enough to decide on whether or not to get a better target gun.

The most challenging part by far has been keeping a clear head throughout the stages. I know I can shoot much better, but the damned nerves have been jacking things up. Practice, practice.

I share your pain and sorrow. I can pull high 260's low 270's when I'm training. When it comes to a match I'm a 250's guy. It's very aggravating. Tonight is our last match until after the new year. I'd like to end the year with a good score.

Did Acushnet really lose against another team in the Twin County League last night? (4/9)

hahaha. Yes. We lost to Taunton Black. We shot a decent score (a bit below what we have been shooting lately thoughin the 1400s) with a 1393 but they shot the best score of their season with a 1398. So we had our second loss of the season but that was the final match of the season and we still won the Twin County League for this year. The TB guys really had a great night and we shot in the new side of the range for the first time this year. We had some technical difficulties to work through but all in all it was pretty good.

hahaha. Yes. We lost to Taunton Black. We shot a decent score (a bit below what we have been shooting lately thoughin the 1400s) with a 1393 but they shot the best score of their season with a 1398. So we had our second loss of the season but that was the final match of the season and we still won the Twin County League for this year. The TB guys really had a great night and we shot in the new side of the range for the first time this year. We had some technical difficulties to work through but all in all it was pretty good.

This would give you a record of 18 and 2, right? That would be identical to the Satucket record. This would be a tie, and require a shoot-off according to league rules, no?

Last edited:
NO. You guys have 3 losses to us this season. And we lost once to you guys and now once to TB. That puts us 1 ahead of you and the season is finished.

Do you get the league stats that your captain(?) collects and publishes? Look at standing.txt. We have only two losses for the season. You guys had one. Now you have two.

I know the league stats. I post them on our website and work the Arthur on them. I will be the statistician for both leagues next year. The one your captain sent you is old. The one you see that I just pointed out on our website includes our last match against you guys at your club that we won by 1 point. That was your third loss. We are behind because many captains are not sending in scores so Arthur can't get the updated stats out.

Think it out...we have shot against you 4 times this year and you only won 1 match. The season is over so you have 3 losses.

Last edited:
I know the league stats. I post them on our website and work the Arthur on them. I will be the statistician for both leagues next year. The one your captain sent you is old. The one you see that I just pointed out on our website includes our last match against you guys at your club that we won by 1 point. That was your third loss. We are behind because many captains are not sending in scores so Arthur can't get the updated stats out.

Hmmm. My attendance to matches and interest in the record of my team has been pretty strong, and it has been my belief that Satucket has only had two losses in total this year. I know you're being honest, but is there a possibility that something was accidentally incorrectly recorded? Please don't take that question as any sort of criticism, you guys have an outstanding team and I have a lot of respect for you.

ETA: have emailed our captain(s) and posed the question about how many losses.

Dude...really?!?!

We beat you at home 1st match of the year. We lost to you by one point at your place second match of the year. We beat you at home 3rd match of the year. We beat you by one point at your place 4th match of the year on March 5th Week 23. That is the latest stat that was emailed to your captain on 4/7 by Arthur. YOU may not have that stat yet because your captain has not sent it to you but it is posted on our website as I showed you earlier. Did you attend the match on 3/5? All of your team members knew then that it was unlikely that your team would be able catch up with that many losses and congratulated us and wished us luck at the GOAL match.

Ok, what I am seeing is that it looks like the text files being distributed don't match the excel spreadsheets. Going back to the XLS file, it is exactly what you say, so I stand corrected but oddly, the text files (even the one just mailed out the other day) show me only 2 Satucket losses, and I never imagined a divergence between them. Not sure how that would happen. Sorry about that!

There is no discrepancy though. What I am saying is that the last text file you received is before the 3/5 match we had. The email that went out on 4/7 to all captains had that match in it and shows your last loss to us. That is the one your captain has not sent you yet. This all stems from captains not getting their scores to Arthur in a reasonable amount of time. We have team captains who can't be bothered to send scores in for a few weeks after matches. I am working on setting up a new scoring online database setup that will let the captain enter the scores into a web browser no matter what type of computer, OS or browser they have. This will make it easier. The scores are going to calculate at midnight each Sunday night in the database and any team who does not have the scores in will get zeros across the board. In a case of makeups I will have to open the week back up for the teams to enter later. There is no reason the statistician should have to constantly email reminders for teams to give scores for matches that happened weeks ago holding everything up.

I am attaching a layout of what the page will likely look like for submitting scores.

pistol scoring database form1.jpg

Online updating sounds great! Although I think a paper trail for an audit is probably a good thing to keep as well.

Please pardon my confusion about this. I hear what you are saying about what I receive being behind. I suppose it was merely an odd coincidence that what I got in email from my captain was on 4/7 at 1:43 PM, and had the subject line "FW: twin results wk #22"?

The content of standing.txt (just the top part) looked like:

Acushnet 18 1 1390.26
Satucket 17 2 1388.68
Taunton Red 9 11 1348.45
Taunton Black 7 13 1283.15
Plymouth 6 13 1319.74
New Bedford 5 13 1319.89
Taunton Blue 5 13 1318.11
Hanson 0 1 0.00

So that is why I was confused. Thanks for your patience in this!

ahhhhh. Now I see. On 4/7 Arthur sent out 4 emails to captains. Two were for the Cape League and were for weeks 24 and 25 and two were for Twin County for weeks 22 and 23. Your captain must have only sent you the week 22 email. It gets crazy when many weeks have to be done at once because the scores aren't submitted. A paper trail will still be kept with the same sheets by each captain as they are done now from each match. This is just an easier way for the league statistician to take scores and generate the reports.

Well, I hope I get the week 23 email some day. LOL. I would have expected that the other loss would have been reflected in an earlier file, but I guess not. At any rate, this appears to narrow down the cause for my confusion, which I really appreciate.

Well, I hope I get the week 23 email some day. LOL. I would have expected that the other loss would have been reflected in an earlier file, but I guess not. At any rate, this appears to narrow down the cause for my confusion, which I really appreciate.

That last match we had at your club was week 23 so it wouldn't have been reflected until that last results were sent out for Week 23.

If you PM me your email address I will forward you the Week23 results. The email is for Week23 and also asking for missing scores from teams.

Back
Top Bottom