• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taxing Assault Weapons is the solution

CrackPot

NES Member
Don’t Ban Assault Weapons—Tax Them

Article in The Atlantic. In many ways not work commenting on or acknowledging as another left wing statist looks for approaches to disarmament. One phrase stuck out for me

"if you wanted the convenience of having such a weapon at home, you could be taxed for the privilege"

Privilege. What an over used word by the left. Your ability to defend yourself is a privilege. This so completely sums up the general confusion over the issue.

Once could also point out the hypocrisy. The left is so focused on "income equality", wealth redistribution, giving necessary things in life (food, housing, phone, car, college, job) to the needy. And with this plan to tax guns, they disenfranchise the very people they are supposed to be the champions of.

If only my contempt for the left was not already maxed out...

Don’t Ban Assault Weapons—Tax Them

Article in The Atlantic. In many ways not work commenting on or acknowledging as another left wing statist looks for approaches to disarmament. One phrase stuck out for me

"if you wanted the convenience of having such a weapon at home, you could be taxed for the privilege"

Privilege. What an over used word by the left. Your ability to defend yourself is a privilege. This so completely sums up the general confusion over the issue.

Once could also point out the hypocrisy. The left is so focused on "income equality", wealth redistribution, giving necessary things in life (food, housing, phone, car, college, job) to the needy. And with this plan to tax guns, they disenfranchise the very people they are supposed to be the champions of.

If only my contempt for the left was not already maxed out...
Let's be clear, this is pretty much what was done with machine guns with the National Firearms Act of 1934. No ban, but tax and fee them where the expense was well beyond the means of the average folks of the day. An act BTW that even Antonin Scalia basically agreed with in his writings for the 2008 Heller decision.

The idiocy of this astounds me. 400 million guns, almost none of them registered...so who's gonna admit to owning them to that they can pay the Gov't for allowing them to exercise a constitutionally protected right?

I love how articles like this blithely say how easily people could just go ahead and store all their stuff at ranges. In this case, the guy claims you could avoid the tax by storing your evil killy weapon at a club.

Say my club has 250 members (it has a lot more). Say each member owns, oh, 4 evil killy guns (an average, and probably a conservative one). Where do these people think my club can safely and securely store 1,000 rifles? More to the point, how do these people think the club is going to pay for the secure facility they'd need to construct? That money would come out of the members, obviously. And I'm sure it would be plenty of money, too, once the .gov steps in with their regulations about how the "arms room" would need to be constructed, secured, and maintained.

But, oh wait. You get a tax exemption.

I love how articles like this blithely say how easily people could just go ahead and store all their stuff at ranges. In this case, the guy claims you could avoid the tax by storing your evil killy weapon at a club.

Say my club has 250 members (it has a lot more). Say each member owns, oh, 4 evil killy guns (an average, and probably a conservative one). Where do these people think my club can safely and securely store 1,000 rifles? More to the point, how do these people think the club is going to pay for the secure facility they'd need to construct? That money would come out of the members, obviously. And I'm sure it would be plenty of money, too, once the .gov steps in with their regulations about how the "arms room" would need to be constructed, secured, and maintained.

I don't think any of these leftists have ever been to, or inside a gun club, so they have no idea what goes into them, and what they cost to build and run.
Let alone being a paying member of one.
Furthermore, many of them have no idea what goes into building and running a business of any kind.
Most shit to them appears out of thin air, or by gov't decree.

If only we could go back to Henry III’s common law in 1253 whereby “citizens, burgesses, free tenants, villeins and others from 15 to 60 years of age are legally required to be armed”

That is, armor and a weapon!

So we all should have body armor and a full auto AR15 by law and if we don’t then we face the full force of that law.

Lol let's all store shit at the range. Aka let's make it so 1 team of professionals can walk off with enough weapons and ammo to arm a battalion. Then once that happens it's some other lunatic storage requirement.

I doubt the author of the article would support taxes on other constitutional rights such as free press. Doubt he would want to pay a tax every time he wrote an article

Congressman Vasili had this to say about gun control:

The right of the individual to keep and use weapons has a long tradition in Western civilization. The Greek philosopher Aristotle (384–322 B.C.) wrote in Politics that ownership of weapons was necessary for true citizenship and participation in the political system. By contrast, another Greek philosopher, Plato (428–348 B.C.), wrote in the Republic that he believed in a monarchy with few liberties and saw the disarming of the populace as essential to the maintenance of an orderly and autocratic system.
- The History of the Right to Bear Arms | Encyclopedia.com

Socrates on Gun Control and ISIS: A Dialogue | The American Spectator | Politics Is Too Important To Be Taken Seriously.

Garlic festival shooter bought his WASR three weeks before the shooting. He would be in jail before the tax bill or credit card statement reached him. What are they gonna do, garnish his canteen account?

A law like this would suck for ordinary gun owners and do nothing for mass shooters. People willing to die in a suicide mission aren't worried about taxes.

This is actually a thing in some European countries. I believe sport shooters are required in the Motherland to keep handguns at the gun club. However, these countries already tie ownership to being a member of a gun club. Meaning you join the gun club prior to buying a gun and membership in the club is an essential element of being allowed (yes, allowed) to own a gun. Two countries that come to my mind immediately are the Netherlands and Poland. Ian from Forgotten Weapons has a series on gun laws in other countries and I remember this topic coming up with Russian gun owners.

So the antis already have a gameplan. They just don't have any realistic means of implementation. Other than having a stranglehold on the media.

If only we could go back to Henry III’s common law in 1253 whereby “citizens, burgesses, free tenants, villeins and others from 15 to 60 years of age are legally required to be armed”

That is, armor and a weapon!

So we all should have body armor and a full auto AR15 by law and if we don’t then we face the full force of that law.

All adult male settlers in Portsmouth, RI during the 1600s had to own a musket, sword, ammo, and appropriate accouterments to be able to serve as a militia. By law.

This is actually a thing in some European countries. I believe sport shooters are required in the Motherland to keep handguns at the gun club. However, these countries already tie ownership to being a member of a gun club. Meaning you join the gun club prior to buying a gun and membership in the club is an essential element of being allowed (yes, allowed) to own a gun. Two countries that come to my mind immediately are the Netherlands and Poland. Ian from Forgotten Weapons has a series on gun laws in other countries and I remember this topic coming up with Russian gun owners.

So the antis already have a gameplan. They just don't have any realistic means of implementation. Other than having a stranglehold on the media.

All adult male settlers in Portsmouth, RI during the 1600s had to own a musket, sword, ammo, and appropriate accouterments to be able to serve as a militia. By law.
T.Rex Arms has a pretty cogent well speaking wrt this subject on a video that popped up on muffed recently. I’m sure the “arm yourself” law goes back much further than the 13th century even.

So they decide to tax the guns. Then they realize that they don’t have any idea how many there are or who owns them. Registration would be their only answer.

You can’t tax what you don’t know about
You can’t register what you don’t know about
You can’t require liability insurance on what you don’t know about
And
You can’t confiscate what you don’t know about

You can’t tax what you don’t know about
You can’t register what you don’t know about
You can’t require liability insurance on what you don’t know about
And
You can’t confiscate what you don’t know about

This is the internal battle I’m having with respect to insurance. My insurance company wants to know the serial number of each gun to which I refuse to give. They won’t insure them, so I’ve found a couple of gun-specific insurance companies that I’m doing more research on those. They’re kind of like the Haggertys of guns, though I don’t own anything fancy.

Back
Top Bottom