"Techniques I don't need any Techniques"

M.Nastek

Instructor
NES Member
From what I can see most don't have any training techniques they only have excuses why not to train. I.E. money, travel, weather, job, cigarettes, coffee addiction, its going to be a full moon!!!!!!!!!.

Shooting it just does not make it.

Buy it wear it and forget about it.

That is the motto I keep hearing from the masses.

Prove me wrong and let me hear something.

Mike,

Two intertwined issues here:

• Most of us can get pointers from bullseye shooters that hang out at our gun clubs . . . and not knowing any better, we think this is adequate!
  • Until we take the FIRST defensive handgun course, we have no idea that

[*] What we learned in bullseye shooting is USELESS for defensive tactics and in fact is likely to get you seriously injured/killed!

[*] How much we still can learn by taking more training!​

Problem is that until we take that first step, we don't realize how much we are missing!

Len,

All I here is excuses all the time, ? when was your last class? And since this is the ?of the night what are your plans on getting some this year?

Mike,

My last classes were Randy Cain and the two Gabe Suarez courses both in 2005. I didn't take any classes last year.

I haven't studied the list of courses for this year on Jim's website yet, but have touched on some of the upcoming classes in discussions with Jim over the past few months.

BTW, I'm not making excuses . . . just describing what most probably have as excuses (and admittedly I was in that league until Jim Crews opened my eyes in 2004).

I think that the 1 day classes that Jim & crew run will convert a lot of folks and show them the importance of training. I think that it the best thing to use as a tool to allow people to "see the light".

Situational awareness and mental preparation will keep you alive in most situations.

Lets be real most of us have commitments, i.e. kids, family, wives, etc… training is great but sometimes we can’t always get it. In a perfect world when I have no kids and no commitments I could take a few courses a year. But f***, football, boy scouts, soccer, fishing, camping, I can’t get away for a whole weekend like I used to. But I tell you what I hope Jonny Hommie tries to get my wallet when I am out with my boys getting ice cream….. My head is always in the game…. And I'll play my percentages against Jonny homeboy...

But f***, football, boy scouts, soccer, fishing, camping, I can’t get away for a whole weekend like I used to.

Exactly. When we come to the end of our road... I'd bet than many would say " I wish I spent for time with my wife and kids" but few would say "Damn I wish I spent more time training".

Situational awareness and mental preparation will keep you alive in most situations.

Lets be real most of us have commitments, i.e. kids, family, wives, etc… training is great but sometimes we can’t always get it. In a perfect world when I have no kids and no commitments I could take a few courses a year. But f***, football, boy scouts, soccer, fishing, camping, I can’t get away for a whole weekend like I used to. But I tell you what I hope Jonny Hommie tries to get my wallet when I am out with my boys getting ice cream….. My head is always in the game…. And I'll play my percentages against Jonny homeboy...

+2

But my Highpower is going to suffer this year because I want more defensive training. Some of the multi-day matches I wanted to go to in Tennessee and Kentucky will be going by the wayside to put money away for handgun training.

Exactly. When we come to the end of our road... I'd bet than many would say " I wish I spent for time with my wife and kids" but few would say "Damn I wish I spent more time training".

Not if you come to the end of your road tomorrow night at the local Stop&Rob.

Which could happen anyway, regardless of training. Some training is better than no training, but many folk don't have the resources to attend some of those high-priced classes.

I beleive one does what one can, and move on from there.

Which could happen anyway, regardless of training. Some training is better than no training, but many folk don't have the resources to attend some of those high-priced classes.

I beleive one does what one can, and move on from there.

Sure it could. However, training gives you a hell of a lot better chance at survival.

I also understand not having resources for high-dollar schools. JimC is offering TWO free classes in your guy's neighborhood and it looks like many folks are taking him up on the offer.

There are other ways to get training, as well. It's all up to whether folks who carry are willing to put forth the effort.

Sure it could. However, training gives you a hell of a lot better chance at survival.

Duh... I said that

I also understand not having resources for high-dollar schools. JimC is offering TWO free classes in your guy's neighborhood and it looks like many folks are taking him up on the offer.
To which only TWELVE (12) members can attend. And yes, I signed up for the class, but will see if I make the cut. But what about the other 1,974 members of the forum?

And before you get your tighty-whities ina bunch, I don't expect anyone to offer free anything. The point that the above classes are limited in scope and I don't believe what you're thinking of as training.

There are other ways to get training, as well. It's all up to whether folks who carry are willing to put forth the effort.

Yes there are and it still comes back to time and resources. If they can train, then fine. If not, that is there choice.

Duh... I said that

To which only TWELVE (12) members can attend. And yes, I signed up for the class, but will see if I make the cut. But what about the other 1,974 members of the forum?

And before you get your tighty-whities ina bunch, I don't expect anyone to offer free anything. The point that the above classes are limited in scope and I don't believe what you're thinking of as training.

Yes there are and it still comes back to time and resources. If they can train, then fine. If not, that is there choice.

If you want to start a pissing match - do it some place else.

I merely pointed out there are other options than, "...Those high-priced classes" you mentioned...period.

If you want to start a pissing match - do it some place else.

I merely pointed out there are other options than, "...Those high-priced classes" you mentioned...period.

There are always other options. That doesn't mean they are viable options.

There are always other options. That doesn't mean they are viable options.

Actually, the point I was trying to make is that there are viable options for those who just can't afford the time or finances to attend larger courses. Maybe a new thread on the topic could bring out ideas without subverting courses such as Jim's.

Actually, the point I was trying to make is that there are viable options for those who just can't afford the time or finances to attend larger courses. Maybe a new thread on the topic could bring out ideas without subverting courses such as Jim's.

An interesting interpretation of the text. Our definition differs, but we are on the dead-horse go-round now...

"Move along citizen, nothing here to see"...

True- however the odds in in our favor that that won't happen. The only point I'm making is that family, friends and other issues can take priority and understandably so.

True- however the odds in in our favor that that won't happen. The only point I'm making is that family, friends and other issues can take priority and understandably so.

I fully understand what you were saying.

I'm going to start a thread in the near future on other options for folks who just can't get to the bigger classes. It's not a substitution but sort of a bandaid.

The final exam

The following is a quote that is just about right.

"...the final exam will not come to him after he hears "Shooter ready" on the line, but rather when he hears "Yo Homey", at the Circle K."-Gabe Suarez

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom