• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teen arrested in slaying of lawyer's wife

Moderator said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/20/vitale.arrest/index.html

This is crazy. 16 years old.

The video of her Husband being interviewed is just heart-wrenching! [cry]

It's also proof-positive of why every adult should be allowed to have the means of self-defense at hand, especially in their own home. But of course, we don't allow that in Massachusetts! All firearms must be on/under control of owner or locked up, unloaded!

Interesting that the article had no real info on the 16 year old, what his connection might have been, etc.

Call me a skeptic, but I still think the husband was behind it.

His body language and demeanor on TV was all wrong, and his 911 call was curious, at best.

Time will tell, eh?

I'm not usually wrong on things like this, but I disagree Darius. He acts like someone who's coming to accept it, and all he wants to do is remember the times they had. He's trying to come to terms that she's no longer in his life, and all he's got left is pictures.

And, since I'm a firm believer in putting my money where my mouth is, IF I'm wrong, I'll buy you a six pack of your favorite brew.

Lynne said:
I'm not usually wrong on things like this, but I disagree Darius. He acts like someone who's coming to accept it, and all he wants to do is remember the times they had. He's trying to come to terms that she's no longer in his life, and all he's got left is pictures.

And, since I'm a firm believer in putting my money where my mouth is, IF I'm wrong, I'll buy you a six pack of your favorite brew.

Since this is a friendly wager and all, I will accept that bet, and will offer you the same if you win, but to win, you gotta bet that the teen who is under arrest is the murderer. Deal?

Cross-X said:
Lynne said:

Since this is a friendly wager and all, I will accept that bet, and will offer you the same if you win, but to win, you gotta bet that the teen who is under arrest is the murderer. Deal?

Shame on you counselor - nothing is mentioned other than he lives where they're building the house. Once some more information comes out, then I'll respond to your deal. And not to nit pick, but, I was betting on the husband's innocence, which you doubt.

Newsflash

Arrest made in attorneys wife murder
Your going to love why he beat her to death.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051020...ey_s_wife_slain

MARTINEZ, Calif. - A 16-year-old has been arrested in the slaying of the wife of criminal defense lawyer Daniel Horowitz, authorities said Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The name of the suspect was not released. Investigators were trying to determine the motive for the slaying, Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department spokesman Jimmy Lee said in announcing the arrest.

The suspect lived near the hilltop estate being constructed by Horowitz and his wife, Pamela Vitale, the San Francisco Chronicle and The Contra Costa Times reported on their Web sites, citing law enforcement sources.

Horowitz returned home in the upscale San Francisco suburb of Lafayette on Saturday evening and found his wife's bloodied body in the trailer home they were living in while a 7,000-square-foot home was being built on the property.

Authorities said Vitale, 52, was beaten to death.

Investigators believe the killing was related to a scheme that involved using stolen credit card numbers to fund a marijuana growing operation, an unidentified law enforcement source told the Chronicle.

The source said the boy had ordered equipment for the pot growing operation and mistakenly thought the supplies were delivered to Horowitz and Vitale's home.

The source said the suspect went there Saturday to look for the equipment and got in a fight with Vitale, allegedly striking her dozens of times in the head with a piece of crown molding that was left behind at the crime scene.

The boy apparently had scratches on his arms and legs from the fight, but had cleaned himself up after the fight, the source said.

"She fought back very hard. That was very obvious from the scene," Horowitz said Wednesday, adding that she had a massive wound to her head.

Horowitz rose to national prominence as a cable news commentator during the Scott Peterson murder trial, and has continued to do legal analysis for CNN and MSNBC.

Authorities questioned dozens of people in the case, including Horowitz, family members of some of his clients, and a man who lived on the couple's property.

Yea, I'm not sure...but I'm leaning towards C-X on this one.

He's too collected...I mean, I don't think that I could talk about this without my lips quivering the whole time. When you see other video of people this happens too, like when they lose thier kids. They have a hard time getting through every other word without losing it.

