Teasing myself, my AR-10 build parts list

Fortunately for my wallet, armalite has not made the AR-10A uppers and lowers available yet. Anyway, here is my desired parts list, I was hoping for some input from you guys. Just teasing myself at this point

1. Armalite AR-10A lower
2. Armalite AR-10A Upper
3. Armalite AR-10 Bolt Carrier group
4. BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
5. Trigger (currently unknown, possibly Gieselle 2 stage)
6. Standard AR-10 buffer and receiver extension
7. Magpul ACS-L
8. Noveske 16" barrel with taper pinned gas block
9. Daniel Defense 7.62 Lite rail 9 or 12 inch
10. Ergo Grip
11. FSC30 Brake
12. KAC Micro BUIS

Optics: Leaning towards Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10X56

This project is currently way off in the distance, though I may begin acquiring parts for it sooner or later. That's the plan for the holiday cash anyway.

I decided I need a good mid range heavier caliber rifle, I think/hope this should do the trick. I want one that uses SR-25 pattern magazines as they are cheaper, lighter, and more reliable from the research I have done, especially the Pmags. I don't mind pinning a few at 10 rounds. If I ever move out of here, I can get the 20 rounders. Also, if I ever really "needed" the thing, I'm sure I could get the 20 rounders. For range use, and possibly hunting, which is all the rifle would probably ever see, I should be fine with the 10 rounders, especially since I want it to be somewhat of a "SASS" gun rather than a blaster.

Mike

I think the biggest issue with AR patterned 308s is the lack of a consistent design spec, making it tough to mix and match all the parts the way you can with the AR-15 platform. It's fortunate that the 308 manufacturers lifted as many parts as they did from the AR-15 - at least those you can pick whatever you want.

As an example, I built a 308 AR using a Fulton upper on a CMMG G3 lower, both of which follow the DPMS upper and lower spec. The G3 lower was not a success, on mine or exodius's, but the 18.5" "Lightweight" Criterion barrel that Fulton used on their upper was great. I'd like to recommend that barrel to you, but I can't guarantee it would fit an Armalite pattern rifle. [thinking] I do have every confidence that the Noveske will work just as well, although personally, I wouldn't put a 16" on a 308.

However, the FSC30 I had Fulton put on mine works very well, and the Geissele triggers are really, really good. Pick the lightest components you can, everywhere you can, because the barrel and BCG for a 308 AR are really heavy compared to their AR15 counterparts.

Due to availability I will also be looking at the Rainier Match barrels and possibly the Mega MATEN upper and lowers, as I'd like to get it built this winter. So far all the parts I've sourced come in compatible versions for each. I'd like the AR-10A receivers, but if they remain elusive I've heard only goo things about the MATEN. My AR receivers were machined from forgings by Mega for AXTS and they are incredibly well machined.

I'm going with 16 inches as that should be fine out to 6-800 yards, and the longest "range" it will ever see will likely be 500. Much beyond that, I'll probably build a bolt gun.

I hear you on the weight issue, I have a pencil barrel and the DD lite rail on my AR15.

Mike

Ordered myself the upper and lower, along with the lower parts specific to the "A" model. Waiting for the rest to come as holiday gifts. I figured I'd get the receivers now in case of any election bs making them unobtainable for the next 2 years. Sometime in the winter I'll try to make a build video or two for youtube.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Ordered myself the upper and lower, along with the lower parts specific to the "A" model. Waiting for the rest to come as holiday gifts. I figured I'd get the receivers now in case of any election bs making them unobtainable for the next 2 years. Sometime in the winter I'll try to make a build video or two for youtube.

Mike

What receivers did you go with?

I have had a complete LR308 lower in my safe for a while, and have recently taken interest in finishing it, pretty close to what you are looking at doing. I plan to use one of the 16" Rainier barrels and I am up in the air on the forearm. I am thinking about one of the Troy tube/rail fore arm, or an other JP tube, I have one on one of my rifles and I really like it.

I ended up tracking down some of the new Armalite AR10(A) receivers that take the SR-25 pattern mags. The upper is supposedly slightly blemished under the anodizing but I've used blemished parts before and I couldn't even find the blemish on so hopefully this turns out the same. I almost went with the Mega MATEN uppers and lowers, but they were a bit more money and I personally like the look of the forgings over the billet uppers. I don't think I would have gone wrong with either.

I too am now looking towards Rainier barrels. I've done business with them in the past and love them. There is a lot of good word going around about the select and ultramatch barrels. Not yet sure if I would make the jump to the ultramatch for a 16 inch gun with the selects carrying a 1MOA or less guarantee, but we'll see. I am done buying stuff unless I either teach some more safety courses and put the money right towards it, or the holidays come around and I get money.

