• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TCR22 Rifle - rust and where to buy?

Maryland (for a little longer), previously NH & ME
Last year this thread discussed the Thompson/Center T/CR22 rifle: TCR22 Rifle

And there's a newer one here ( Thompson / Center TCR22 ) in which enbloc still speaks favorably about it.

I'd like to get one. I was wondering if anyone who got one last year could talk about their experience with its reliability and accuracy, in particular about any rust as mentioned in one of the early commercial reviews.

Also, any suggestions on where to pick one up? I can't find any of the deals that were talked about last year. I'll be around Peabody, MA and Nashua, NH.

Thanks.

I have one, the trigger was a bit gritty at first but after 100 or so rounds it smoothed out. I have not done anything to the trigger yet.
accuracy is dependant on the ammo, with cci mini mags it was bigger groups than I expected but with standard vol rounds it settled into a nice tight group. Nice light and easy to shoot. I have a 10-22 also and I like the tc a little better. the mags are interchangeable but the tc with bolt hold open can be a little finicky to load the first round into. you must push down on the lever on the top of the mag or it won't load right. I am not sure the hold open is worth the price difference to me vs the 10-22 mags.. no rust observed.
no malfunctions with either of the ammo I used. (all cci for the record)

I run two for steel challenge,.. with mcarbo spring kits. They are light weight and I use ruger mags. No issues and they run fast and smooth. Mini Mags 40gr are dependable and give me nickel size groups at 25 yards.

I still stand by my T/C-R22. It is currently my most shot rifle. (there is a lot to be said about the cost-effectiveness of the .22LR round.)
It shows no signs of any rust or any flaws, and I have shot on dewy mornings and misty afternoons followed by infrequent cleanings and lubes.
My only complaint is still the loading procedure on their magazines. I actually use Ruger mags 95% of the time flawlessly.
In my opinion it is head and shoulders above an untuned Ruger 10/22. Its fit and finish far exceeds the Ruger in my opinion.
Add to that that it comes with many options that must be added to the great little Ruger just to get it on equal footing as the T/C-R22.
As to accuracy, I would say it is at least as good, or slightly better than the Ruger. (It is not a Bi-Athlon grade rifle by any means, but I do very well with it)
I still have a few Rugers, but they are collecting dust bunnies in the safe...

If the T/C-R22 had in anyway given me problems or let me down compared to the 10/22, I would have posted it in a heartbeat.
I feel accuracy in reviewing is critical because it may induce someone to buying it, and then hating it, and my opinion would be mud.
I love the rifle and you will too.

Four Seasons in Woburn (where I bought mine) still has one of the best deals on the T/C-R22. Carl throws in some extras to sweeten the pot too.
If you don't like 4S, ask your local shop to match. It never hurts to ask...

Oh, and at 4S it's $48 dollars less now than when I bought mine. (cash saves you $10 bucks alone...) Great deal.

Good luck and great shooting.

~Enbloc

TC12574-320x240_c.jpg

SPECIAL LIMITED TIME PACKAGE T/C T/CR22

This package includes a T/CR22 rifle, a RED/GREEN Dot sight, sling and T/C carry case

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FEATURES OF THE T/CR22

ONLY $279.95/269.95 WHILE SUPPLIES LAST

Last edited:
Oh, and Welcome! to NES Jim.

I love seeing Pro-Gun folks moving into Massachusetts, opposed to moving out.
Together We can beat these oppressive laws and Lawmakers.

~Enbloc

Back
Top Bottom