And, being that he's a lawyer, and no offence to you Darius, but I'm sure that he knows how he's supposed to act. And what he's supposed to say. I mean, don't they have coaches that they work with, with the people they represent?

But always doing the whole touching the neck when talking about his wife being dead. Like they do on TV... Or talking about how she was holding her, and then calling 911 then throwing away the phone because he didn't know what to say? Then waiting and calling the police?

I don't know, but I guess that we'll see.

If that lawyer did actually do it, I am reminded of that scene in Body Heat where the professional arsonist is telling William Hurt not to be the one to torch the building.

The arsonist tells Hurt, "There are nineteen, maybe twenty ways to screw this up and get caught. Even if you are a genius, you will be able to think of fifteen or sixteen of those ways. But...let me tell you something...you ain't no genius!"

The fact that the lawyer is a criminal defense lawyer doesn't necessarily make him a better criminal, or a better faker for the cameras.

Body language speaks volumes!

I stand by my take on seeing him in the video. There has to be more evidence than what they've released, as they don't always tell all before a hearing or trial (you should know that Darius). Did the kid do it? Who the hell knows. My take is hubby didn't. That's my bet - take it or leave it.

C-pher said:

He's too collected...

He probably appears that way because he's either numb, or because he's had to tell it so many times that he's become desensitized to telling it. Happened to me when my Dad died. It was very sudden, and people kept asking "what happened, was he sick..."

After a while you can't cry about it any more. You just get a little numb, and emotional scar tissue forms.

Actually, I believe him. I think Darius is wrong on this one.

Ross

Lynne said:
I stand by my take on seeing him in the video. There has to be more evidence than what they've released, as they don't always tell all before a hearing or trial (you should know that Darius). Did the kid do it? Who the hell knows. My take is hubby didn't. That's my bet - take it or leave it.

OK, I'll take your bet, blondie.

dwarven1 said:
C-pher said:

He's too collected...

He probably appears that way because he's either numb, or because he's had to tell it so many times that he's become desensitized to telling it. Happened to me when my Dad died. It was very sudden, and people kept asking "what happened, was he sick..."

After a while you can't cry about it any more. You just get a little numb, and emotional scar tissue forms.

Actually, I believe him. I think Darius is wrong on this one.

Ross

Ross, do you want in on the Blondie Bet?

Lynne said:
Cross-X said:
Body language speaks volumes!

True - however please note - people who lie blink ALOT. He was not blinking anymore than normal.

What about his constant shaking his head, left to right and back again, as if his body were saying no, no, no, while he was saying something totally different.

Body language tells all.

Was there no evidence at the scene? I would think by beating someone to death you may lose a piece of hair.

I hear ya Cross. It's just usually with a violent struggle like that, the Bad Guys leaves some type of DNA behind.

dwarven1 said:
Cross-X said:
Derek, I am not saying the lawyer did it himself, but rather that he hired a contract killer.

A 16 year old contract killer? I'm having a hard time with that one.

Why? There are gang memeber that are killing well before 16, just because they need the bucks.

Just because they aren't some Antonio Banderas and Sly Stallone in Assassins doesn't mean that he isn't getting paid to do a job. And that's all you need to be to be a contract killer. Doesn't mean that you have to be good. You just have to get paid.

At least that's my take on that...

dwarven1 said:
Cross-X said:
Derek, I am not saying the lawyer did it himself, but rather that he hired a contract killer.

A 16 year old contract killer? I'm having a hard time with that one.

Dwarven1, are you daydreaming again?

Try to keep up with the rest of the class, will ya?

I made my prediction that the lawyer hubby hired a killer before I read that the cops had arrested the teen.

Now, may we continue?

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

Cross-X said:
Now, may we continue?

Continue spinning pipe dreams, Counselor. I hope you're wrong, though. But we'll see as it plays out, I guess.

Obviously, I should be living in Bedford Falls. *shakes head*

Ross

Back
Top Bottom