• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Teach me about the Beretta 90-series pistols

there is no MA trigger on a 92. None on any beretta models of any pistols. AFAIK Beretta doesn’t generate MA sku’s

D spring swap takes about 90 seconds and probably the only essential upgrade to a 92. Of note the 92X models come with D spring installed.

the 92 F -> G conversion takes about 15 minutes for those capable of basic pistol work.
Exactly the info I was looking for, thank you. As I mentioned, I've shot two or three at my MA club that were bought in MA and I was wondering if I bought one on my own if there would be any appreciable difference in the stock trigger.

Sounds like the 92X is the way to go for me, although I admit aesthetically the rail impacts the "curves" of the pistol.

Exactly the info I was looking for, thank you. As I mentioned, I've shot two or three at my MA club that were bought in MA and I was wondering if I bought one on my own if there would be any appreciable difference in the stock trigger.

Sounds like the 92X is the way to go for me, although I admit aesthetically the rail impacts the "curves" of the pistol.

No, the regular DA trigger is around 13lbs. Most 92/96 owners then immediately install a D-spring.

I like the 92X having only seen the pictures but its mostly a competition gun and for that kind of money, its hard to not justify a Langdon instead.

I like the 92X having only seen the pictures but its mostly a competition gun and for that kind of money, its hard to not justify a Langdon instead.

If you're talking the "92X Performance" then yes.... but the Regular 92X is just another gun. It's an unf***ed Beretta 92 for well under a grand.

Here are the top three current Beretta 92's: Wilson Brigadier 92G, LTT 92G Elite RDO, 92X w/LTT RDOslide.
IMHO the best option is to buy a LTT or 92X directly from Langdon Tactical and have them drop in their optimized parts and do a trigger job.

For me the 92X checks all the boxes with a vertec grip and a rounded trigger guard.
The Langdon optimized trigger bar and hammer totally transform the DA/SA action from meh to f-ing sweet.

View attachment 526328

Also the original 92 was one of the most beautiful guns ever produced.

View attachment 526335
what monster destroyed your backstrap?
1632519362598.png

Can you clarify, exactly what incorrect maintenance and magazines were the military orgs demonstrating when they had the failures he noted? Because I want to understand just how much more fastidious private owners ought to be than Marine armorers.
Buy factory Mags and it won't be an issue

I'm sure I'll be corrected but from my recollection/understanding some dumbass accountant figured out he could save a few bucks with non factory mags which. Either weren't tested to withstand the round count or just plain sucked.

Combined that with just the general distaste of people have for anything not a 1911 and boom you have a whole generation of 92 haters

Sounds like the 92X is the way to go for me
If you want the Die Hard classic look, go with 92FS but if you want the latest and greatest, 92X is the right choice! Internally they are pretty much the same. 92FS is also the least expensive. BassPro/Cabela sells them for about $600 and has them in stock(lately at least).

Can you clarify, exactly what incorrect maintenance and magazines were the military orgs demonstrating when they had the failures he noted?
The military originally contracted Check Mate Industries for their mags. These mags are the whole reason for jamming in 92's. Avoid them like a plague. Either get factory Beretta mags or Mec-Gar(the OEM for Beretta's mags).

The military originally contracted Check Mate Industries for their mags. These mags are the whole reason for jamming in 92's. Avoid them like a plague. Either get factory Beretta mags or Mec-Gar(the OEM for Beretta's mags).
Mec Gar 17rd flush fits = cats meow

If you friend wants to keep the traditional look, you can take a 92FS and put the Xtreme-S Trigger Group kit in it. The kit comes with all the 92X internals, including a D spring. It lists for $200 on the Beretta site, but with their frequent sales you can pick it up for less if you have a little patience. I got one for $170 with free shipping. It makes a noticeable improvement in both the SA and DA pull and in the trigger reset.

Mec Gar 17rd flush fits = cats meow

mec gar makes a flush 18
the 17 rd is factory beretta
both fit extremely tight with the slide forward so I do not run them as a +1

i still use the factory 15 rd mags because Wolff replacement springs are available. The mecgar mags cannot be serviced as easily, but they’re still excellent.

mec gar makes a flush 18
the 17 rd is factory beretta
both fit extremely tight with the slide forward so I do not run them as a +1

i still use the factory 15 rd mags because Wolff replacement springs are available. The mecgar mags cannot be serviced as easily, but they’re still excellent.

Maybe they don't anymore but mecgar used to make flush-fit 17s. They pumped out tons of them for P226 and Beretta. That platform is not lacking in mag choices for sure. Outside of promag and shit-mate most of the choices are cheap and decent, too.

if you guys want to laugh, check out the beretta 90-two.

despite being a beretta fanatic, they admittedly suck at naming their firearms especially the 92 series. someone at beretta thought it would be a good idea to outfit a 92FS with unnecessary trinkets and call it a 90-two. aside from having identical pronounciation as the 92, its an absurd name. They eventually fixed it with the model 92A1, which if you’re like me and enjoy the standard blackstrap hump is one of the cooler models available.

Maybe they don't anymore but mecgar used to make flush-fit 17s. They pumped out tons of them for P226 and Beretta. That platform is not lacking in mag choices for sure. Outside of promag and shit-mate most of the choices are cheap and decent, too.

mec gar’s baseplates are incredibly durable and survive endless drops onto ground. They use a softer polymer that is not prone to cracking. In contrast the beretta baseplates are harder and over time if the user drops them during mag changes they’ll tend to crack.

despite being a beretta fanatic, they admittedly suck at naming their firearms especially the 92 series. someone at beretta thought it would be a good idea to outfit a 92FS with unnecessary trinkets and call it a 90-two. aside from having identical pronounciation as the 92, its an absurd name. They eventually fixed it with the model 92A1, which if you’re like me and enjoy the standard blackstrap hump is one of the cooler models available.
Speaking personally: meh, weak.
4gyp3j.jpg

if you guys want to laugh, check out the beretta 90-two.

despite being a beretta fanatic, they admittedly suck at naming their firearms especially the 92 series. someone at beretta thought it would be a good idea to outfit a 92FS with unnecessary trinkets and call it a 90-two.
I actually want one just to have one

DA SA anything is stupid, but Beretta, CZ and Sig aren't going anywhere. There's enough ongoing demand for old stuff it won't die. Guns like P226, P228, P220, 92/M9, C75 ETC.. are iconic.
Stupid is as stupid does I guess
My first was a 92-M9 carried it for a year in a Crossbreed Supertuck, Then moved to a P-220 in a Supertuck,
Nothing like an all metal gun....
If you do get one, Get the 22 conversion and as said the D spring

The 90-Two's only claim to anything was the swappable grip frame - I think Beretta made it solely to play around in the pistols-with-changeable-grip market. Can basically be switched between Vertec and regular. Not horrible. They also claim the parts, especially upper parts, are not interchangeable. Mostly wrong. Kinda fun dropping a 96fs upper on one with a .357Sig barrel in it.*

[*] this is not gunsmith advice

M9A1 has an extra thick front trigger guard, supposedly because the marines found the M9 trigger guard useful as a “compliance” striking tool. One cool feature w the M9A1 is if one ever has to smack the shit out of something, it will do the job. Now try that with a M17!

1632587021253.jpeg

Yeah, nothing as heavy...

Sig P320 full size - 29.6 oz
Beretta 92X full size - 33.3 oz

weight difference is less than 4 oz, which is noticeable but not as much as many assume

The 90-Two's only claim to anything was the swappable grip frame - I think Beretta made it solely to play around in the pistols-with-changeable-grip market. Can basically be switched between Vertec and regular. Not horrible. They also claim the parts, especially upper parts, are not interchangeable. Mostly wrong. Kinda fun dropping a 96fs upper on one with a .357Sig barrel in it.*

[*] this is not gunsmith advice
And the dust cover cover

And the dust cover cover
Yeah, LOL, the rail cover that's about as grabby as the rail itself.

Actually, that made me remember, it does have a recoil buffer in it, which makes it even more ideal for a .357Sig upper. IMHO. *

>-)

[*] -Don't try this at home... go to someone else's home.

Glocks are garbage. I would take the Italian all day every day.
At some point, one has to decide whether they want to live by absolutes or whether they want to grow up and become an adult. Glocks are not garbage. They have their place and they have their benefits(weight, simplicity of maintenance, reliability, etc)

Back
Top Bottom