I'd like to try a few Geissele (which is apparently pronounced guys-lee, who knew) triggers before I settle on one. SSA, SSA-E, SD-C, and SD-E were all on my list, and now I've read some good things about there High Speed DMR, so who knows.

I like the troy tubes, but I am probably going to go with the daniel defense 12 inch lite rail. I have one on my AR and it feels to be about the same weight as the troy my roommate has on his rifle, and it uses it's own barrel nut, which I like.

I'm avoiding anything like the PRS or UBR stock because of weight as well. I am not a big fan of things being heavy that don't need to be heavy. My experience with the DD lite rails for the AR15 is that they weigh virtually the same as the tubes, so hopefully its not insanely heavy in the 7.62 version.

Mike

I ended up tracking down some of the new Armalite AR10(A) receivers that take the SR-25 pattern mags. The upper is supposedly slightly blemished under the anodizing but I've used blemished parts before and I couldn't even find the blemish on so hopefully this turns out the same. I almost went with the Mega MATEN uppers and lowers, but they were a bit more money and I personally like the look of the forgings over the billet uppers. I don't think I would have gone wrong with either.

I too am now looking towards Rainier barrels. I've done business with them in the past and love them. There is a lot of good word going around about the select and ultramatch barrels. Not yet sure if I would make the jump to the ultramatch for a 16 inch gun with the selects carrying a 1MOA or less guarantee, but we'll see. I am done buying stuff unless I either teach some more safety courses and put the money right towards it, or the holidays come around and I get money.

I'd like to try a few Geissele (which is apparently pronounced guys-lee, who knew) triggers before I settle on one. SSA, SSA-E, SD-C, and SD-E were all on my list, and now I've read some good things about there High Speed DMR, so who knows.

I like the troy tubes, but I am probably going to go with the daniel defense 12 inch lite rail. I have one on my AR and it feels to be about the same weight as the troy my roommate has on his rifle, and it uses it's own barrel nut, which I like.

I'm avoiding anything like the PRS or UBR stock because of weight as well. I am not a big fan of things being heavy that don't need to be heavy. My experience with the DD lite rails for the AR15 is that they weigh virtually the same as the tubes, so hopefully its not insanely heavy in the 7.62 version.

Mike

I am with you on the Rainier barrels, I have had great dealings with them in the past as well and read good things about their brand. I think I am going for the select as well. My lower has a carbine buffer on it now, and was looking at a MOE with Larue's monopod adapter, But I do like the ASC-L, and even Magpul's rifle stock if I were to wind up with an 18" barrel.

Keep us updated, one of these days I am going to buy some more parts for mine.

I have the ACS-L on my AR now, and I really like it. I believe the buffer tube for the AR-10s is slightly longer, no?

I don't think I'd go for the mono-pod adapter, but after it is all set up I may or may not use their cheek riser.

The "Goal" of this is build is to have a rifle that could be carried and used as a battle rifle, but also easily be set in to make 500+ yard shots. Will I ever need to, probably not, but I still like the idea, which is why I want to go with the TR22 for an optic, which gives me a good range of magnification, durability, and still weighs less than the HHS setup on my AR.

Mike

Sounds like a good build. I went with an Ar10b because i like the m14 patterned mags. Currently have a prs stock but like you said it is heavy. Only other thing i wanna change is the 20in A4 barrel. Going for the16in select from Rainier when they re back in stock.

I love my ACS-L stock. Check out jabtac.com - I got it from them for about $10+ cheaper than anywhere else that had it and great service. The MOE fixed stock is pretty sweet, though.

Just got my upper and lower today. I threw in the few parts I had (AR10A specific mag catch and bolt stop, take-down pins, and forward assist) and threw on a pistol grip just for %^&s and giggles for now. I can't find the "blemish" on the upper, so I'm happy. These are the tightest fitting upper lower combos I've ever seen. There is ZERO play, which is good. I posted a pic with the AR15 for a size comparison (yes I know I need the riser block for the magnifier), unfortunately I won't be making any more progress on it until after the holidays.

Mike

Last edited:
Can anyone who knows more about barrels give me any advice RE the Rainier Select vs Rainier Ultramatch?

Also, does anyone who knows anything about triggers give any insight on the Geissele SD-E VS SSA-E vs HS-DMR, and is there anyone in the western MA area that has any of those triggers?

Thanks

Mike

I have an SD-E on a 223.....I'll be in Lee at the IDPA match Sunday and can bring it along.

Did you see the application guide and summary sheet under Geissele's Tech support page? Those might help. I picked the SD-E because I like 2 stage pulls, didn't plan on using that trigger for service rifle, and wanted to try the flat trigger. Still no complaints....

