Technician Level Frequencies/Bands

Hi All,

Just passed my tech test. However in my studying (rote memorization of mc questions), I never came across just exactly which frequencies/bands I can transmit on. Pretty basic, probably dumb, question but what bands can I transmit on as a tech?

I found this on ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

Which makes it look like I can only transmit FM voice in the GHz frequencies on the bottom left of the page? The rest is Green (phone/image) and Red (rtty/data)?

Thanks!
JC

Hi All,

Just passed my tech test. However in my studying (rote memorization of mc questions), I never came across just exactly which frequencies/bands I can transmit on. Pretty basic, probably dumb, question but what bands can I transmit on as a tech?

I found this on ARRL: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

Which makes it look like I can only transmit FM voice in the GHz frequencies on the bottom left of the page? The rest is Green (phone/image) and Red (rtty/data)?

Thanks!
JC
No you can transmit on all the vhf and higher bands. FM is a 'phone' mode.

Jason, congrats on getting your ticket. Welcome to the hobby that is 99 hobbies in 1.

As the color Band Plan chart shows, you can also Tx on the 6M band and a small slice of the 10M. The rest of of the HF bands will only let you Tx using CW. The bottom line is with a Tech license you are very restriced in the HF bands so I wouldn't get any HF gear until you get your General license. For now get a 2M/70cm rig, have a blast on the repeaters, join a weekly net or two, have fun, learn. Then get a General license and you can go around the world.

I need to respectfully disagree with the above post. We are on the upswing of a new sunspot cycle and 10M is open almost daily. Get a 25 watt 10M mobile rig used for $100 and a CB style mag mount antenna and work the world from your car! Don't miss the cycle peak as they only come once every eleven years. The sooner you start DXing on 10M and get the HF bug you'll upgrade and get on the rest of the HF bands. Installing and using a 10M mobile rig is no more difficult than a CB radio and you can work the world with 25watts!

BTW, you can talk on 10M SSB phone from 28.300 to 28.500

Thanks guys for all your feedback, helpful. Radio, do you have any suggestions where to buy a used 10M/25W at that price point? Are there mobile rigs like this that do HF, VHF and UHF combined?

Thanks!

10 meters was open yesterday and there were all kinds of dx stations working it.
In many ways the general ticket is easier than the tech ticket. Study a bit and go for it.

Thanks guys for all your feedback, helpful. Radio, do you have any suggestions where to buy a used 10M/25W at that price point? Are there mobile rigs like this that do HF, VHF and UHF combined?

Thanks!

Yup, head up to the Deerfield fairgrounds in NH this Friday or Saturday and there will be many at or below this price. You'll probably find a deal on a used or new antenna as well. Just make sure you get to test it before you buy it as this is a ham radio flea market and things can be misrepresented, I may have one myself in the junk box if I get a minute to look.

Hey guys, thanks I was aunable to go North this weekend unfortunately, if anyone knows of anyone looking to sell a mobile unit (if it does 10M even more interested) I'd be interested.
Tx
JC

Back
Top Bottom