• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teen Shooting

How many guys go pistol shooting with their teenage kids?
Would you encouraged them to get their permit as soon as they turn 21?

All up to the parent and if they feel their teen is responsible enough to take it seriously. My son won't even know they exist in my home until I feel he's ready.

Ditto to for the permit - although it's out of your hands at 21.

That's a good question! I think it not a question if you should push him, more if they will be mature enough to realize how much a responsibility it will be owning/carrying. Teaching youngsters the rights and wrongs will only help them make smart decisions in the future. Also, remind them at the ripe age of 21, their world has just opened up to all kinds of new and exciting things which are scary enough as a parent to think about. Most young adults at that age are mostly interested in getting drunk and chasing some tail around, at least I was lol. So it's wise to teach them all of the bad things that could happen if they mix booze and firearms, especially with law enforcement. If they decide to join the military after HS, they do a good job of teaching them discipline. It's better to mold them into the adults you want them to be than for them to learn the hard way. I think it would be a good way to deter them from drinking and driving.

I started shooting well before my teen years. I'm 13 yrs older then my brother and 16 yrs. older than my sister. I used to take them to the range all the time when we were younger. They both got their licenses at 21 and had FID's before. IMO the earlier the better. YMMV from kid to kid.

My son is now 13 and has a Ruger 10/22. He goes about 6 times a year. He likes it and hits pretty well with it. He handles it and himself well while at the range. Overall good times.

i also have a .22 revolver that he likes and does well with a sig 229 and a glock 26. He likes the single action .22 revolver the best. He stays away from the .45 though.

Last edited:
I spent the morning Saturday with my 15 year old daughter stripping my Glock 23 down, showing her the workings, then doing the same to a 10/22 and some Remington .22 rifles. She is curious about shooting having done so with Venture Scouts, but is apprehensive about handguns since the slide "jumped" when she hit the release.

Will see about about a wheel gun once I actually pick one up.

I have been shooting with my teens since I started shooting. I made sure they had their FIDs before they started driving, just in case they got caught with an odd casing or box of ammo in the car (not that they would consent to a search).

None of them have hit 21 yet, but I will encourage them to 'trade up' once that happens.

I started taking my son when he was 13. His twin sister has no interest but I haven't stopped trying to get her there too.

We started with a .22 for while, worked up to 9mm for a while, and he now shoots .45 very well. Last year we started going to bowling pin shoots and steel plate matches, which are a lot of fun and good bonding time. I bought him his own 1911 CMD for the matches and it will be his once he has his LTC.

Took my son trap shooting for the first time when he was just 13 1/2, was my first time too. He had never fired any type of gun at that point and he absolutely loved it! He got a 14 1st round and a 21 the 2nd with a borrowed 12ga. That was a year and a half ago and we still shoot trap on a regular basis. He will shoot rifles and enjoys that too, hand guns, not so much. We are just applying for his FID card. I believe it is important to teach kids early on about the many temptations available in life so they can make good decisions for themselves.

No kids but I do believe that it teaches a level of responsibility that oftentimes leads those kids down a life-path of staying out of trouble.

It instills the importance of never getting wrapped up in the legal system due to the lifetime consequences of doing otherwise.

I've brought a former client with her 11 yo Daughter to the range and they had a blast.

As an Instructor I've taught classes where the parents included their children in the class so they could get FID cards. I actively encourage people to seek out juniors programs for their kids.

I plan to but my 7 year old is still a little young. She does shoot a cross man 760 but I haven't had her shoot the 22 rifles yet. I will likely pick her up a savage rascal in the coming months. She help me in the man cave with reloading and working on guns when I can get her interested in it. I just need to make sure not to over do it and push her away from it.

My kids were shooting long guns <10.

Not long after, they shot handguns

Younger one got his NRA Apprentice Instructor Cert at 13, for Basic Pistol, and added the Shotgun cert later.

Both got FIDs at 15.

Older one started on our Club's Gallery Pistol Team with me @~15/16

All depends on the kid (and parent).

Smoke: Southborough Rod & Gun Club is hosting a Father's Day Parent and Kid Trap shoot - you're welcome to attend!

Mines 16
He's been shooting since he was 6.
Has his FID and will no doubt apply for Pistol permit at 21.
He can now outshoot his blind old Dad with pistol [sad2]
Rifle, he's catching up .

My daughter started with the rifle and shotgun at around the age of 8. She started with handguns at the age of 14.

I take my 17 year old daughter often to shoot indoors and out, handgun and rifle. She has her MA FID and is a very careful and confident shooter. Shoots tighter groups of both .22lr and 9mm better than me many days :-(

She does not have access to any firearms in the house whatsoever.

My son is 8 and has a single shot .22 rifle. He hasn't been out with me yet although I ask him every time I go to the range if he interested but so far I get "not this time". The one thing he has asked is if he could look at my guns. We have an agreement that anytime he wants to look at and handle them, all he has to do is ask. So far this has worked out well and it give us one on one time to talk about them, review safe handling and just be together. The last thing I want is for him to be sneaky or try and get into the safe.

I had Junior shooting a Marlin model 80 at 8 years old. My departments AR15 at 10 ( simply because we had just gotten them and I wanted everyone to know my 10 year old could shoot it no problem).
Hes 22 in July and has had his LTC since Dec 2014, carries daily now.

I intend on breaking my grandson in earlier than that, and have him in a shifter cart by the time hes like 6 lol

Where can an 18 year old CCW? Thought it was 21 everywhere...

That's only because federal BS has clouded your vision. (Fed law restricts sale of handgun ammunition and handguns to non 21s, but that doesn't mean possession is illegal.) NH and VT both allow it, as far as I know, and there are probably many others.

-Mike

How many guys go pistol shooting with their teenage kids?
Would you encouraged them to get their permit as soon as they turn 21?

I used to bring my teen... I don't anymore because the kid pisses through ammo like he doesn't have to pay for it. Oh wait, he doesn't...

Of course he loves the .45 too.

That's only because federal BS has clouded your vision. (Fed law restricts sale of handgun ammunition and handguns to non 21s, but that doesn't mean possession is illegal.) NH and VT both allow it, as far as I know, and there are probably many others.

-Mike
OK thanks for the explanation - and the additional reason to pull my car over on the way to work, somewhere next to a brick wall, and get out and repeatedly slam my head against it, since putting little "bang head against wall" gifs/emoticons/(whatever they're called) into threads and texts simply isn't sufficient anymore and I need to actually, physically do it if I'm to continue living in this Massachusetts HELLHOLE.

There. I've vented, and..

Planning on teaching safety around 5-6 and then I'm just going to let them express their interest from there. I don't want to pressure them one way or the other on it. My wife isn't keen on the idea but I've got years to bring her around.

Before my kids I've still gotta get my wife through it, she's expressed some intrest just 24 years of her liberal mother screaming guns are bad is still bouncing around in her head. Might sign her and her sister up for a woman's only course..

I started teaching my son firearm basics when he was 5. I let him handle a couple of my hand guns and rifles, unloaded of course. When he was 6 I got him a Daisy Red Rider (insert "you will shoot your eye out" joke here) and taught basic shooting skills. He graduated to a better pellet rifle and pistol at 7. He was 9 when I first brought him to the range. He shot a .22 rifle and pistol and a 9mm pistol. He is 15 now and enjoys going to the range whenever we can. He practices good safe handling of the firearms (I still watch him like a hawk). He can clear malfunctions and loads his own magazines.

When he is old enough to get a firearms license it will be up to him to make that decision. If he wants to just go shooting with his old Dad, I am ok with that too. If he decides to never touch a gun again, I'm ok with that. Either way I will support his decision.

Back
Top Bottom