Last edited:
I won't be able to make it out tomorrow, thank you though. I may just pull yge trigger on it so to speak, but I'm in no rush. I like the idea of a 2 stage with a moderate to light break for my application. Im glad you like the flat bow, would you go with it again?

Mike

Yes, I would. I'm not sure if it really makes a difference, but the flat bow feels better to me. When I was looking at triggers, I wasn't convinced the Geissele was worth the money - until I bought one. Now, I'm plotting how to put them in the rest of my ARs. [smile]

So does anyone have an AR-10 Action block? I have access to a barrel vice so I can just use that, but I love the panther claw for AR15 builds.

Rainier now has the Select barrels back in stock, but I am leaning heavily towards a Noveske Barrel under the buy once cry once theory. Also as far as resale goes, I'm sure it's easier to move a precision build with a Noveske barrel.

Mike

I was just on Noveske's site and looks like they aren't doing 7.62 these days. Don't know if they halted production or got out of them altogether. I was/am hoping to get their 14.5" or 16" barrel for a carbine upper build. My 20" A4 is quite hefty.

I have a magwell block if you need to bum one. My only action block is for 5.56.

The N6 is no longer being sold direct from Noveske. You can get them from Rainier Arms, 762 or DSG Arms.

I got an AR10 SASS over an N6 FWIW...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

More finish work is done with the N6 barrel from what I read in the interwebs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

That's pretty interesting. I heard Noveske does the barrels completely in house now. Anyway, I placed my order. I am not sure which direction I will be going with the rail system yet, I have a few ideas. I like the Midwest Industries new SS modular rails, and I love my DD lite rails I have on my AR15. I hear the bolt carrier groups are pretty damn backlogged so I'm in no rush. Also, I was intending to wait for the holidays to start putting this thing together... I have no discipline lol. I did wait until I made some more money off another course I taught to order the barrel though.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1665

I figure if you include the price of the pinned gas block and gas tube, it's only 150-170 more than the rainier select. Since this is a precision/battle rifle build, hopefully the Noveske barrel is worthwhile.

Mike

I put the Geissele SD-E in the lower today. I of course will have to shoot it at the range, but so far I think it's pretty good. I do have to say, I was not "Blown Away" and still am trying to decide if I am impressed enough to justify the price. The second stage isn't as clean as I was expecting it to be, but maybe I just built it up in my head. There is just a tiny bit of take up in the second stage. The trigger itself feels like it is on ball bearings (sear surfaces), but I think the disconnecter is where the tiny bit of feeling I get during the second stage is, so I am going to try getting some more lube on the spring. It still is an exceptional trigger which I would recommend, but it was a bit pricey. I think it is a good weight for my application though.

Mike

Still back-ordered for virtually ever on the bolt carrier group. I ended up pulling the trigger on the midwest industries gen 2 SS lightweight tube over the daniel defense. Since this rifle is going to be a but heavy, I figured I'd save a little weight on the handguard. If it sucks I can always trade it for the Daniel Defense :)

Mike

I just started buying the pieces for my MATEN project. Slow going for sure with everything on backorder. Luckily the upper receiver was back in stock a couple weeks ago that I that jumped on from rainier arms. Who knows when the lower will become available. The upper, a few 10 round KAC mags, and a new CMMG LPK is all I have to date. I want to go with an 18" Rainier Ultra Match but I will take whatever 16 or 18 inch barrel that comes available first. BCG's listed on EE's are going for a premium for sure, which I refuse to pay. As much I want to get this put together ASAP, I have a really hard time paying 3x/4x over vendor pricing in this current climate.

Last edited:
If anyone on this thread is looking for a buffer spring let me know, accidentally ordered the wrong one some time back and it's been gathering dust in my parts box ever since...

I just started buying the pieces for my MATEN project. Slow going for sure with everything on backorder. Luckily the upper receiver was back in stock a couple weeks ago that I that jumped on from rainier arms. Who knows when the lower will become available. The upper, a few 10 round KAC mags, and a new CMMG LPK is all I have to date. I want to go with an 18" Rainier Ultra Match but I will take whatever 16 or 18 inch barrel that comes available first. BCG's listed on EE's are going for a premium for sure, which I refuse to pay. As much I want to get this put together ASAP, I have a really hard time paying 3x/4x over vendor pricing in this current climate.

i have all the parts order to build a 18 inch sass. if i am lucky i might have everything in hand by late june.

Still waitin on the Bolt Carrier Group from armalite. They sajd late 2014 but I don't know if that includes current backorders. If it does they will be receiving an angry call.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom