• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax return....

Something doesn't sound right. $0.77?? I haven't seen the IRS determine taxes to the penny with rounding eliminating that sort of nonsense. And an immediate threat of garnishment of wages and assets? Something doesn't sound right... What's the rest of the story?
Good point. I didn't think about that. I will ask him.

Something doesn't sound right. $0.77?? I haven't seen the IRS determine taxes to the penny with rounding eliminating that sort of nonsense. And an immediate threat of garnishment of wages and assets? Something doesn't sound right... What's the rest of the story?

He said it was state not federal. I guess some states still calculate to the penny. Seems silly. His CPA said for him to just pay it. He is good friends with his CPA so he isn't going to worry about holding him accountable.

I honestly don't know who or what is worse.

We recently got two 3-page letters from the IRS, and yesterday received a US Treasury check for $2.73 from what we presumably "overpaid" in 2019.

I trust this about as far as I can throw a cheesecake under water. I can't fathom how much that "check" cost to snake through the system. :eek:
I have a $1.00 check from the IRS for tax year 1994 which I frame!

I filed in February and there was unemployment compensation that I received when my parttime hours got cut in Spring 2020. included in my return. The $10k non taxable limit had not yet been signed into law so taxes were paid on it.
Yesterday the IRS sent me a refund check for $518. Nice surprise as figured it would take longer.

99% sure I messed up the COVID bucks question but honestly I don’t even care. Zero communication, just the federal government holding my money hostage. I know I know, I should manage my withholding better and moot the issue. Irrelevant. Truly makes my blood boil. Boston tea party: the remix anyone?

100% of the returns that my office filed that were held by the IRS involved refunds and stimulus money. If you filed a return that had both of these factors and you haven't seen your refund, try calling the IRS at (800) 829-1040 and see if you can submit a revised page 2 of your 1040 with the refund and stimulus correctly calculated using the updated worksheets.

I got my federal return 4 months to the day after I filed. They said it was a mess up with the covid bucks question.

Client got a demand notice yesterday for $91,000. Error on the IRS part. We fixed this about 9 months ago already. All F’d up.

Just got a very agitated phone call from the estranged wife. She has not received her tax return for 2020 (a rather large sum for her) and wanted to know what happened. Like I should know?

Back story: I use H&R Block's computer program to do taxes. My taxes, my son's taxes, my 92 yo mother's taxes, the absent wife's taxes, the absent wife's 86 yo mother's taxes. (insert an appropriate Rodney Dangerfield clip here)

Well I open up the 2020 program to see if there is anything there and lo and behold there is a note from the IRS dated May 7th that her Federal return was "Rejected" because "Your prior year AGI Doesn't Match IRS Records"'. Since she shares almost no information with me I had no idea that she had not gotten her return until now. And I had no reason to go into the program and check on her return so it's probably somehow my fault not knowing this and letting her know. The email address she used for any messages from the government is one that has had problems, not to mention that she is not very good at watching her email unless it's something she likes.

She hates and does not trust the gubmint in the first place and this is just setting her off and I have to put up with it.

Sometimes I feel like I should be canonized. Or maybe just shot out of a cannon.

Just got a very agitated phone call from the estranged wife. She has not received her tax return for 2020 (a rather large sum for her) and wanted to know what happened. Like I should know?

Back story: I use H&R Block's computer program to do taxes. My taxes, my son's taxes, my 92 yo mother's taxes, the absent wife's taxes, the absent wife's 86 yo mother's taxes. (insert an appropriate Rodney Dangerfield clip here)

Well I open up the 2020 program to see if there is anything there and lo and behold there is a note from the IRS dated May 7th that her Federal return was "Rejected" because "Your prior year AGI Doesn't Match IRS Records"'. Since she shares almost no information with me I had no idea that she had not gotten her return until now. And I had no reason to go into the program and check on her return so it's probably somehow my fault not knowing this and letting her know. The email address she used for any messages from the government is one that has had problems, not to mention that she is not very good at watching her email unless it's something she likes.

She hates and does not trust the gubmint in the first place and this is just setting her off and I have to put up with it.

Sometimes I feel like I should be canonized. Or maybe just shot out of a cannon.
It's your own fault for trying to help.

99% sure I messed up the COVID bucks question but honestly I don’t even care. Zero communication, just the federal government holding my money hostage. I know I know, I should manage my withholding better and moot the issue. Irrelevant. Truly makes my blood boil. Boston tea party: the remix anyone?
Right there with you Buddy. Still waiting.

So here it is. January 10th and I still haven’t received my tax return. It going to be rather large because I also never received a penny of the stimulus payments.

I called the automated line they have to check the status and the robot told me no information is available. That’s the same thing it told me last year when I was looking for my stimulus.

What should my next move be? It seems like there is no way to call a number and get a live person.

So here it is. January 10th and I still haven’t received my tax return. It going to be rather large because I also never received a penny of the stimulus payments.

I called the automated line they have to check the status and the robot told me no information is available. That’s the same thing it told me last year when I was looking for my stimulus.

What should my next move be? It seems like there is no way to call a number and get a live person.

From 2020, I assume?
You have your identity stolen?

Sorry I have no advice for you. I would calculate the interest on what they owe you.
If you under pay they tack on the interest for what you owe.
Its a kick in the ass, b/c they can't do their job in a timely manner.

You searched for contacts?
I assume you looked elsewhere first...😉

Both State & Fed owe you + Stimulus $$ ?

@In God We Trust

Found this guide for reaching someone at the IRS:

and the IRS bill of rights:

Generally, if you fully paid the tax and the IRS denies your tax refund claim, or if the IRS takes no action on the claim within six months, then you may file a refund suit. You can file a suit in a United States District Court or the United States Court of Federal Claims. However, you generally have only two years to file a refund suit from the date the IRS mails you a notice that denies your claim

From 2020, I assume?
You have your identity stolen?

Sorry I have no advice for you. I would calculate the interest on what they owe you.
If you under pay they tack on the interest for what you owe.
Its a kick in the ass, b/c they can't do their job in a timely manner.

You searched for contacts?
I assume you looked elsewhere first...😉

Both State & Fed owe you + Stimulus $$ ?
Yes I haven’t received either state or federal returns. They I owe me, I don’t owe them crap.

Someday, someday soon. The U.S. Government will call off all Refund Payments due to Rain...

Back
Top Bottom