• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax stamp

Hey guys, in reviewing the information it appears applying for the stamp is actually pretty easy. Take existing AR, go to the website fill out the paperwork to request making it an SBR, wait and hopefully you're approved. My question is, I know I need some sort of special "tax stamp" before I even apply to convert the gun correct? How does one apply? Do I need to do this as a trust with a group of people or can I do it solo? Anyone know the process involved? I'd rather not deal with having to do it with a group of people, just because getting everyone all together and finances lined up seems like it'll be more of a hassle than it's worth but I have a few buddies I could do this with if that's what it came down to.

Thanks in advance!

Seriously duped his own thread? Honestly someone needs to do some reading in existing stickies and threads before creating multiple threads on SBR's, NFA, & tax stamps. Then if you have questions after reading the available info, come to us with questions. I can't imagine there will be many.

Seriously duped his own thread? Honestly someone needs to do some reading in existing stickies and threads before creating multiple threads on SBR's, NFA, & tax stamps. Then if you have questions after reading the available info, come to us with questions. I can't imagine there will be many.

I didn't dupe, the original post was more about the filing of the forms with the ATF. I was under the assumption that PRIOR to do anything with the ATF for the actual rifle. I had to get some special "stamp" or licence then do all that registering of the rifle.

• If you live in MA you need an LTC that allows you to purchase and possess the firearm in question.
  • No trust is needed if your Chief LEO will sign off (if you wait until August you won't need this either) but you will need photo & fingerprints to submit with the paper form.
  • If you wish to submit electronically before July and avoid CLEO signoff then you will need a trust.
  • For two more months you can use the trust and avoid photo, fingerprints, & CLEO signoff.
  • Starting in July you will need fingerprints & photo for all applications. CLEO signoff will not be required for any applications. At that time, the trust advantage will be limited to pre-existing applications and electronic filing.

If you don't have an NFA Trust you will need passport sized photos, fingerprints and the signature of your chief law enforcement officer approving your build. Then you fill out Form 1, which you have to do manually. Rules are different if you have a trust.

Did you read the pages both Stryker and bigblue included in their responses? The answers to your questions are spelled out in the "How do I make my own NFA item?, or The NFA Form 1 Process" section.

• Starting in July you will need fingerprints & photo for all applications. CLEO signoff will not be required for any applications. At that time, the trust advantage will be limited to pre-existing applications and electronic filing.

If you have an existing trust, do you still need photos/fingerprints after 41P is enacted?

I read all that, bug again I thought this was after you obtained "permission" to build it. So essentially, I have to go to my CLEO say hey I ant to build this can I get your permission? I've already got my LTC, then fill out the form online after submitting my fingertips and photo? That seems a lot easier than I thought.

If you have an existing trust, do you still need photos/fingerprints after 41P is enacted?

If you file for new stamps then yes.

You can only use the online form with a trust.

Easier? Most CLEO's will either not have a clue what you are asking or tell you to pound sand outright. That is actually why the ATF changed the rules.

I read all that, bug again I thought this was after you obtained "permission" to build it. So essentially, I have to go to my CLEO say hey I ant to build this can I get your permission? I've already got my LTC, then fill out the form online after submitting my fingertips and photo? That seems a lot easier than I thought.

If you don't have a trust you have to fill out the form manually and snail mail it. So you'd bring the filled out copy to the CLEO and explain what you want to do. Then he can Yay or Nay your request...that is until 41F goes into effect, which will eliminate CLEO signoff.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, but think if you submitted photo/prints within 24m of your new app, they are not required. Its now 41F

https://www.atf.gov/file/100896/download[/QUOTE

Thanks for the clarification.

If you don't have a trust you have to fill out the form manually and snail mail it. So you'd bring the filled out copy to the CLEO and explain what you want to do. Then he can Yay or Nay your request...that is until 41F goes into effect, which will eliminate CLEO signoff.
Ah okay so fill in this form 1, get cleo sign off send in the $200, then go online and register your build. Then for MA needs fill out the form to register it to you? That essentially it?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ah okay so fill in this form 1, get cleo sign off send in the $200, then go online and register your build. Then for MA needs fill out the form to register it to you? That essentially it?

And on that level of reading comprehension, I'm out.

There is no online component for the ATF paperwork unless you have a trust. The Form 1 is both your request and your "registration."

Once you get your tax stamp you have your build engraved with specific information: https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/2010/03/batfe-engraving-requirements-f.html

Last edited:
There is no online component for the ATF paperwork unless you have a trust. The Form 1 is both your request and your "registration."
Oh this makes sense, so it's really just this one form in duplicate that's required? That's a lot easier than I thought. Well that and the MA registration portion obviously.

This was helpful, I was over complicating things.

Make sure all of the DOCs are correct and included. The last thing you need is to wait 4 months be rejected and start the process over again. I think some examiners will let you correct your error(s) and not have to resubmit, but this is not always the case. There are a ton of videos on youtube, thats how I learned.

Make sure all of the DOCs are correct and included. The last thing you need is to wait 4 months be rejected and start the process over again. I think some examiners will let you correct your error(s) and not have to resubmit, but this is not always the case. There are a ton of videos on youtube, thats how I learned.

Thanks man, I also messaged Rock Maple as you had suggested in my other post. I wanna see if a trust is right for me, and if I can even get enough people haha

Thanks man, I also messaged Rock Maple as you had suggested in my other post. I wanna see if a trust is right for me, and if I can even get enough people haha

I used RockMaple and was easy process

"Mordecaidrake Trust" can just be you as the trustee so no need to have other people in it (unless you want to)

Be aware that as of July (13th?), eForms will no longer be available to Trusts or similar entities because of all the new Obama BS with having all "responsible" persons of the trust/corp submit fingerprints, photo id, and essentially a 4473.

OP, be advised (since I don't get that you have a solid understanding of the process from these posts) that you CANNOT build your SBR until your form 1 has been approved by the ATF. The "tax stamp" is affixed to the form that is returned to you.

Be aware that as of July (13th?), eForms will no longer be available to Trusts or similar entities because of all the new Obama BS with having all "responsible" persons of the trust/corp submit fingerprints, photo id, and essentially a 4473.

OP, be advised (since I don't get that you have a solid understanding of the process from these posts) that you CANNOT build your SBR until your form 1 has been approved by the ATF. The "tax stamp" is affixed to the form that is returned to you.

Thanks man, I did figure that was the case. Once approved I could then actually build the SBR. The videos I had all watched said you file the report with what you PLAN to build, then once approved bam you buy the parts and build it.

Living in MA, I'm used to submitting the fingerprints and all that anyway. So I don't mind that I'll have to submit passport photos, and fingerprints. I'll live haha.

Thanks man, I did figure that was the case. Once approved I could then actually build the SBR. The videos I had all watched said you file the report with what you PLAN to build, then once approved bam you buy the parts and build it.

Living in MA, I'm used to submitting the fingerprints and all that anyway. So I don't mind that I'll have to submit passport photos, and fingerprints. I'll live haha.

There are other benefits to having a trust. Rock maple can get into when he replies

Oh really? That's even more intriguing. Is adding people easy if needed?

Gets the docs signed and notarized. I just efiled a form 1 using my trust this AM. Took less than 30min and that included going over every entry 4 times

Gets the docs signed and notarized. I just efiled a form 1 using my trust this AM. Took less than 30min and that included going over every entry 4 times

This is good news, thanks man! I messaged Rock yesterday, I'm awaiting feedback. I was seriously over complicating this process, hence all my confusion. Thanks for bearing with me!

Back
Top Bottom