• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tax return....

You're making a killing getting your own money back that you loaned the government at zero interest for the better part of a year? šŸ¤”
maxresdefault.jpg

I pay them about $1911 every quarter ... but I guess Iā€™m the one getting a 0% loan. Suckers!

Just met the accountant. Nice surprise this year. $1200 back between fed and state. I've owed every year for at least 20 years.

What changed:
Tax credit for a dependant full time college student

Increased my 401k payroll deductions by a large amount last year.

Sweet! May go start looking for that 44 mag revolver.

Just checked the IRS website. My return shows that it has been received but not yet approved.

Did ours the other day with turbotax as I have the last 10 years. Got $1250 more federal this year than we did last year. Don't know what accounted for it, but I'll take it. Maybe the wife going part time and taking pay cut.

What are the chances they ever audit the little guy?

So just checked my Federal Return Status and itā€™s statingā€Pending Reviewā€. That canā€™t be good. Audit time?

Do you have a particularly complex return?

Mine finally shows "Approved" and is due on Mar 10th.

Filed with TurboTax the 26th got my MA refund (lol) on the 4th and fed on the 5th. Never gotten it back that quickly before.

My Federal Return still isnā€™t showing up (mailed 2/22), I did get my state refund on 3/2 mailed 2/22 also.

I refuse to pay the state to file taxes and the Feds have Fā€™d up my wifeā€™s birthdate. Somewhere along the line her birthdate stopped matching and no more e-file. The only way to correct it is go to their office; from what I remember when this first cropped up itā€™s the IRS or Social Security. Good luck getting into one of the offices, getting them to admit it needs to be fixed and that happening. No idea which one is screwed up. Yes she has Real ID & a Passport both with her correct birthdate: not according to the IRS though.

Had to pay the tax bill which exceeded the cost of a nice 1911. My "pew-pew money" went to uncle Sam. I suppose it's for the better. Paying an exorbitant amount for ammo is very soul-crushing...

We took advantage of the ā€circuit breaker exemptionā€ for our 2020 Mass state return - received $1226.

ā€œThe Circuit Breaker ā€“ This exemption is available to residents age 65 and over whose property taxes exceed 10% of their income. This figure includes water and sewer bills.

What are the requirements?

• Own or rent residential property in Massachusetts and occupy the property as primary residence.
  • Have an annual income of $51,000 or less for a single filer; $64,000 or less for a head of household; or $77,000 or less for joint filers.
Who is not eligible for the Circuit Breaker Credit?

• Married persons who do not file jointly for this credit.
  • Those who are a dependent of another tax filer.
  • Those who receive federal or state rent subsidy directly; or those who live in a property-tax exempt facility.
  • Those whose property is assessed at a value of $788,000 or more.
These are great programs that many seniors in the Metrowest Massachusetts area could be taking advantage of. I suspect that if more people knew about these tax programs they would be filing for them. These tax programs are not well publicized so I am hoping to spread the word in order to help a few senior citizens save some money.ā€

... the Feds have Fā€™d up my wifeā€™s birthdate. Somewhere along the line her birthdate stopped matching and no more e-file. The only way to correct it is go to their office; from what I remember when this first cropped up itā€™s the IRS or Social Security. Good luck getting into one of the offices, getting them to admit it needs to be fixed and that happening. No idea which one is screwed up. Yes she has Real ID & a Passport both with her correct birthdate: not according to the IRS though.
Identity theft?

Has someone stolen her identity
and some fragmentary factoid of the other party's
has leaked into their shared records?

Not an informed guess - just spreading FUD.
[angry]

I'll get a total combined refund of about 1450.00. To the bank it goes and it will help offset the 3000 refrigerator being delivered in April that died in February. Damn when did they get so damn expensive?

We took advantage of the ā€circuit breaker exemptionā€ for our 2020 Mass state return - received $1226.

ā€œThe Circuit Breaker ā€“ This exemption is available to residents age 65 and over whose property taxes exceed 10% of their income. This figure includes water and sewer bills.

What are the requirements?

• Own or rent residential property in Massachusetts and occupy the property as primary residence.
  • Have an annual income of $51,000 or less for a single filer; $64,000 or less for a head of household; or $77,000 or less for joint filers.
Who is not eligible for the Circuit Breaker Credit?

• Married persons who do not file jointly for this credit.
  • Those who are a dependent of another tax filer.
  • Those who receive federal or state rent subsidy directly; or those who live in a property-tax exempt facility.
  • Those whose property is assessed at a value of $788,000 or more.
These are great programs that many seniors in the Metrowest Massachusetts area could be taking advantage of. I suspect that if more people knew about these tax programs they would be filing for them. These tax programs are not well publicized so I am hoping to spread the word in order to help a few senior citizens save some money.ā€

You may get a letter. The Communistwealth in their infinite wisdom has decided to "desk audit" many of the CB tax credit claims this year. When the letter comes, read it thoroughly and reply with what they ask, you should be fine. šŸ¤“

You may get a letter. The Communistwealth in their infinite wisdom has decided to "desk audit" many of the CB tax credit claims this year. When the letter comes, read it thoroughly and reply with what they ask, you should be fine. šŸ¤“

My mother-in-law got a letter last year on CB. After further review they denied her. Still not sure of the full reason for the denial.

I refuse to pay the state to file taxes and the Feds have Fā€™d up my wifeā€™s birthdate. Somewhere along the line her birthdate stopped matching and no more e-file. The only way to correct it is go to their office; from what I remember when this first cropped up itā€™s the IRS or Social Security. Good luck getting into one of the offices, getting them to admit it needs to be fixed and that happening. No idea which one is screwed up. Yes she has Real ID & a Passport both with her correct birthdate: not according to the IRS though.

I have had the same problem with my 91 yo mother. She has not had to pay any taxes for most of the last 10 years due to medical bills (her services in her assisted living facility count towards this since she is disabled). But I can't efile her return because of some discrepancy between the IRS and SS. I just paper file for her. I keep telling her to call SS and she says she will but she never does ("They always put me on hold.").

So we went to our tax guy today, he said we were getting 41 back from the Fed, I'm like sweet, we got pretty close to zero...good job there Walt! Wife looked at me like no dumb ass, 41 hundred!
She intentionally cut back her hours because last year we had to pay, guess it worked and that was our plan but then my company paid us time and a half for thee months for hazard pay for the China virus but we still made less overall.

A Sig P210 maybe in my near future!

Back
Top Bottom