• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teach me about the Beretta 90-series pistols

Good, that’s why we have choices.

I chose both. [laugh]

simple mixup: he was referring to the German glocks, not Austrian ones. The German ones if you put too much lube they become unsafe. Shit have you learned nothing in this thread?

Well I just spent $95 on a new Wilson Combat hammer spring, recoil spring assembly, and a sexy, super fast, skeletonized hammer. Before I saw this thread I didn't even know I needed them. It should renew interest in an old favorite. The Beretta 92 is a classic. Thanks kids.

IME… great gun and a keeper. I have had a few variations over the years..
taurus 92… way too shiny. never felt like quality. Never had an issue. Never shot it that much.

italian inox 92. Perfect, a keeper. Eats everything, has never jammed. More accurate than I will ever be. Have had it 25+ years.

italian compact. This was a great gun. I traded it for something at one point. I would love to get another. Everything the 92 was. Except smaller. All around perfect and as good or better than the 92.

96 centurion. US made. Rough. Noticeable swirls under finish. Generally felt gritty. And not smooth. good. Not great and it was in 40 so I sold it.

us made 92. Like the 96. Just really rough. No where near as well done as the Italian. Traded it.

if I were making a buying suggestion.. it would be Italian or buy a Glock. And I would opt for the compact over the full size. But mags are more expensive and much less common.

Here are the top three current Beretta 92's: Wilson Brigadier 92G, LTT 92G Elite RDO, 92X w/LTT RDOslide.
IMHO the best option is to buy a LTT or 92X directly from Langdon Tactical and have them drop in their optimized parts and do a trigger job.

For me the 92X checks all the boxes with a vertec grip and a rounded trigger guard.
The Langdon optimized trigger bar and hammer totally transform the DA/SA action from meh to f-ing sweet.

View attachment 526328

Also the original 92 was one of the most beautiful guns ever produced.

View attachment 526335
That is exactly what I spoke of.
This is a very good gun:

But at that price level CZ guns make more sense. If you go at well under $1k options for 92 line you will look at compromises and sequential upgrades.

If you want a heavy full metal competition brick - CZs are better made.

96 is the same as 92 but in 40S&W caliber. It's literally the same gun with a different barrel.

92 INOX is a stainless steel version of 92FS and is supposed to be the "Bling Beretta".
the 96 has different slide, bolt face slightly enlarged for base 40 case.

i have 96 inox brigadier (my avatar), Inox is just stainless steel and they make some guns in inox. i have some SS mags as well

the Brigadier version is different heavier slide.

Are Italian made ones still worth more than the American ones on the secondary market?

why would italian made 92FS be worth more? Please educate us on the differences. are German made HK45 or P30 worth more than US made?

Are Italian made ones still worth more than the American ones on the secondary market?

Not really, at least on a mass produced 92FS is concerned. Some of the american ones had "plastic" triggers but to be honest this didnt make a shit pot of difference, you were going to get a
shitty single action lurch mc creeper special either way 99% of the time.

Not really, at least on a mass produced 92FS is concerned. Some of the american ones had "plastic" triggers but to be honest this didnt make a shit pot of difference, you were going to get a

funny thing about plastic trigger is in cold conditions won’t freeze the shit out of trigger finger If drawing from a range/ low ride holster. metal framed pistols can be unbearably cold. another check in the win column for Glock!

it’s one of the reasons I use a cheesy ass hogue grips and plastic trigger on my two carry 92’s.

every factory 92 ive encountered had a very crisp SA break. not sure where you looked at 92’s.

Last edited:
92G do you have a 92G?
funny thing about plastic trigger is in cold conditions won’t freeze the shit out of trigger finger If drawing from a range/ low ride holster. metal framed pistols can be unbearably cold. another check in the win column for Glock!

it’s one of the reasons I use a cheesy ass hogue grips and plastic trigger on my two carry 92’s.
92G, curious about your name - do you own a factory made 92G?

Because 'import' is 'exotic'?
A true story regarding "import". My father in law went out to dinner with his wife while down in NC. He was perusing the import section of the beer menu when he came across Yueng Ling Lager. Being that he is from PA, home of Yuengling, he made the waiter aware of the error. It is a domestic beer. Waiter shrugged it off. People are buying it.

A true story regarding "import". My father in law went out to dinner with his wife while down in NC. He was perusing the import section of the beer menu when he came across Yueng Ling Lager. Being that he is from PA, home of Yuengling, he made the waiter aware of the error. It is a domestic beer. Waiter shrugged it off. People are buying it.
A true story regarding beer. I went out with some snooty colleagues from Europe and ordered a Stella for myself. Got laughed at and was told 'you do realize its basically considered equivalent of bud in europe right?' I said yep I like it so what? Fancy bottles and shiny foil packaging get sales

I bought a Beretta M9 last year for $600. I purchased 8 preban 15 rd mags for $40 each. It’s one of my favorite 9mm pistols. Up there with my p226. No, it isn’t a carry gun for me, but it’s not heavy. It’s lighter than the Sig, and has better weight distribution than the Sig, which helps accuracy. The Beretta has run everything I’ve put through it. I mainly wanted to get used to the M9 stock, and now I’m throwing the Wilson Combat pkg at it for another $350. It’s accurate, goes bang every time, and was inexpensive. One of the best wonder 9s, IMHO. My favorite wonder 9 though is my Browning High Power, but that was substantially more money. I’d also like to get a CZ Shadow. I also had a Glock 19, which was meh. I have a 23 and prefer it. I also have a USP 9mm and USPc 9, a P30 9, etc, which were all substantially more money than the Beretta, but the M9 is easily one of my favorite pistols, above many of the pistols I listed.

Frankly, that anecdote is a big load off -
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it sounds Chinese.

OTOH, in Raquette Lake - it's what's on tap.
(I love how two of the regulars look like Fremen in their portraits).

every factory 92 ive encountered had a very crisp SA break. not sure where you looked at 92’s.
Mileage will vary, to be honest Beretta has been producing a lot of dogshit parts in recent history. The fit and finish of internals is not always top notch. Invariably they could all use a little love, even if that comes in the form of taking it to the range and feeding it a bunch of ammo.
I've also gotten some sorry OEM replacement parts that look like they came right out of the mold, Giuseppe slapped it on the belt sander for a second and Pino dropped it into a blister package and shipped it out.
There are a bunch of people that have mentioned that CZ are so much better, but often the internals look ten times worse. Tomas and Jan don't give two shits about shiny parts.
There is a reason why CGW and CZC do such a brisk business selling replacement parts.

Mileage will vary, to be honest Beretta has been producing a lot of dogshit parts in recent history. The fit and finish of internals is not always top notch. Invariably they could all use a little love, even if that comes in the form of taking it to the range and feeding it a bunch of ammo.
I've also gotten some sorry OEM replacement parts that look like they came right out of the mold, Giuseppe slapped it on the belt sander for a second and Pino dropped it into a blister package and shipped it out.
There are a bunch of people that have mentioned that CZ are so much better, but often the internals look ten times worse. Tomas and Jan don't give two shits about shiny parts.
There is a reason why CGW and CZC do such a brisk business selling replacement parts.

regarding beretta, my understanding is that the move to Gallatin TN has been something of a disaster.

beretta CS has always been mediocre although in past few years it seems to have gone a similar direction as S&W with focus on profits and cutting the skilled labor. my last need for them was an APX centurion with rear sight that could not be removed from dovetail no matter how much force applied. I shipped them the slide and rather than drifting the rear sight to fix my POI they put 5 rds through the gun, proved it group several inches to the left at 15 yards but called “within spec”. Annoying.

in terms of QC I’ve always found beretta solid until they starting manufacturing in TN. I think things are improving but it hasn’t been fast. There are beretta insiders on pistol forum who have been informative and doing a good job of preserving berettas reputation among gun crowd.

A few facts I didn't see skimming through the replies........ The 92 has a 4.9" barrel; the newer X series has a 4.7" barrel. The Centurions have a 4.25" barrel. The "F" series is a decocker/safety whereas the "G" series is decocker only in either the 92 or the 92X. So if he wants the safety to go on if he decocks the trigger, you get the F or if he wants to decock but have first shot in double action without the safety, then buy the G.

Last edited:
I carried one in Army, lived with it for 7 months 24/7 and hated because I was a Glock guy. Bought a M9 from Carl in February for $650 and added a Beretta extended mag release, Langdon TGIB, Langdon trigger and sexy hammer and Wilson reduced Decocker/Safety and mag guide. Still a boat anchor but HUGE improvement in trigger pull and looks so cool with Wilson Combat grips or VZ grips. Recently bought a Sig M11-A1 and the difference in trigger pull is night and day. If anyone wants to shoot it and brings a stock Beretta 92 you won't believe the improvements. I'm waiting on Greyguns to notify me to send Sig for Action Cleanup Perfection Service.

Attachments

• M9.jpg
    M9.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 20
  • M9 Wilson Grips.jpg
    M9 Wilson Grips.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I ... hated because I was a Glock guy. .... If anyone wants to shoot it and brings a stock Beretta 92 you won't believe the improvements.
I love my custom G17 with the upgraded everything, including the trigger. The stock 92FS is lightyears ahead in terms of trigger feel. We're talking about completely different levels. Where G17 excels is in handle comfort(I have aggressive stippling) and a more pronounced trigger reset "bump". In every other aspect, bone stock 92FS beats it. No, I'm not selling my Glocks!

Pretty sure my Italian made 92x Performance has a plastic trigger as well.

DA SA anything is stupid, but Beretta, CZ and Sig aren't going anywhere. There's enough ongoing demand for old stuff it won't die. Guns like P226, P228, P220, 92/M9, C75 ETC.. are iconic.
You just have it and you can’t buy it type os scenario - appreciation of classic approach and nothing more.

the 92X performance uses the extreme-s trigger group which is DLC coated. very unlikely that trigger is polymer.

You guys are correct. Not plastic. I got it mixed up with something else I have (FN)

Attachments

• B8FF5E25-298C-439B-9168-7CFFB9037ECE.jpeg
    B8FF5E25-298C-439B-9168-7CFFB9037ECE.jpeg
    537.3 KB · Views: 15
You guys are correct. Not plastic. I got it mixed up with something else I have (FN)

thank you for checking. I wasn’t 100% sure as the website for the x-treme S trigger group doesn’t specify. However it‘s $200 so I sure as hell hoped beretta used steel!

that gun is gorgeous. SA pistols arent my cup of tea but the 92X performance looks incredible. Beretta gave it a retarded name which has resulted in so much confusion w the rest of the 92X line. Now they have a “92X performance defensive” or other nonsense that lacks a pic rail. pistol forum members were all like WTF. These all steel guns should have been given a different designation, 92Y, 92-Guiseppe, 92-hot-pizza, anything else would be better. Beretta’s excuse is the 92X performance defensive is supposedly designed for IDPA. whatever. IDPA rules prohibit appendix carry so I have zero interest.

then again this coming from a company that thought it was a good idea to name a pistol “90-two”. im a beretta fanatic but still SMH sometimes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom