• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teen Shot 3 Times During Toilet Paper Prank

Back in the day, TP-ing teens would have met with Mr. Rocksalt - we took the risk every time we were up to no good. My how times have changed...Kids lucky he was sportin birdshot and not something more sinister...Everyone loses on this one....

When a group of 14 year olds buys a CASE of toilet paper, you KNOW they're up to some shenanigans. How unfortunate that all this could have been avoided by some common sense TP Control Laws.
There should be a strict One-Roll-A-Month Law and a 15 day waiting period before you can take delivery of your TP.
It's for the children..............

Picture this. Crime in your neighborhood is increasing. There was a home invasion just a couple of streets over. Thinking about a handgun, some knowledgeable folks tell you that a shotgun with small pellets is better for home defense. You buy a 12 ga with spreader choke that you intend to use for home defense. You load it with birdshot, to reduce the likelihood of going through a wall and hitting other home occupants if discharged inside the home. You take every precaution you can think of. You have no intentions of being a hero.

Now picture 5 teens intending on a harmless prank. They go to a house where a friend of theirs lives and decide to TP the house. In typical kid fashion, they aren't as quiet as they should be, giggling and joking around. Hearing noises outside and assuming the worst, the father pulls out the shotgun and heads to the front door. He hears noises as he approaches his front doot, and something by an upstairs window. Is it a thief trying to climb to the second floor?

He opens the front door and turns towards where he heard the sound, but he doesn't see anyone there. He doesn't realize yet that it was a roll of TP bouncing off the house. He hears someone over by the right side of the house and heads that way. Just then, someone runs around from the left side of the house, and almost runs right into the guy.

The TP kid realizes what is going on, but the owner, already on edge and believing there is a perceived threat on both sides of him, shoots the one that is the closest to him. After the first shot, of which three pellets hit the kid, the conflict is over and everyone realizes what happened. The reporter, in typical reported fashion, is more concerned with sensationalism than accuracy in his story.

That sounds pretty believable to me.

How about this? A gun toting nut, paranoid that the world is out to get him, buys an evil black rifle.. scratch that... a plain old shotgun. Hearing the noises that you immediately identify as 5 known kids armed with TP, you run out of the house in a rage, and quickly unload 3 shots into the nearest offender.

When a group of 14 year olds buys a CASE of toilet paper, you KNOW they're up to some shenanigans. How unfortunate that all this could have been avoided by some common sense TP Control Laws.
There should be a strict One-Roll-A-Month Law and a 15 day waiting period before you can take delivery of your TP.
It's for the children..............

Now that's a common sense approach to TP control. Who needs that amount of TP anyway? You gotta nip these problems in the bud before they become more dangerous.[laugh]

I have no remorse for the kid. I did the same dumb things and I would have deserved the same dumb consequences. It's just like I have no remorse for those morons who get killed drag racing on the street. In both cases I'd rather see no one get hurt, but the point is you do those things and you know you can crash, or get taken for a home invader, or piss off someone enough on thier property for them to shoot you. It's just a matter of tough cookies if it actually happens, and good luck if it don't. But you've got no one to blame but yourself. The kid wasn't wiping his ass on his own toilet seat with that stuff. He was comitting a crime, in the dark, making noises similar to a home invader.

As for the shooter? I don't know enough of the story and I don't think anyone else here does either to comment on wether he mistook the kid for an honest threat or was just pissed off and trigger happy. One scenario means he did nothing wrong, the other means he took justice a little bit too far and the punishment don't fit the crime.

Last edited:
what actress was it recently, within the past 6 months or so, was advocating 1 sheet per wipe in order to save the environment. If her idea had taken hold, and was legislated into law in Michigan, or as a federal law, then the 5 unfortunate souls who were out there at 1 AM would not have had access to that quantity of paper product as it would have been rationed or otherwise limited in its distribution.

Didn't these youths, who have been brought up on a "save the planet" diet, realize the number of trees that were cut down for them to go waste it on a prank?

what actress was it recently, within the past 6 months or so, was advocating 1 sheet per wipe in order to save the environment. If her idea had taken hold, and was legislated into law in Michigan, or as a federal law, then the 5 unfortunate souls who were out there at 1 AM would not have had access to that quantity of paper product as it would have been rationed or otherwise limited in its distribution.

Didn't these youths, who have been brought up on a "save the planet" diet, realize the number of trees that were cut down for them to go waste it on a prank?

Cheryl Crow.

I stand corrected... singer not actress

Eh, close enough. I thought she was on some tv show or in a movie or two.

oddly enough, her idea isn't as stupid as some other celebrity that says she brushes her teeth in the shower to save water. Oh really?? You stand there for 2-3 minutes under a full open shower to brush your teeth and that saves water? fecking dumbass.

Last edited:
Kids being kids. It has always been this way, always will be.

TP'ing a house is the least of my concerns with the behavior of children. It's a shame it had to go down this way.

Perhaps the next guy in town will be congratulated for mortally shooting an 11 year old with a bag of dog shit intended for his front door.

depends on if the dog poo filled bag is lit, then it is attempted arson of an occupied dwelling.

If the turds are shaped like a cross then ignited it is a hate crime

Kids being kids. It has always been this way, always will be.

TP'ing a house is the least of my concerns with the behavior of children. It's a shame it had to go down this way.

Perhaps the next guy in town will be congratulated for mortally shooting an 11 year old with a bag of dog shit intended for his front door.
How does one tell the difference between a 11 year old prankster and a burglar in the dark?

IMHO the most damning factor is that he fired three shots. I will give him the benefit of doubt and will assume he was in fear for his life or startled when he makes that first shot. To me, when he:
1. Sees Kids
2. Sees Toilet paper all over his house
3. Has a son their age

The next thing to logically do is not to put another two rounds towards the kids.

We are so hesitant to say "gun owner was wrong" that sometimes I am a little embarassed by how great lenghts we go to give a gun owner respect he might not deserve. If someone shot their kid in the dark basement, we'd all be saying "Identify your target!" yet this guy shoots an unarmed kid toilet papering his house, outside of his home, without identifying his target as a threat...and lots support him.

How does one tell the difference between a 11 year old prankster and a burglar in the dark?

Training. And frankly, I hope for your sake you learn how to because otherwise a guy named bubba will be your roommate for a long time if you ever are in a situation even remotely complicated (and when are they not complicated) and can't suss out the context of the situation in short order.

They should prosecute this guy for assault with a deadly weapon. We don't need this kind of ridiculous crap giving us a bad name.

Training. And frankly, I hope for your sake you learn how to because otherwise a guy named bubba will be your roommate for a long time if you ever are in a situation even remotely complicated (and when are they not complicated) and can't suss out the context of the situation in short order.
Hey thanks for the insult to my skills and abilities! What can I say, I blame the military for the training they gave me [wink]

Now remember kids, you in the Great Commonwealth of Ma just let someone off who was having his business burgled on a regular basis, a person who laid in wait with a loaded shotgun in a dark business in the middle of the night, who confronted the employee who was there to remove product without permission (steal it) and then chased the person out of the building opening fire on him in the process as he was fleeing.

I have more of an issue with that than I do the guy in Michigan.

HANOVER — Four times they stole from his catering company, taking cash, alcohol and cases of beef, lobster and shrimp. Twice he called police, yet no one had been caught.

So David Crest sat in his darkened office, armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, waiting for the burglar to come back.

Late Monday night, someone did.

According to the police report, Crest confronted the unarmed man, one of his part-time cooks, and fired four times.

The first shot went into the ground, Crest told police, as did the second, when John O’Connor, 43, of Weymouth started to run away. The last two hit O’Connor’s car, striking the passenger’s and driver’s side doors.

O’Connor escaped and drove off, but was caught by State Police with “fresh meats and other food items” in the back of his Chevrolet Cobalt, authorities said.

O’Connor pleaded innocent to charges of breaking and entering to commit a felony and larceny from a building at his arraignment in Hingham District Court on Tuesday. He was ordered held in lieu of $2,500 cash bail.

Hanover police are also seeking charges against Crest, a Marshfield resident, for assault with a dangerous weapon and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building.

According to Police Chief Paul Hayes, Crest will be summoned to appear before a clerk magistrate, who will decide whether there is enough evidence to formally charge him.

Crest, the owner of Family Crest Catering in Hanover, called the charges unfair, saying police failed to help him stop the prior burglaries.

“I don’t think it’s right,” he said. “Good police work would have got this guy, and not a determined business owner.”

After two more burglaries last week cost him “thousands of dollars” in merchandise, Crest said he decided to take matters into his own hands.

Suspecting the thief was an employee, Crest told his workers that he’d be out of town this week, then started his stakeout on Sunday night.

“Would I do it again to protect my business and my family? Absolutely,” Crest said.

“I decided I needed to be here to catch this guy,” he said. “My intention was never to harm anybody or hurt anybody.”

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the insult to my skills and abilities! What can I say, I blame the military for the training they gave me [wink]

I wasn't insulting anything or anyone. You asked the question, I answered. Everyone here is hanging their hat on this idea that maybe there was extenuating circumstances, but that is all "more info" will provide. At the end of the day, the guy shot three times at an unarmed (presumably and no one has suggested otherwise) teenager pranking. That was the wrong answer. Why? Because he didn't get the context of what was happening around him.
Just a month ago, I was woken up in the morning by someone in my house, but they were quiet. My GF was on a 2 day (she's a trolley dolley for Delta), starting the day before, no one else has my keys, and no other plausible scenario popped to mind. I sprang, grabbed my USP, popped the safety and slid past my open bedroom door to see a hunched over figure on the stairway. This person was toast as I had already drawn on them and was in position to fire. Even though I only saw a back (the head was down) I saw my GFs flight bag and backed down. For the first time in 4 years that I knew her and years before that, her trip got canceled mid stream for a mechanical (they always get rerouted) and this time they released them because it happened in BOS after her first flight that day from wherever and she came home that morning, 12 hours early. She was trying not to wake me up and even got the dog by surprise.
Had I fired, I would have been wrong. Period. Doesn't matter that no one should have been there, or that I was surprised, or that I did not know the relatively benign explanation for her presence there, etc. I am responsible for whatever actions I perform and am responsible for understanding the context of the situation I am in. So was this guy in MI. Barring any really convincing mitigating circumstance, which I grant all skeptics is possible.

Now remember kids, you in the Great Commonwealth of Ma just let someone off who was having his business burgled on a regular basis, a person who laid in wait with a loaded shotgun in a dark business in the middle of the night, who confronted the employee who was there to remove product without permission (steal it) and then chased the person out of the building opening fire on him in the process as he was fleeing.

I have more of an issue with that than I do the guy in Michigan.

HANOVER — Four times they stole from his catering company, taking cash, alcohol and cases of beef, lobster and shrimp. Twice he called police, yet no one had been caught.

So David Crest ...

This guy walked??? Wow! I was curious what happened to him, but never knew. Agreed, this was an ambush and I am shocked.

Back
Top Bottom